Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
    CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I would avoid any of these above suggestions if you're only interested in "current continuity", though. They're good stories, but they don't necessarily apply to what's happening to the characters since September of 2011.

I don't agree with this at all. Read Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, TLH, Snyder's run, Morrison's run, etc. Just read GOOD Batman stories. Don't worry about the continuity, you'll figure it out and start being able to differentiate between the two timelines.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 05-09-2015 at 01:05 PM.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

I wouldn't recommend Morrison's run for a new reader.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    I wouldn't recommend Morrison's run for a new reader.
    I wasn't making a suggesting I was more making a point to not aviod stories because of what continuity they are in. My suggestion would be to read:

Year One
    Dark Lnight Returns

From there the limitations are endless.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 05-09-2015 at 10:42 AM.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

I only started reading Batman around 6 months ago and I wasn't sure where to start. I decided to read as many of the recommended pre new 52 books first and when I felt like I'd read enough of them, I started the new 52. I started with Year One, The Killing Joke and The Dark Night Returns, then filled in the gaps in between them all. Money is also something to take into consideration as it can get quite expensive with so many Batman books out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    I wasn't making a suggesting I was more making a point to not aviod stories because of what continuity they are in. My suggestion would be to read:

Year One
    Dark Lnight Returns

From there the limitations are endless.
    And you're being a bit oblivious to what others are pointing out.

There are some people, especially new readers, who are currently ONLY interested in current continuity. They may want to get more comfortable with that BEFORE worrying about reading "classic" stories, no matter how good those may be. You're suggestion to basically ignore whether it's current continuity or not is pretty useless in a case like that. Let the individual people decide what is important to THEM first. And clarifying whether books are current continuity or not will hopefully help them to decide what works best in their own case.

And you're being a bit oblivious to what others are pointing out.

There are some people, especially new readers, who are currently ONLY interested in current continuity. They may want to get more comfortable with that BEFORE worrying about reading "classic" stories, no matter how good those may be. You're suggestion to basically ignore whether it's current continuity or not is pretty useless in a case like that. Let the individual people decide what is important to THEM first. And clarifying whether books are current continuity or not will hopefully help them to decide what works best in their own case.
    Thank you so much for the help! I ordered all the New 52 Solo Batman Volumes. I'll read those then move on to the detective volumes and so on. After those I'll read Divergence and then move on to whatever comes after that. Thanks again

Question What are Batman, Nightwing, Batgirl, Robin, Joker, and any other batman characters main storylines?

I'm starting to become a big batman fan, and i would like to know what are the major events that have happened since the series started in detective comics 27. It would be helpful to not just include the major story events, but also the issues i can find them, if you know of any compilation books (i dont know the proper term, but its like a graphic novel but its just a compilation of lots of issues, e.g. Batman: The New 52 vol. 1 the court of owls)
    If you could include a list of major issues or compilation books in chronological order that would be great

Quote Originally Posted by mastershin100 View Post
    I'm starting to become a big batman fan, and i would like to know what are the major events that have happened since the series started in detective comics 27.
    You do realize that you're asking for information from about 75 years of comic book stories, don't you?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    Yes, I'd use that. And use this for introduction background:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman#...cter_biography
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...#Modern_Batman
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

You do realize that you're asking for information from about 75 years of comic book stories, don't you?
    Yes, the OP's question was too much of a tall order.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

yes i do realize that this is a massive question, i just wanted to know and hoped that there might be SOMEBODY out there that took the time to answer this with a long list lol

gonzalez.martin90

Smile New into the Comics

Hi guys!
    I never read a comic before (yes sounds noob) but i really like Batman character and all the story and i would like to start reading some comic of him. I would love to hear recommendations about how to start reading comics or which one. I google it and there are like several stories about batman and i'm confused.
    If you were new into the comic world, which comic of Batman would you read?
    And if you have links to comics it would be nice too, or i can find everything in DC page?

Thanks!

Amazing Member

Hey Gonzalez, welcome to the forum!

You might want to check out this thread: http://community.comicbookresources....-Recent-Events.

I started reading with the New 52 and it is a good entry point to the new canon.

In the above thread are recommendations like Killing Joke and Long Halloween that are excellent Batman stories but has little to do with the current Batman continuity.

My personal recommendation would be to start with New 52 Batman and New 52 Detective Comics (it is mostly just Batman stories that are separated from the main storyline) and then when you get a hang of the different characters you should read graphic novels and comics with other timelines.

Quote Originally Posted by mastershin100 View Post
    yes i do realize that this is a massive question, i just wanted to know and hoped that there might be SOMEBODY out there that took the time to answer this with a long list lol
    It's stupid to try and cram 75 years worth of reading of every Batman associated character in the first place let alone how much of a chore it would become as a big event doesn't mean it's a good read. You should try reading the "must read" titles first like Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns etc then the great runs like O'Neil-Adams, Englehart-Rogers etc and after your familiar with Bat-universe pick out the writers, artists and characters that have tickled your fancy and follow up their history/other works. If you're just worried about not being familiar with some of the character's history then just read up on Wiki.
    Last edited by jump; 05-12-2015 at 03:58 AM.