Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I'd only like a family dynamic if its on another Earth. I don't want pre-FP Superman and Lois sticking around. I don't need them dead, that's just one possible outcome, but I need them gone off the planet. If they want the family dynamic, do it on another Earth; if they want Jon on the main Earth, which I personally find the most intriguing option (an oddity for me because of my usual distaste with alternate characters), then his parents need the boot.

You can get away with two Supergirls running around. You can get away with two Superboys. You can't get away with two Supermen and two Lois's. There needs to remain that one and only feel with those characters.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-24-2016 at 05:32 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'd only like a family dynamic if its on another Earth. I don't want pre-FP Superman and Lois sticking around. I don't need them dead, that's just one possible outcome, but I need them gone off the planet. If they want the family dynamic, do it on another Earth; if they want Jon on the main Earth, which I personally find the most intriguing option (an oddity for me because of my usual distaste with alternate characters), then his parents need the boot.

You can get away with two Supergirls running around. You can get away with two Superboys. You can't get away with two Supermen and two Lois's. There needs to remain that one and only feel with those characters.
    Yeah, it's kind of utterly bonkers to even consider having them in the DCU longterm. Just have them save their world and return to it and have a book about SUPERMAN and his family on that earth.

Hell, he could still visit our Superman from time to time and vice versa.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Having it be Jon is really anti new reader. Creates quite a mess.

I'd say it's a totally new kid altogether, but eh DC will prolly go the overly convoluted route. I mean, hell, could be Chris right? Or a new new new Kon-El (man how many times will he become something else before they call it a day and either stop using him or go back to his simple origin??)?
    chris kent isn't new reader friendly too. kon el origin got mess up on new 52 reboot, but it still can be saved if rebirth is continuity merger. but the kid seems to young to be kon el.

dc is complicating their continuity when things could go very simple

Most likely his parents will leave somehow. Leaves it open for Damian and Jon to hang. It'd be good for both of them. Robin has no friends his age he could relate to and Jon will be alone, emotionally. This sets up a decent origin story for Jon. It'd be even better if he doesn't let that get to him, letting him be light. Which, by his smile in the teaser, seems to be the case.

He could definitely have interesting dynamics with different characters. If our Lois takes care of him, that's one interesting relationship. How Superman views him would be interesting, as well as Wonder Woman. There's some natural awkwardness there that I'd actually find fun if Jon himself were the one to break the ice over. "Hey you may look like my dad, but I know you're not him. I grew up knowing you before I even knew my dad was Superman too. But I get you guys are different.".
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

And what's wrong with being a mother figure to Jon? How is taking care of someone in need not a respectful endeavor?
    Dude, dont you know that real feminists dont raise kids? They wear pantsuits and chase high-end careers and drink whiskey and smoke cigars.

Should a woman find that raising a child is the most fulfilling aspect of her life, she'll set the feminist movement back decades.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Hell I think she'd function awesome as essentially the third main character of Super Sons. Have it lighthearted where Batman has Damian spend some time with Lois as a positive female role model in his life, subsequently makes a friend in Jon and the two end up getting her into hijinks.

Oh, I think the idea of Lois raising Jon is interesting, and a new avenue to take her character. It'd be something we haven't really seen and it would force a brand new dynamic between Clark and Lois while simultaneously giving Lois a more important role in the mythos.

If this turns out to be the case I think it could be awfully fun. But you know there'll be people complaining and trying to turn Lois' selfless sacrifice (and make no mistake, raising kids is a sacrifice) and noble acceptance of the duty into some sort of anti-feminist commentary because she'd be putting a "family" ahead of her career.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

You take out his family and basically you complete his origin story. Little more.

And what's wrong with being a mother figure to Jon? How is taking care of someone in need not a respectful endeavor? Progressive schmegressive. Just more crap PC language to trash on something to be really proud of; in this case the idea of being a role model and a guardian to someone in need. Superman is simply not a good choice to be anyone's guardian. Look at what his run of the mill day is like. The Superman who had Jon was an older, more seasoned version who was probably ready to tackle the issues that come with being a father and a superhero. Our Superman? Dude's in his twenties, and is way more brash. He couldnt' do it, and frankly if pre-FP Lois and Clark had they're way I'm sure they wouldn't want him to do it. Lois on the other hand is a strong, stable woman. Not throwing herself into danger everyday but at the same time knows how to function in a tough situation (this isn't the Lois Lane who would throw herself into harms way for Superman's attention, she will investigate dangerous stuff but its not on the level of taking on Brainiac once a week), and has experience with super powered beings.
    when running out of ideas for female characters what happens often is: pregnancy, death or rape.
    So is normal people get reluctant when a character will be a mother or in this case become a "mother". jessica drew new status quo made some fans drop it or be very suspicious. I want more Lois adventures than her getting to raise akid that isn't even hers.
    I don't care how dangerous is superman life, but he should also take responsability together with Lois. His character really needs to grow up
    lois on new 52 doesn't has any experience with powered people

Sorry, you're not going to convince me that the shaming of motherhood is a positive thing. Its a very, very negative thing.

And Superman has no responsibility toward Jon should my theory turn out correct. Neither does Lois unless she takes it on of her own free will, because she wants to, which is what I'm suggesting she ultimately does. But neither of them has any inescapable responsibility toward him should his parents disappear like I hope they do.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-25-2016 at 03:26 PM.

BANNED

Sorry, you're not going to convince me that the shaming of motherhood is a positive thing. Its a very, very negative thing.

And Superman has no responsibility toward Jon should my theory turn out correct. Neither does Lois unless she takes it on of her own free will, because she wants to, which is what I'm suggesting she ultimately does. But neither of them has any inescapable responsibility toward him should his parents disappear like I hope they do.
    I'm not shaming motherhood, just saying it is a cheap development for Lois.

I doubt that Lois would take care of any kid from nowhere

Sure you are, you crapped on the idea of motherhood for a female character because its not "progressive". That suggests its something to be moved past, which is utterly ridiculous. Its an extreme rarity that high-tier females in comics are portrayed as a guardian anyway, so its not like its an overused concept.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-25-2016 at 04:10 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Having it be Jon is really anti new reader. Creates quite a mess.

I'd say it's a totally new kid altogether, but eh DC will prolly go the overly convoluted route. I mean, hell, could be Chris right? Or a new new new Kon-El (man how many times will he become something else before they call it a day and either stop using him or go back to his simple origin??)?
    Simple is always better,now which origin is better thats a different and harder question to ask.

BANNED

Sure you are, you crapped on the idea of motherhood for a female character because its not "progressive". That suggests its something to be moved past, which is utterly ridiculous. Its an extreme rarity that high-tier females in comics are portrayed as a guardian anyway, so its not like its an overused concept.
    when writers and editors doesn't even try to do something with the character and then choose the character to be a mother because they don't know what to do with her, it isn't progressive.
    I didn't even knew Lois is a high-tier character for the way DC has been treating her

Progressiveness doesn't even apply to that. In a situation you illustrated above, if hypothetically they don't try anything with Lois going forward, if hypothetically they did just throw something poorly thought out at her just to get it out of the way, that has nothing to do with progressiveness. That's just called laziness.

That said I don't think its a lazy idea, I think its a potentially very fun and intriguing idea. But hey its my idea so of course I think that. If others don't, that's cool. I don't take issue with simply ideas I have not being liked by others. Only thing I take issue with is the idea that there's something wrong inherently with portraying Lois in a motherly role.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-25-2016 at 05:18 PM.