Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Scott Snyder's New 52 Batman is a good place to start, but I highly recommend some of the pre-Flashpoint classics. The Long Halloween and Dark Victory are two excellent detective stories that inspired The Dark Knight film, and Batman: Year One is considered the definitive origin story. Also check out Snyder's Batman: The Black Mirror, which is considered by many to be his best Batman story (even if it features a different Batman).

For just one off classics:
    Batman: Year One
    The Dark Knight Returns
    The Killing Joke
    The Long Halloween

For getting caught up with the current stuff:
    Batman Vol 1: The Court of Owls

Besides the obvious classics such as The Killing Joke, The Dark Knight Returns, Year One and Hush (which you should read first and are all great fun while not relying (too heavily) on continuity), I'd go with Zero Year as it introduces the new52 Bats really well. After that you can pick up the rest of the Batman new52 series (Court/Night of Owls, Death of the Family and the new released volume 6 which collects some short stories between the major arcs). If you want to start before the New52 I'd recommend starting with Year One, followed by The Man Who Laughs, The Long Halloween and Dark Victory, these stories follow up after eachother and show the beginnings of Batman and some of his rogue gallery.

If you like the dark, psychotic Batman I would recommend Arkham Asylum, a very twisted and messed up (but still, great!) book, outside of continuity.

Stay away from All Star Batman and Robin and the Dark Knight Strikes again and you will be fine.

Welcome to the magnificent world of Batman!
    Last edited by Batmil; 05-12-2015 at 06:14 AM.
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

I am very confused, I posted this earlier but it was in the wrong thread I think, but I've been reading Batman New 52 and Nightwing is in it, so what is this "Grayson" series? How can he be in spyral and in Gotham as nightwing fighting alongside batman at the side time? I know theres probably something simple I'm missing, but can somebody tell me what it is?

Quote Originally Posted by mastershin100 View Post
    I am very confused, I posted this earlier but it was in the wrong thread I think, but I've been reading Batman New 52 and Nightwing is in it, so what is this "Grayson" series? How can he be in spyral and in Gotham as nightwing fighting alongside batman at the side time? I know theres probably something simple I'm missing, but can somebody tell me what it is?
    He's not in both at the same time, something happens in Forever Evil so he has to stop being Nightwing and goes to work for Spyral.

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    He's not in both at the same time, something happens in Forever Evil so he has to stop being Nightwing and goes to work for Spyral.
    ohh ok so the New 52 Grayson is set after New 52 Batman?

Quote Originally Posted by mastershin100 View Post
    ohh ok so the New 52 Grayson is set after New 52 Batman?
    There's a release order in the first page of this thread that roughly breaks down the sequence of events. Forever Evil is a DCU event story that would occur around the time of Forever Evil:Arkham War, which was Batman sidestory to the main event (is there next to Zero Year). In Forever Evil Nightwing was unmasked and then seemingly murdered on live TV, so now the whole world knows he was Dick Grayson and believes he's now dead.

All-New Member

Fantastic thread guys. Tons of useful information and recommendations. Thank you.

I'm also pretty new to comics and I recently read "The Man Who laughs" TPB and found myself surprisingly enjoying the "Made Of Wood" story that's included in that book more than the feature story.
    In addition to that I've also been reading "Gotham Central" and enjoying that book immensely.
    With that in mind, can you guys please recommend me some great TPB's or books similar to "Made Of Wood" and "Gotham Central" which are more detective mysteries in nature than superheroes battling supervillains type stories?

All-New Member

Exclamation I am new to Batman Comics.

I am new to batman comics, with with batman comic should I start first?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Best advice I can give you is: Go to a store (online or physical) and look at comics, covers, descriptions, preview pages, whatever until something grabs your attention. Go with what looks interesting to you.

And, in general, everyone likes Year One. If you can't just pick something, read that.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

You can check the sticky thread that's posted on this forum. That can help for new readers.

All-New Member

Default New 52 Bat Family

Hey everyone, I've heard some good things about the new 52 bat family runs so far, could you tell me out of this list which ones are worth picking up and carrying on with?

Batman
    The Dark Knight
    Detective Comics
    Batman and Robin
    Night wing
    Batgirl
    Catwoman
    Bat woman
    Harley Quinn
    Suicide Squad (not directly batman related)

Also do they need to be read in any certain order? Heard that you need to read the Forever Evil run to really understand what's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by zachlee View Post
    Hey everyone, I've heard some good things about the new 52 bat family runs so far, could you tell me out of this list which ones are worth picking up and carrying on with?
    I'll go over each series:

Batman - Snyder's whole run is worth reading. This is the flagship title.
    Dark Knight - Don't bother.
    Detective Comics - It picks up at #30, when Manapul and Buccellato take over.
    Batman and Robin - The whole run is probably worth reading, though I think it does lose some steam after #23 due to status quo changes from other books.
    Nightwing - Higgins's run #1-29 is generally pretty solid, though it hampered by Batfamily events too often. After Forever Evil, it gets relaunched as...
    Grayson - One of DC's top books. You can skip ahead to this if you want.
    Batgirl - There are two camps. Some love Simone's run #1-35, which was darker and grimmer. Others like Fletcher and Stewart's run #35-ongoing, which takes a younger, more lighthearted tone. Both runs have their ups and downs.
    Catwoman - Start with Valentine's run at #35. The stuff before is best left forgotten.
    Batwoman - The Williams/Blackman run #1-24 is excellent. Unfortunately, the creative team left due to editorial interference, and never got a chance to finish their story.
    Harley Quinn - Not really for me, but some like it.

Also know that the first three volumes of Nightwing, Batgirl, and Batman and Robin run parallel to the first three volumes of Batman, and will sometimes tie into events in Snyder's run.

Also do they need to be read in any certain order? Heard that you need to read the Forever Evil run to really understand what's going on?
    I wouldn't bother with Forever Evil unless you want to read the event itself. While it does affect Nightwing, the status quo change is handled better in Grayson.

BANNED

So guys, I do want to start reading Bat books ( i don't bother if it's in continuity or not), but I am not really interested in this new Robot Batman... Is the Arkham Asylum book my only option if I want to read about the "real" Batman? Also, I heard Grayson is pretty good. What do you say? Any more recommendations?
    Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Banner View Post
    So guys, I do want to start reading Bat books ( i don't bother if it's in continuity or not), but I am not really interested in this new Robot Batman... Is the Arkham Asylum book my only option if I want to read about the "real" Batman? Also, I heard Grayson is pretty good. What do you say? Any more recommendations?
    Thanks!!
    I'm assuming you're talking about current series. Yeah, there's Arkham Knight and the Batman '66 series (if you want something campy). But there are a lot of previous Bat books in trades if you haven't read them yet, from older classics like Year One and Long Halloween, to more modern stuff like Black Mirror and Court of Owls. If you haven't, give those a try.

And yeah, Grayson is fantastic. I'd also recommend the Manapul/Buccellato Detective Comics run, along with the current Catwoman. And Gotham Academy or Batgirl, for something younger and more lighthearted.