Good on PAD to bring in some of the other New York Spidey natives too

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

So . . . wonder what'll happen if spoilers:
    Gabriel O'Hara II
    end of spoilers and Mayday Parker team up. Or spoilers:
    Gabri
    end of spoilers and Annie May Parker. Or maybe spoilers:
    Gabri
    end of spoilers and Benjy, Mayday's bouncing baby brother.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

^Good point there. spoilers:
    Gabri can't be an adult only two years in the future, so he must be a time traveller. And he would be around in the same timeframe as the MC2 heroes.
    end of spoilers

Have caught up on the latest issue. Good stuff. Tempest's look has grown on me. And good to see Roberta getting some more mobile game love. Nice to see we have an established 2099 cast of regulars now.

Gonna be real pissed if they end things by killing off Miguel, though.

Incredible Member

Can I just get one teamup with Longshot plz.....I really liked the 2 characters friendship back in Exiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Man-Thing View Post
    Have caught up on the latest issue. Good stuff. Tempest's look has grown on me. And good to see Roberta getting some more mobile game love. Nice to see we have an established 2099 cast of regulars now.

Gonna be real pissed if they end things by killing off Miguel, though.
    i dont think they will kill him off.. but he most likely going to be pushed to the back.. 2099 from ANAD at the start was really good

It's been a long time since I've done something other than lurk this board. But after reading Spider-man 2009 very last issue, I feel I need to log in to talk about what happened.

I've been really disinvested in Peter Parker after the civil war and OMD debacle. Not for lack of trying, I'm still reading ASM to this day, but I can't relate to this Peter anymore. He doesn't sound like a relatable person. He sounds like a moronic manchild most of the time. MCU spidey is not doing it for me either.

Anyway, I can say I've always been more interested in Miguel than in Peter, even though Peter used to be one of my favourite heroes. So when I heard Peter David was going to write more Miguel stories, I was so happy. I've read every issues of those new volumes. I've been on the edge of my seat several times while reading. I think there's been some great world building and some amazing stories. I can say I've loved most of those new adventures.

I do think Peter David missed some opportunity when he totally let go of Tiberius stone for instance, or when he decided that Liz would do nothing of importance.

Today, there is this feeling that the big finale has been really rushed. It is by no means bad. I actually quite liked this ending. But obviously, it was really rushed. It needed a good ten more issues to be really satisfaying imo.

This last issue should have been a double issue for instance. It feels too short, too quick, too less. I mean, this is basically (spoiler for something not spidey related at all, I will just say it's about a video game related to time travel) steins gate ending, but not nearly as good. Not nearly as clever or nearly as effective.
    END OF SPOILER

I wouldn't say Peter David dropped the ball. But I do think this ending needed to be better and it was rushed.

In the end, I'm glad we got some more time with Miguel. I whish we got more, and I think the end result, while really good, could have been really great.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I would largely agree. I mean, the whole point of Miguel staying in the present was to try to change the future for the better and now that he's just back in 2099/2100 like that . . . has anything changed? Is the World of Tomorrow any better than it was originally because of Miguel's efforts in the present? That aside, I am still hopeful that someday Peter David will get another crack at Miguel and further explore and redevelop the world of 2099, and overall, it was one hell of a trip.

And yes, one point I'd definitely agree with you on is that Miguel O'Hara is the adult Spider-Man that Marvel won't let Peter Parker be anymore.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The whole last arc felt rushed. When will they allow 2099 to have a not rushed ending?

On the plus side, Kron's on the Venomverse spread, so hopefully that means he's actually in it to some degree

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    Anyway, I can say I've always been more interested in Miguel than in Peter, even though Peter used to be one of my favourite heroes. So when I heard Peter David was going to write more Miguel stories, I was so happy. I've read every issues of those new volumes. I've been on the edge of my seat several times while reading. I think there's been some great world building and some amazing stories. I can say I've loved most of those new adventures.

I do think Peter David missed some opportunity when he totally let go of Tiberius stone for instance, or when he decided that Liz would do nothing of importance.

I think that was some issue even old 2099 had where you have some interesting setup, but sorta get forgot about

I'm happy that Miguel's back on 2099(sorry, Spider-Man 2100 doesn't have swing) where I feel he's always been more interesting; the supporting cast alone makes it worth it (how much fun was it to have Tyler back for a couple issues?). But I have to say it felt rather unearned and blatant as a way to put the toys back in the proverbial box. Strange sorta just says "nope, you can't go back because it will mess with the timeline". Miguel was trying to mess up the timeline, no matter how benign his intentions were. Even then, this last run lost much of the focus on the "S-Man on present day" dynamics for the whole Fist arc, and its villains were not all that interesting apart from the future Sinister Six.

In any case, I'm grateful for having read not one, but two modern Spider-Man 2099 runs, and I sure hope there's a third revival down the road. Miggy sure deserves it.

I agree, it did happen during volume 1 too, some storylines never got an ending. That said, Miguel did get a true ending in manifest destiny, where he was basically made the center of the 2099 world. World of tomorrow and manifest destiny, while flawed, where interesting in their own right.

There is so many things they could do with the 2099 universe... I mean, x-men wasn't always the best thing, but it was a really fresh take on the mutants and Ghost Rider was brilliant.

I think they should have given 10 more issues to PD. 5 to end all present day storylines and 5 to let us see what the world of 2100 looks like.

What I really appreciated though is that Miguel was written as Miguel. At first, I was so happy to see him in Exiles, but he was just a peter parker clone in this one. I hated what they did to him in timestorm 2099. It was basically ultimate spider-man 2099 and they erased every interesting drama about the character. Him believing he was the son of a blue collar man, while actually being the son of Tyler was amazing. It gave a lot o depth to the character and to the family drama. Everything about Him, Conchat and Gabri was pure gold.

I whish they used that a little more in this volume.

We are definitely lucky PAD was allowed to use Miguel more, and it was a wild ride, but let's hope there is still a future for the line.

I wonder who outside of Peter David could write a good Spider-man 2099