Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
    Fantastic Member

Is this the right place to ask:

In which issue of the pre-NewDC Batman/Superman title did two kids do a "what if Superman and Batman had a fight" play fight thing, with B & S listening in with bemusement ? I keep knowing which one and forgetting right when I want to recommend it to someone. I have the issue (just went to stand within 1m of it in fact) but it is buried deep in one of 24 unlabelled (and sealed for moving) comic boxes. So any help with the issue number would be most appreciated.

If so then [see above], if not then [don't look up]
    Last edited by zwixxx; 07-26-2015 at 11:16 AM.

All-New Member Basil Expedition's Avatar

Hi folks!

I’m new to the forums and you seem like the people to ask. I’ve been a collector of Batman trades for just over 20 years now, so I think I own most of the essentials but I’m also sure there are many that I’m missing!

So my question for you is: Are there any other essential or obscure collections you would suggest I track down?

So far I have these trades:
    • Batman in the Forties, Seventies & Eighties
    • Batman: Year One, Shaman, Gothic, Venom & Four of a Kind, The Man Who Laughs
    • Batman: Haunted Knight, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory & Batman Chronicles: The Gauntlet
    • Showcase Presents: Batman Vol. 5, The Brave and the Bold - Batman Team-Ups Vol. 2, Batman and the Outsiders
    • Batman: Challenge of the Man-Bat & Vow from the Grave
    • Batman: Strange Apparitions
    • Batman: Second Chances & Ten Nights of the Beast, The Many Deaths of the Batman, Blind Justice
    • Batman: The Killing Joke & A Death in the Family/A Lonely Place of Dying [New Edition]
    • Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth
    • Batman: Birth of the Demon
    • Batman: Penguin Triumphant [One Shot] & Batman: The Last Arkham
    • Batman: Sword of Azrael, Knightfall Vols. 1-3 [New Editions] & Prodigal
    • Batman: Contagion & Legacy
    • Batman: Bane & Mr. Freeze [One Shots] & The Joker: Devil's Advocate
    • Batman: Cataclysm & No Man's Land Vols. 1-4 [New Editions] & Harley Quinn [One shot]
    • Batman: New Gotham Vols. 1-2 – Evolution & Officer Down
    • Batman: Bruce Wayne - Murderer? & Fugitive [New Editions]
    • Batman: Hush
    • Batman: Detective, Death and the City, Private Casebook & Heart of Hush
    • Batman and Son, The Black Glove & The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul
    • Joker
    • Batman: Streets of Gotham Vols. 1-3
    • Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn
    • Batman: The Black Mirror & Gates of Gotham
    • New 52 Batman Vols. 1-6
    • Batman: Tales of the Demon, Scarecrow Tales, Batman vs. Two-Face, Batman: Featuring Two-Face and The Riddler & Anarky
    • Batman: The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told 1-2, The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told [Original Versions]
    • Most of the Tales of the Batman & Legends of the Dark Knight collections & Batman by Doug Moench & Kelley Jones Vol. 1
    • Batman Noir: Eduardo Risso
    • Batman: Earth One Vol. 1
    • Elseworlds: The Dark Knight Returns, Gotham by Gaslight, Tales of the Multiverse: Batman - Vampire
    • The Daredevil, Spider-Man, Captain America and Punisher Team Ups, Batman Versus Predator Vols. 1-3 & Batman/Aliens
    • The Batman Adventures Vols. 1-2 [New Editions], Mad Love and Other Stories, The Lost Years & Gotham Adventures
    • Batman & Superman Adventures: World's Finest [One Shot]
    • A couple of Batman Beyond trades

Any advice or suggestions you can give would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Basil Expedition View Post
    Hi folks!

I’m new to the forums and you seem like the people to ask. I’ve been a collector of Batman trades for just over 20 years now, so I think I own most of the essentials but I’m also sure there are many that I’m missing!

So my question for you is: Are there any other essential or obscure collections you would suggest I track down?

So far I have these trades:
    • Batman in the Forties, Seventies & Eighties
    • Batman: Year One, Shaman, Gothic, Venom & Four of a Kind, The Man Who Laughs
    • Batman: Haunted Knight, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory & Batman Chronicles: The Gauntlet
    • Showcase Presents: Batman Vol. 5, The Brave and the Bold - Batman Team-Ups Vol. 2, Batman and the Outsiders
    • Batman: Challenge of the Man-Bat & Vow from the Grave
    • Batman: Strange Apparitions
    • Batman: Second Chances & Ten Nights of the Beast, The Many Deaths of the Batman, Blind Justice
    • Batman: The Killing Joke & A Death in the Family/A Lonely Place of Dying [New Edition]
    • Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth
    • Batman: Birth of the Demon
    • Batman: Penguin Triumphant [One Shot] & Batman: The Last Arkham
    • Batman: Sword of Azrael, Knightfall Vols. 1-3 [New Editions] & Prodigal
    • Batman: Contagion & Legacy
    • Batman: Bane & Mr. Freeze [One Shots] & The Joker: Devil's Advocate
    • Batman: Cataclysm & No Man's Land Vols. 1-4 [New Editions] & Harley Quinn [One shot]
    • Batman: New Gotham Vols. 1-2 – Evolution & Officer Down
    • Batman: Bruce Wayne - Murderer? & Fugitive [New Editions]
    • Batman: Hush
    • Batman: Detective, Death and the City, Private Casebook & Heart of Hush
    • Batman and Son, The Black Glove & The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul
    • Joker
    • Batman: Streets of Gotham Vols. 1-3
    • Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn
    • Batman: The Black Mirror & Gates of Gotham
    • New 52 Batman Vols. 1-6
    • Batman: Tales of the Demon, Scarecrow Tales, Batman vs. Two-Face, Batman: Featuring Two-Face and The Riddler & Anarky
    • Batman: The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told 1-2, The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told [Original Versions]
    • Most of the Tales of the Batman & Legends of the Dark Knight collections & Batman by Doug Moench & Kelley Jones Vol. 1
    • Batman Noir: Eduardo Risso
    • Batman: Earth One Vol. 1
    • Elseworlds: The Dark Knight Returns, Gotham by Gaslight, Tales of the Multiverse: Batman - Vampire
    • The Daredevil, Spider-Man, Captain America and Punisher Team Ups, Batman Versus Predator Vols. 1-3 & Batman/Aliens
    • The Batman Adventures Vols. 1-2 [New Editions], Mad Love and Other Stories, The Lost Years & Gotham Adventures
    • Batman & Superman Adventures: World's Finest [One Shot]
    • A couple of Batman Beyond trades

Any advice or suggestions you can give would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!
    Lucky you, still some major gems to hunt down...

Norm Breyfogle Vol.1
    Dark Knight, Dark City
    Complete Grant Morrison run (see first page)
    Batwoman: Elegy
    Grayson Vol.1 (finish the Morrison run first)
    Ego & Other Tails
    All Star and DKSA
    Batman Eternal
    Prey
    Joker

All-New Member Basil Expedition's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Lucky you, still some major gems to hunt down...

Norm Breyfogle Vol.1
    Dark Knight, Dark City
    Complete Grant Morrison run (see first page)
    Batwoman: Elegy
    Grayson Vol.1 (finish the Morrison run first)
    Ego & Other Tails
    All Star and DKSA
    Batman Eternal
    Prey
    Joker
    Thank you Nepenthes, that list helps a lot!

Agreed on the Breyfogle trade; I've got that pre-ordered and I'm really looking forward to reading it. I love his work but haven't read a lot of what's included in this one.

Dark Knight, Dark City I read as a kid and remember being pretty freaked out by it, so I definitely ought to read that one again!

Morrison is someone I've gone back and forth on. I liked RIP when I read it in issues and I loved how he brought forgotten characters and concepts back (someone else remembers The Hood from Knightquest!) but I didn't love some of his crazier concepts. Maybe I should give his work another try though.

Thanks again!

No worries! And yeah the Morrison run can feel very disjointed if you've only read it in parts - revisiting the whole thing in trade from beginning to end can make all the difference, especially considering its one massive arc over eight years that loops back on itself towards the end

Quote Originally Posted by zwixxx View Post
    Is this the right place to ask:

In which issue of the pre-NewDC Batman/Superman title did two kids do a "what if Superman and Batman had a fight" play fight thing, with B & S listening in with bemusement ? I keep knowing which one and forgetting right when I want to recommend it to someone. I have the issue (just went to stand within 1m of it in fact) but it is buried deep in one of 24 unlabelled (and sealed for moving) comic boxes. So any help with the issue number would be most appreciated.

If so then [see above], if not then [don't look up]
    Superman/Batman #78

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Superman/Batman #78
    just seen this so :woot: and a thanx for that.

Amazing Member

Can any New 52 fans give me their opinion on the following series:
    Batman & Robin
    The Dark Knight
    Batman/Superman

Thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mdotluci View Post
    Can any New 52 fans give me their opinion on the following series:
    Batman & Robin
    The Dark Knight
    Batman/Superman

Thanks
    Mike
    Batman & Robin - There are a few here who don't like Tomasi, but I found it to be a really strong book for the most part. The first couple of arcs are the strongest, and then it gets caught up in other Batbook's events and is kind of stuck without a premise for a while. But it's a good read.

Batman: The Dark Knight - Don't bother.

Batman/Superman - I like Greg Pak's writing a lot, but I didn't really care for this book, from what I've read. It comes across as a novelty, and the dual voices gimmick wears thin early on. I've heard that it gets better, though.
    Last edited by joybeans; 08-05-2015 at 09:15 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Batman & Robin - There are a few here who don't like Tomasi, but I found it to be a really strong book for the most part. The first couple of arcs are the strongest, and then it gets caught up in bother Batbook's events and is kind of stuck without a premise for a while. But it's a good read.

Batman: The Dark Knight - Don't bother.

Batman/Superman - I like Greg Pak's writing a lot, but I didn't really care for this book, from what I've read. It comes across as a novelty, and the dual voices gimmick wears thin early on. I've heard that it gets better, though.
    Thank you.

Thread is now closed; please find an up-to-date version here