Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    If they did they'd probably have more readers.

Rebirth seems like DC finally realized that the Nu52 was mostly a failure.

Personally, I won't miss Grayson one iota but I have the entire Dixon run of 'Wing and beyond.
    In that case Titan Hunt would be selling a lot more.

One of the things I've always liked about Dick Grayson is that he's one of the few comic characters who is actually allowed to evolve and change in a permanent way. He went from sidekick, to superhero, to team leader to international spy. So I'd hate to see the Nightwing Rebirth be a step backward. I have no idea what it will actually turn out to be. I like Grayson enough as a character to give it a shot. The Spyral story did have a shelf life too it. It would have to be wrapped up at some point. I would have liked to see Grayson become a spymaster, heading up his own organization or something like that. Then again, maybe Nightwing will be his code name like Matron is the code name for the head of Spyral. So I'll wait and see. The one thing I really don't want is a regression to another Batman-esque, Gotham dwelling costume. We have too many of those already.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But was there actaully a storyline about Roys time as Spy? Didn't this mostly happened of panel?
    It was either the reason behind him making a guest appearance in various books, or the explanation for why it was only a guest appearance and he didn't stick around full time. Sadly, we didn't really get to see him do much as a spy and government agent, though I'd have loved it if we had.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    Though Titans Hunt is '60s/'70s nostalgia, which might be what's confusing the people who came to it expecting to see the Wolfman/Perez additions to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    The Spyral story did have a shelf life too it. It would have to be wrapped up at some point. I would have liked to see Grayson become a spymaster, heading up his own organization or something like that. Then again, maybe Nightwing will be his code name like Matron is the code name for the head of Spyral. So I'll wait and see. The one thing I really don't want is a regression to another Batman-esque, Gotham dwelling costume. We have too many of those already.
    I think it makes sense for Gotham to always be "home", and the place that he returns to from time to time because his ties and his family are there. But I'd like to see him stay a globetrotter, and for Gotham to be a base of operations rather than a city he sticks to like glue.

And Nightwing as a codename, working his way up to spymaster and mixing it up with all the agencies at the level Helena has now reached, would be my ideal scenario for his next phase of evolution. I'd like it if he could be both spy and superhero, picking a role as the occasion demanded. I wouldn't want to see his time with Spyral dropped and given no impact on his future activities, any more than I liked it when his time as a cop was abruptly ended, almost never to be referenced again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    People didn't want the Titans past negated in the first place. They might not necessarily
    be running back to the pseudo reboot.

"Fool me once" and all that.

Extraordinary Member

Wasn't Wonder Woman also a Sp y for some time when she lost her powers?

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    No one was making this argument when Roy did the spy thing before.
    Thats because Roy is terrible, and no one really cares about what he does...

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    So I'm no one?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HLOTS View Post
    I think DC’s priorities have shifted. They’re focusing right now on their bigger sellers. If they still have plans for the spy genre, Grayson is not part of them anymore. Dick works for the Parliament of Owls now, and apparently new Helena B. is gone (and will be replaced by the original Helena B.), which probably means Spiral is gone too.
    I know. Doesn't mean they still couldn't have stuck w/ the re-invention of the character. Stuff like that doesn't happen overnight. If they had any sense of long term vision, Grayson as a spy/agent has/had more potential than Nightwing ever will. But...like you said. DC cares more about a short-term 5% comic sales increase for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But sofar Grayson delivered not one story line that is remotely as big as an Bond, Bourne, or Mission Impossible movie. (And most classic Batman vs. Ras Al Ghul Stories feel more like classic Bond movies than anything in Grayson.)
    agreed. But that was just the writers' choice, I'm sure. Again, doesn't mean the potential isn't there. You can easily make a Grayson TV show in the same manner as Agents of SHIELD. Down the road, you can starting thinking of an epic movie or stealth based video game, etc.

Nightwing has been Nightwing for over 30 years and will never surpass any previous mainstream popularity he's already had (unless he gets turned into a Marvel movie, of course). A re-invented Grayson, however, has the potential to surpass any mainstream appeal Nightwing ever had. I believe this is undeniable (again, unless Marvel puts their magic hands on him).
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

BANNED

I think it makes sense for Gotham to always be "home", and the place that he returns to from time to time because his ties and his family are there. But I'd like to see him stay a globetrotter, and for Gotham to be a base of operations rather than a city he sticks to like glue.

And Nightwing as a codename, working his way up to spymaster and mixing it up with all the agencies at the level Helena has now reached, would be my ideal scenario for his next phase of evolution. I'd like it if he could be both spy and superhero, picking a role as the occasion demanded. I wouldn't want to see his time with Spyral dropped and given no impact on his future activities, any more than I liked it when his time as a cop was abruptly ended, almost never to be referenced again.[/QUOTE]

Dick shud gradyate frum collige n git an edycayshun. No drop-out loozer.

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    One of the things I've always liked about Dick Grayson is that he's one of the few comic characters who is actually allowed to evolve and change in a permanent way. He went from sidekick, to superhero, to team leader to international spy. So I'd hate to see the Nightwing Rebirth be a step backward. I have no idea what it will actually turn out to be. I like Grayson enough as a character to give it a shot. The Spyral story did have a shelf life too it. It would have to be wrapped up at some point. I would have liked to see Grayson become a spymaster, heading up his own organization or something like that. Then again, maybe Nightwing will be his code name like Matron is the code name for the head of Spyral. So I'll wait and see. The one thing I really don't want is a regression to another Batman-esque, Gotham dwelling costume. We have too many of those already.
    Or it might be time for him to go on to be something else. He doesn't really have to go back to being Nightwing - except, of course, for the intellectual property/merchandising issues.

When I think back to the fact that DC Corporate actually let Dick Grayson, iconically known by readers over the decades as Robin, give it up and take on a new identity, I am retroactively impressed.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Or it might be time for him to go on to be something else. He doesn't really have to go back to being Nightwing - except, of course, for the intellectual property/merchandising issues.

When I think back to the fact that DC Corporate actually let Dick Grayson, iconically known by readers over the decades as Robin, give it up and take on a new identity, I am retroactively impressed.
    Just how big of a property do you thing nightwing is??yes the transition from robin to nightwing was big and risky but dick Grayson survived it and he can survive another transition if done with sincerity bcoz as much as I don't like it nightwing is not as big as robin in terms of worth

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    That's not true at all,look at the Young Justice series! Roy was great in that series both as Arsenal & Red Arrow heck look at Arrow, Roy Harper is a great character that is equal to Bucky Barnes & Dick Grayson no matter what the 52 did to him by teaming him up with Jason Todd
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Well, we are kind of still keeping the “Dick Grayson, Secret Agent” thing — only now, he's an agent of the Court of Owls rather than of Spyral, and he's using “Nightwing” as his codename instead of “Agent 37”. He's a secret agent in superhero clothing in much the same way that Deathstroke is a professional assassin in supervillain clothing.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

With the parliament of owls .. You'll start Nightwing in a similar way of Grayson.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    I would rather Jason Todd take over as Nightwing!
    With or without tentacles?