Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Deadpool" Officially Highest-Grossing X-Men Film, R-Rated Comic Book Film Ever

"Deadpool" has confirmed his domination of the domestic box office, with worldwide supremacy creeping ever closer.

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    "Deadpool" has confirmed his domination of the domestic box office, with worldwide supremacy creeping ever closer.

Full article here.
    Maybe because it was more fun and didn't take itself so seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Maybe because it was more fun and didn't take itself so seriously?
    It's also by far the most faithful X-men adaptation we've seen yet in the movies. That certainly doesn't hurt.

Astonishing Member

The film was good but not that good...what it did really really well was the brilliant marketing campaign. It did a fantastic job of marketing itself to mainstream audiences that might not otherwise watch a traditional superhero film.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    The film was good but not that good...what it did really really well was the brilliant marketing campaign. It did a fantastic job of marketing itself to mainstream audiences that might not otherwise watch a traditional superhero film.
    But it wasn't a traditional superhero film. It's still shocking to me that this movie did so well but maybe besides X2 it really was the best X-men movie yet. It didn't hurt they finally got Colossus halfway right.

It's a really funny/fun movie. Just like Guardians was. I wish people would stop saying its because its faithful to the comics, the other top 10 comic movies weren't faithful to the comics and they got there. Let Deadpool shine on its own! good/fun entertainment!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Grey View Post
    It's a really funny/fun movie. Just like Guardians was. I wish people would stop saying its because its faithful to the comics, the other top 10 comic movies weren't faithful to the comics and they got there. Let Deadpool shine on its own! good/fun entertainment!
    That's not really true those movies did stay true to their original comic formulas especially the marvel movies it was more Jack Kirby /Steve Ditko/Stan Lee updated than anything else.

BANNED

I kind of worry that Deadpool might have killed the superhero movie because of how everyone now is demanding more R rated superhero movies. Deadpool works and works best as R because it was basically a live action cartoon with over the top cartoon violence and language that necessitated an R. That plus a stellar marketing campaign are why it worked.

An R rated Wolverine movie is still going to be Wolverine, aka an action movie, only a bit more violent and more language but those won't make or break the movie. Its going to be the story and direction, not the language and a smidge more blood and f bombs. And really if you watch the last Wolverine movie you can see you don't need an R rating to show hyper violent action scenes. No one is going to go see Wolverine 3 because of "Now with extra f bombs and blood on the claws."

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    I kind of worry that Deadpool might have killed the superhero movie because of how everyone now is demanding more R rated superhero movies. Deadpool works and works best as R because it was basically a live action cartoon with over the top cartoon violence and language that necessitated an R. That plus a stellar marketing campaign are why it worked.

An R rated Wolverine movie is still going to be Wolverine, aka an action movie, only a bit more violent and more language but those won't make or break the movie. Its going to be the story and direction, not the language and a smidge more blood and f bombs. And really if you watch the last Wolverine movie you can see you don't need an R rating to show hyper violent action scenes. No one is going to go see Wolverine 3 because of "Now with extra f bombs and blood on the claws."
    I'm more excited because it will get the rating that beat suits the character, as is literally every person I have talked to about it. People are asking for R movies when it's appropriate, mostly. Wolverine is a natural pick. X-Force also. Pretty much any of the Valiant movies too. And I would love to see the Punisher get a hard R Netflix show, as opposed to the as-far-as-possible M one they said they would stick to. Hell, I would be happy if Jessica Jones was R in the second season.

Being R was one of the ways that Deadpool was true to the character. The violence, language and themes are all shaped by that. And for many superheroes, that works. For many, it doesn't. But I don't think we'll have to worry about inappropriately R rated properties. The studios will still be too skittish to blanket the market with them.

BANNED

Deadpool didn't succeed because it was R rated though. It succeeded because it was more of a superhero spoof than a superhero movie and its funny. Definitely much of the humor was very adult oriented but much of it was not. I actually think Deadpool would have succeeded at PG13 with tamed down jokes. Might even have made more money because all the teens going to see it would have actually bought tickets for it rather than some other movie at the complex. I loved the adult jokes as much as anyone who saw them, I just don't think they were a deal breaker to the movies success.
    Last edited by JediMindTrick; 02-21-2016 at 07:37 PM.

BANNED

A R rating is especially irrelevant to Wolverine 3 because after 5 X-men movies and two Wolverine movies, viewers already know right now if they are likely to see it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post

Eh I thought the action scenes/violence in the last 2 Wolverine movies were very lack luster. Especially the last one with horrible direction, I mean shaky cam on top of a train who's dumb idea was that? That scene could've been spectacular but the action was lost. Deadpool had way more memorable action and the direction was superb. Story is good but ppl forget the action is a big part of the story and if it's lacking the movie suffers.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by healed1337 View Post
    It's also by far the most faithful X-men adaptation we've seen yet in the movies. That certainly doesn't hurt.
    I wonder how big the X-Men franchise could have been if Fox and Singer trusted the source material a lot more.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Oh man, the pressure is on X-Men Apocalypse to deliver the goods now. Singer has said that Apocalypse will be the biggest and longest X-Men film yet. Apocalypse is set to open 3 weeks after Civil War and the same days as Alice in Wonderland 2. It's so exciting.

Deadpool was ok, not great. I've never understood what others see in the character so maybe that works against me in understanding what everyone else is so excited about. To me it was Ryan Reynolds playing Ryan Reynolds.