Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    That's just adorable! Seems like it's Jon after all. Wonder what he'll go by? Superboy seems like a good option.

Where's that pic from btw?
    Its from the Rebirth teasers DC has been putting on twitter. They have a lineup with, I think, ten characters, each blacked out, and each teaser reveals a couple of them.

So far we've had Damien and Jon, Harley Quinn and Killer Croc (labeled "Redemption") and Jessica Cruz in a Green Lantern uniform labeled "Power".
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Well, we have a much more concrete image to build off of now:

Where did they release this? Also, it seems like if he's the new Superboy, then the current Superman and Superdad will be in each others lives at least transiently. It also kind of suggests that Superdad and Lois Mom are here to stay. Imagine trying to explain this kid's origin to new fans: "Well, he's the son of the Superman that existed before the current universe".

I think its the exact opposite actually. I think Superdad and his Lois are either being killed off or will disappear. Giving Jon a similar orphan origin. If both parents are dead, his role will be making it in this world alone, with the constant reminder of his parents in totally different people. If one or both parents are alive but just dispersed to places unknown, then his motivation can be finding them once more.

Someone in another thread actually summed up his origin to a new reader rather easily, if his parents are gone. "Jon Kent, the son of the Superman and Lois Lane of another Earth, now alone on this one."
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-24-2016 at 03:21 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Where did they release this? Also, it seems like if he's the new Superboy, then the current Superman and Superdad will be in each others lives at least transiently. It also kind of suggests that Superdad and Lois Mom are here to stay. Imagine trying to explain this kid's origin to new fans: "Well, he's the son of the Superman that existed before the current universe".
    Pretty simply, given that the pre-Flashpoint Superman fills the same basic role as Kal-L now: "There's the classic Superman with the trunks and everything, and the guy in the comics now with the armor. This is the son of the classic one who's ended up in the new universe."
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Pretty simply, given that the pre-Flashpoint Superman fills the same basic role as Kal-L now: "There's the classic Superman with the trunks and everything, and the guy in the comics now with the armor. This is the son of the classic one who's ended up in the new universe."
    two superman that are the same person on same earth doesn't look like new reader friendly.
    Merge the versions seems much easier to explain and then it gets back to having only 1 superman and 1 lois

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think its the exact opposite actually. I think Superdad and his Lois are either being killed off or will disappear. Giving Jon a similar orphan origin. If both parents are dead, his role will be making it in this world alone, with the constant reminder of his parents in totally different people. If one or both parents are alive but just dispersed to places unknown, then his motivation can be finding them once more.

Someone in another thread actually summed up his origin to a new reader rather easily, if his parents are gone. "Jon Kent, the son of the Superman and Lois Lane of another Earth, now alone on this one."
    I don't believe this, the strenght of johnathan is having a lovely family together and DC seems to bedistancing theirselves from grimdark story telling.

there isn't reasons to fridge prenew52 clark and lois, it would eb cheap and nosense kill them.

that summary is not interest if they are just dead and he is alone.
    Last edited by Tayswift; 03-24-2016 at 03:30 PM.

Jon is a brand new character, he doesn't have any strengths yet, he's barely developed. Its kinda hard to break any cardinal rules about a character who was created not even a year ago. If you'd rather his parents be around, fair enough, but let's not pretend there's already a solid template existing over what makes this kid tick. He's a work in progress, especially if he's meant to become the new Superboy. Anything's possible.

I'd be willing to bet nearly everything though that he will be alone on the main Earth. They don't have to kill off his parents but they're not going to be around via some sort of circumstances where they're separated from Jon. The major change to Lois's life will probably be taking this boy, who's kinda like her son only not, in. Lots of nuances there to play with. Lois is at least ten years younger than her counterpart, and probably nowhere near ready to be a guardian. This boy is her counterparts son with the counterpart of a man she's had romantic feelings for before but of whom she isn't in a relationship. That'll have to be weird. And on Jon's end he's sees this woman who looks like a younger version of his mom, but doesn't act exactly like her at the same time. It'd be a fun dynamic to play with, and at the same time really solve the problem of what to do with Lois now that she's not Superman's wife anymore (not that this was the only answer, but it works).
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-24-2016 at 03:45 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Jon's basically the new Powergirl with or without his parents, and that's pretty cool. Powergirl was easy enough to understand, so why won't this be too?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Powergirl was easy enough to understand

Here's what I'm thinking, based on some stuff this image has solidified for me:

Super League involves a mysterious new guy with the solar flare power, who seems to look at least somewhat like the Superman of Future's End (secretly Captain Marvel). His big final whatever sends the pre-Flashpoint Superman, Lois and Jon back to their own universe...but because Batman's involved, Robin gets sucked along in tow, causing some serious "Batman is just so unhappy, you guys" vibes to go along with his take in BvS, and also clearing the board for Duke to become Robin as he's been getting set up for awhile, a double-whammy to pull some Days Of Future Past style "even though it seems to be prevented, will a version of the Future's End timeline still come to pass?" shenanigans. Meanwhile, the new Earth 2 book focuses on the pre-Flashpoint DCU, with Superman and Lois returning to a world that's had almost a decade to adjust to their absence. Super Sons focuses on Superman and Batman's kids from a darker version of the DCU suddenly being in a classic version of it, one learning this better Earth is his birthright, one trying to get back home since this not only isn't his world, but he's the embodiment of everything "wrong" with his own that Superdad hated so much (of course, Damian exists on this Earth too, but who knows what's gone down? Heck, he might be old enough to be a new Batman at this point).

Or they'll go the "Merged Superman" route, in which case Jon is just Superman and Lois's kid, which would at least be fairly radical to introduce for the 'main' version of the character.
    Buh-bye

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

So let's assume that he does become an orphan. There are certainly arguments for going this route. 1) A connection to the original Superman origin and 2) No way any responsible parent is going to let their ten year old go out and fight bad guys. Especially Superman knowing what his kid would be up against. It would make sense if they were out of the picture. This raises a number of questions in and of itself. Namely, where will he live? With current Superman's parents dead, he can't just hand him off to them. And I doubt Batman is in a huge hurry to take on another super-powered ten year old with all the problems he had when Damien had powers.

He'll live with our Lois Lane. If pre-FP Lois and Clark are aware that something is going to happen to separate them from Jon before it actually occurs, in fact I bet they ask her if she'll look after him.

Although, Dispenser's theory of Damian actually being the one pulled into another world is intriguing on its own. I'd dislike this though because Snyder has specifically set up a somewhat lighter Batman. He does not need to lose his son for the second time before the next team gets to play with this. And replacing Damian, who's popular, for a black Robin just for the sake of having a black Robin would be another groan-worthy missing-the-mark attempt at diversity. It does no one any favors. If the Robin role was hurting, that'd be one thing. But even the most fruitful Damian hater couldn't say with a straight face that he's not popular as hell. Make the new kid another part of the expanded Bat family if necessary.

Also, Futures End-looking Superman should end up being the Time Trapper.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-24-2016 at 04:22 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Jon is a brand new character, he doesn't have any strengths yet, he's barely developed. Its kinda hard to break any cardinal rules about a character who was created not even a year ago. If you'd rather his parents be around, fair enough, but let's not pretend there's already a solid template existing over what makes this kid tick. He's a work in progress, especially if he's meant to become the new Superboy. Anything's possible.
    he barely developped, sure, but his family set up is a big help for the character. take out his family and he loses the basic premise and almost all the supporting characters. kill the parents is cheap and not a smart choice.

I'd be willing to bet nearly everything though that he will be alone on the main Earth. They don't have to kill off his parents but they're not going to be around via some sort of circumstances where they're separated from Jon. The major change to Lois's life will probably be taking this boy, who's kinda like her son only not, in. Lots of nuances there to play with. Lois is at least ten years younger than her counterpart, and probably nowhere near ready to be a guardian. This boy is her counterparts son with the counterpart of a man she's had romantic feelings for before but of whom she isn't in a relationship. That'll have to be weird. And on Jon's end he's sees this woman who looks like a younger version of his mom, but doesn't act exactly like her at the same time. It'd be a fun dynamic to play with, and at the same time really solve the problem of what to do with Lois now that she's not Superman's wife anymore (not that this was the only answer, but it works).
    so the role for lois lane now that she is not superman wife or girlfriend is being mother to Jon? wow really progressive for the character. so this is all DC can offer to lois lane? being a mom to a kid that isn't even her son? all meanwhile superman is probably chasing other women, new 52 superman didn't cared for superboy or kara that was his last blood parent. for sure he wouldn't care for Alternate son.

this setup could probably be fun, but at what cost? superman and lois could get closer. but just no. orphan a kid just because it can make some fun plots is wrong.

Duke is being criticized a lot for being throwed down peoples throats, and damian fans wouldn't like damian being replaced by snyder's pet character.

Lol easy.....ish

You take out his family and basically you complete his origin story. Little more.

And what's wrong with being a mother figure to Jon? How is taking care of someone in need not a respectful endeavor? Progressive schmegressive. Just more crap PC language to trash on something to be really proud of; in this case the idea of being a role model and a guardian to someone in need. Superman is simply not a good choice to be anyone's guardian. Look at what his run of the mill day is like. The Superman who had Jon was an older, more seasoned version who was probably ready to tackle the issues that come with being a father and a superhero. Our Superman? Dude's in his twenties, and is way more brash. He couldnt' do it, and frankly if pre-FP Lois and Clark had they're way I'm sure they wouldn't want him to do it. Lois on the other hand is a strong, stable woman. Not throwing herself into danger everyday but at the same time knows how to function in a tough situation (this isn't the Lois Lane who would throw herself into harms way for Superman's attention, she will investigate dangerous stuff but its not on the level of taking on Brainiac once a week), and has experience with super powered beings.

Duke is being criticized a lot for being throwed down peoples throats, and damian fans wouldn't like damian being replaced by snyder's pet character.
    On this we agree. Fans did not respond well to Harper (though I liked her), and fans will not respond well to someone replacing else Damian.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-24-2016 at 04:33 PM.

I vote for Fantastic Four style super family dynamics set on Rebirth Earth. Jon plays with Damian on weekends.

Tell Jurgens to stay the hell away from this book with his narcolepsy inducing writing style. His Jon sounds ridiculous.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-24-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Having it be Jon is really anti new reader. Creates quite a mess.

I'd say it's a totally new kid altogether, but eh DC will prolly go the overly convoluted route. I mean, hell, could be Chris right? Or a new new new Kon-El (man how many times will he become something else before they call it a day and either stop using him or go back to his simple origin??)?