Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Exactly. As I said, it's the main sticking point I've had with the concept. If anything, the fact the non armored suit appeared to be simple cloth underlined how indestructible he is. If anything THAT is more intimidating.
    I don't think spandex is more intimidating than armor. It's much more friendly and less militar/theatening

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    I don't think spandex is more intimidating than armor. It's much more friendly and less militar/theatening
    umm...I wasn't saying the spandex is intimidating. Reread the context of what I said.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Still won't stop characters like Spider-Man, Dante from Devil May Cry or Dr. Who from making jokes about it and looking completely silly.
    And, again, if such things get under your skin or if your looking to pop culture to validate whether you choose to read Superman or be a Superman fan, then the problem is with you and your insecurities ("you" in the general sense, not you specifically ). I'm a 36 year old man who reads Superhero comics openly and proudly. If I worried what others thought of my choices of entertainment, then I'd be a mess.

(and the irony with the idea of Spider-Man poking fun at Superman for wearing spandex when HE HIM HIMSELF IS SWINGING AROUND IN A BLUE AND RED PAIR OF SPANDEX FOOTIE PAJAMAS really is delicious.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I can only say this as someone who was rather put off by the suit when originally trying to get into Superman stuff but reading an article in a golden age collection that better put the context of what the suit was and what it meant to Siegel and Shuster definitely helped me come around to respecting it. I think a lot of people that originally see it are predisposed to seeing it simply as a mismatch of tights, underwear, and cape rather than a look inspired by the classic strongman look. But I think if there were more of a emotion anchor to the set up it could change minds maybe?
    In my imagined fan fiction for the original Superman, I have him working as a circus strongman during the Depression before he arrives in Metropolis. I think he wears a blonde wig and calls himself Samson (thus the S).

It would be hard to work in the circus theme in modern comics, since for many those old school circuses are totally forgotten. It was a thing in comics for a long time to feature lots of stories about a circus (that and country fairs and carnivals)--even though those things were fast fading from the lives of most folks. I think it's because there's a parallel between comics and the circus--they are both trying to do the same thing for their audience (or were).

You could give Martha or Jonathan a history with the circus that could feature in Superman's origin story.

I did some research, a few years ago, in Vienna on the old circus (Zirkus) that was there in the Prater. There's a museum in the Prater that has pics and stories about the people who performed there. The strongmen (Athleten) would sometimes appear nude or almost nude, or in trunks or in animal skins.

See also Fellini's LA STRADA. Which has Anthony Quinn as a down and out strongman on the road. It's a great movie, but I can't watch it anymore because it breaks my heart in two--just too too tragic. Even thinking of it, as I am now, puts me in a profound funk.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    And, again, if such things get under your skin or if your looking to pop culture to validate whether you choose to read Superman or be a Superman fan, then the problem is with you and your insecurities ("you" in the general sense, not you specifically ). I'm a 36 year old man who reads Superhero comics openly and proudly. If I worried what others thought of my choices of entertainment, then I'd be a mess.

(and the irony with the idea of Spider-Man poking fun at Superman for wearing spandex when HE HIM HIMSELF IS SWINGING AROUND IN A BLUE AND RED PAIR OF SPANDEX FOOTIE PAJAMAS really is delicious.
    I think that part of superheroes is the ridiculous outfits. they could just use black armor like swat but they go full on color.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    The point... He... Doesn't... Need.. The... Armor... Superman doesn't have to frighten people or look bad ass. You're actually right. I wasn't contradicting myself.
    His 1930's costume was designed to look badass. It has not aged well, especially since the source of the design has become pretty much non-existant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Most people look at the classic costume and think it looks dated, silly, and out of touch.
    And this is based on what data? If you're going to claim "most people" think something, how do you arrive at that conclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    And this is based on what data? If you're going to claim "most people" think something, how do you arrive at that conclusion?
    i think that is more of a case of common sense context instead of a graphics survey hard data, the same could be applied for the classic suit. where is the data that claims it to be better? in fact this whole discussion is more based on hearsay and common sense than estipulated data of a survey (and, unsurprisingly, even a survey could be very wrong)

Incredible Member

Superman's "Classic" is no sillier than Star Trek's RGB style uniforms and Mini Skirt. The uniforms changed over the years but were just as "Silly" with brightly colored one pieces.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    Superman's "Classic" is no sillier than Star Trek's RGB style uniforms and Mini Skirt. The uniforms changed over the years but were just as "Silly" with brightly colored one pieces.
    Well, that actually is very silly indeed.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

As a pro wrestling fan, I've always loved the trunks. Some people getting so vexed over a pair of red trunks is just so silly to me.

That said, I really do like the BvS suit and if they made that his costume going forward, I'd have no problem with it outside of making it a bit brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    i think that is more of a case of common sense context instead of a graphics survey hard data, the same could be applied for the classic suit. where is the data that claims it to be better? in fact this whole discussion is more based on hearsay and common sense than estipulated data of a survey (and, unsurprisingly, even a survey could be very wrong)
    "Common sense" has nothing to do with it. It's an opinion, nothing more. The truth is, you don't know any more than I do what most Superman fans, let alone what most people, think of Superman's classic outfit. And unless someone actually surveys the fans, there is no way to really know.

Fashion and changing times are not a standard to measure opinion by, because Superman's costume is not real clothing. If Clark Kent was still wearing butterfly collars and a purple striped suit, we could safely say his fashion was out of date, and stuck in the 70s, because Clark Kent generally reflects a contemporary man in appearance. Superman doesn't. No one except possibly a small subset of performers wore anything like his costume even when he was created, so the fact that almost no one wears "trunks on the outside" today is irrelevant, because that was the case when he was created as well. It's a fantasy costume, meant to make him distinctive in appearance.

My opinion: it worked perfectly well for 74 years, and there was no need to change it because some editor thought it should be "modernized". There's nothing any more modern or believable about the armor than there was anything outdated the old costume. They're both fantasy costumes. Neither is any more credible than the other in a real world setting.
    Last edited by andersonh1; 02-23-2016 at 04:49 PM.

"Common sense" has nothing to do with it. It's an opinion, nothing more. The truth is, you don't know any more than I do what most Superman fans, let alone what most people, think of Superman's classic outfit.
    but common sense is opiniated, it is colective, but still... i dont understand your point then, care to clarify a little more?

BANNED

Fashion and changing times are not a standard to measure opinion by, because Superman's costume is not real clothing. If Clark Kent was still wearing butterfly collars and a purple striped suit, we could safely say his fashion was out of date, and stuck in the 70s, because Clark Kent generally reflects a contemporary man in appearance. Superman doesn't. No one except possibly a small subset of performers wore anything like his costume even when he was created, so the fact that almost no one wears "trunks on the outside" today is irrelevant, because that was the case when he was created as well. It's a fantasy costume, meant to make him distinctive in appearance.
    The classic Superman costume was based on what was contemporary in the 30's forcircus strongmen.
    This particular subculture pretty much doesn't exist anymore, and what remains of it upgraded its wardrobedecades ago.

Therefore the classic Superman costume is outdated and archaic.

"Common sense" has nothing to do with it. It's an opinion, nothing more. The truth is, you don't know any more than I do what most Superman fans, let alone what most people, think of Superman's classic outfit. And unless someone actually surveys the fans, there is no way to really know.

My opinion: it worked perfectly well for 74 years, and there was no need to change it because some editor thought it should be "modernized". There's nothing any more modern or believable about the armor than there was anything outdated the old costume. They're both fantasy costumes. Neither is any more credible than the other in a real world setting.
    the armor also makes him distinctive, and as carabas said the subculture that the suit originated from changed too. i also like things from the past, like plate armor and swords, but my likes doesnt mean it fits the context of modern days, and even if i get in the topic of fantasy, the outfits in said fantasy will still portray the time frame in which the tale is being depicted