Default Island Magazine Discussion Thread

This is a thread for those who have read Island, the comic anthology magazine by Brandon Graham and Emma Rios.

Feel free to discuss anything about this title.

So . . . what did you think of the art?

Did a new issue come out after all? My shop said issue #7 was delayed until like May due to Image's new scheduling demands? Quite a bummer too since they'd be bringing DeForge to Image which is exciting.

Honestly I've mostly been very impressed with this magazine so far, even liked most of the text pieces. The only comics that didn't really click with me were the Bulletproof Mummy stories (when you're doing such graffiti-inspired art, why oh why not carry that through to the wordballoons?!) and the Onta story in #6 was... Well it looked colourful, but just not the kind of stuff I tend to read haha.

Multiple Warheads is a personal favourite, but I found I.D. very cool, as well as the Simon Roy story. It's also introducing me to loads of artists I hadn't heard of before: José Domingo, Amy Clare, Tessa Black, Kate Craig... And those were all in the same issue!

Living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

The Simon Roy stor and ID have been my favorites so far. I've always wanted US publishers to do more anthologies, so I'm really liking Island so far.
    Read Prophet, live Stray Bullets.

Haven't tried it, but are people involved same as the ones who did various back ups in Prophet?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Haven't tried it, but are people involved same as the ones who did various back ups in Prophet?
    A bit of both, a few who worked on the main stories in Prophet too. Also a lot of newcomers though, quite a few women in particular who I hadn't hear of before.

Secretly still hoping they can land a few more big catches too like Chip Zdarsky or maybe more issues of Stokoe's Orc Stain, but I guess those are probably too busy with ducks or Godzilla or something haha.

Anybody else have something to share?

Good replies by the way, folks.

Incredible Member

I've liked it quite a bit, even when the stories weren't my cup of tea, because the artists are always good. There aren't enough anthologies on the market, but this one is solid. There hasn't been much filler in any of the issues, aside from that weird fashion spread in issue 5.

I was liking the series a lot more with the paperback-style binding on the first four, though. Honestly if they don't go back to that or drop the price, I may be out. Maybe keep buying it digitally, but I liked how the first four could sit on a bookshelf.