Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Default Don't cancel Grayson

I hope that this doesn't happen but I see the Nightwing Rebirth and it disappoints me greatly that Grayson might be cancelled. Once again DC crushes one of my favorite book first it was Planetary then it was Justice Society of America and now, it Grayson. Dick was great as a intelligence operative it gave the character incredible freedom and open the readers to parts of the DCU that many haven't seen so much potential gone down the drain.
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red winter View Post
    I hope that this doesn't happen but I see the Nightwing Rebirth and it disappoints me greatly that Grayson might be cancelled. Once again DC crushes one of my favorite book first it was Planetary then it was Justice Society of America and now, it Grayson. Dick was great as a intelligence operative it gave the character incredible freedom and open the readers to parts of the DCU that many haven't seen so much potential gone down the drain.
    Agreed. We can just hope now that they've realized this and it helps 'Nightwing' stay out of redundancy.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Agreed. We can just hope now that they've realized this and it helps 'Nightwing' stay out of redundancy.
    All I want is for Nightwing to basically be Grayson just with a title change. This was not a concept that needed to be "fixed" so I hope they wised up and realized that. They do have a nasty habit of "fixing" what isn't broken though so I'm skeptical.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Damn, is this really a possibility? Right now Grayson is the the one DC title on my pull list, and part of what brought me on was giving Dick something to do aside from being Batman lite. If they're going to ship him off to Gotham again I think I might be done, however if they keep the global spy feel, just with him in costume I could live with it.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, again, everything that made Grayson great can be brought over and applied to Nightwing, with an easier and clearer branding and a slightly more flexible (within the DCU, at least) status quo (one that allows for more seamless integration into the Titans, for instance).

The one thing that can't be brought is the friction generated from Grayson being a double agent within spyral but that was, by its very nature, a finite status quo, and we're already starting to see it degrade. Spyral as a semi-antagonist, though, should function quite nicely.

Spectacular Member

I too find the cancelation of Grayson and the announcement of Nightwing: Rebirth troubling. This feels somewhat similar to how his time as DickBats was criminaly cut short and he ended up as Nightwing again. I certainly don't envy the creative team of Nightwing: Rebirth as they have a lot to live up to because the title it's replacing was one of the best comics DC had put out and arguably the best thing to happen to the character of Dick Grayson since the New Teen Titans.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by red winter View Post
    Agreed, Grayson gave Dick his own pocket of the DC Universe that was building around him. He actually had intresting supporting characters for example Helena, Tiger, Midnighter and new ones on the way like Grifter and King Faraday. He had cool tech and was depicted as being as mentally competent as he is physical. Their has never been a more impressive showing for the character than the time he has been a Spyral Agent. In Nightwing he faced sub par villians and matched wits against the Prankster. In Grayson he is having to go up against whole organizations and shaking hands with Maxwell Lord. I can't for the life of me understand what some are clamoring for him to go back to. I would argue that his showing as Batman wasn't even as strong because at the end Bruce saved the day. I can only hope they are as ambitious about advancing Dick in Nightwing: Rebirth as they have been in Grayson. If history has taught us anything though it's that as Nightwing he was treated as not important and got Batman's hand me downs. Tom King for the most part has been true to his word so hopefully the fact that Nightwing is one of the characters that was chosen to be double shipped is a good sign that he will get much better treatment.
    Last edited by OWL45; 02-21-2016 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Yeah, again, everything that made Grayson great can be brought over and applied to Nightwing, with an easier and clearer branding and a slightly more flexible (within the DCU, at least) status quo (one that allows for more seamless integration into the Titans, for instance).

The one thing that can't be brought is the friction generated from Grayson being a double agent within spyral but that was, by its very nature, a finite status quo, and we're already starting to see it degrade. Spyral as a semi-antagonist, though, should function quite nicely.
    Agreed with everything you said. If Dick gets the same treatment he did in Grayson, but this time he's in the Nightwing costume, I won't mind that at all.

He's already losing the artist and then the writers who made the book what it was, so what's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    He's already losing the artist and then the writers who made the book what it was, so what's the difference?
    Well, Seeley, King, and Janin have said that they'll be back to Dick stories in some form. We just don't know if that means something like King taking over Batman and including Dick as a supporting character, or something like Janin drawing Titans, or even Seeley on Suicide Squad which starts with a Nightwing crossover, etc.

Amazing Member

DC had no choice really. Nightwing, even when mediocre, sells better than Grayson.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I don't think they are the only people who can write or draw the character. I think whoever works on the character has to look at how progressive they were and not pigeonhole the character as Batman's sidekick forever eternal. I actually thought Max Landis in the new American Alien wrote an awesome young Dick Grayson. I'm not opposed to him being Nightwing but they have to give him the same treatment in Rebirth that he has gotten in Grayson in my opinion to justify going back to the identity or it will be a regression.

Incredible Member

Grayson did not sell bad honestly. Especially in an over saturated market.

Quote Originally Posted by HLOTS View Post
    DC had no choice really. Nightwing, even when mediocre, sells better than Grayson.
    Well the comic sales were almost the same. Nightwing's sales were sometimes higher thanks to the Batman events. So yeah Dick can sell almost as many comics as Nightwing under his own name.

I'm a huge fan of Grayson, but I'm not against him becoming Nightwing again depending on the situation. If the new Nightwing is Grayson with a costume, bring it on. If the new Nightwing is more global super heroics I'll certainly give it a chance. If the new Nightwing is just Dick back in gotham or Bludhaven, or some other Gotham hellscape suburb I think I'll drop.

Now this is just imo, but I love Grayson on a big stage. Leader of the Teen Titans/Titans, part of Justice League, doing his spy thing. Great. But the street level thing, I'm not interested in. Dick sadly has no street level rogues gallery, no street level supporting cast. I just don't feel like signing up for another rebuild.