Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 265
  1. #46
    Fantastic Member osakafanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    333

    Question New 52: Batman, TDK, Detective comics, Court of Owls, Batman & Robin, etc

    Are they happening in d same universe?

    Is there any continuity amongst these various series?

    Pls enlighten me...

  2. #47
    Senior Member PyroSikTh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    943

    Default

    Yes. Everything with "New 52" on the cover is in the same universe. There is also continuity between them thanks to constant references and crossovers with each other (although this has been dialled down quite a bit).

  3. #48
    Fantastic Member osakafanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    Yes. Everything with "New 52" on the cover is in the same universe. There is also continuity between them thanks to constant references and crossovers with each other (although this has been dialled down quite a bit).
    Thanks man then Batman alone already sells a lot of comics OMG

  4. #49
    Junior Member Ultrathrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    2

    Default I need some Batman/Robin advice.

    I've only ever read Marvel before, but now I want to branch out. I've been trying to get into DC for a while, and I've read a bit, but I'm a bit confused at the best place to start, especially with Robin. Any suggestions?

  5. #50
    Mighty Member nepenthes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ivy's Lair
    Posts
    1,450

    Default

    What Batman comics have you read already?

    The Long Halloween and its sequel Dark Victory are popular classics and fairly accessible to new readers - with Dark Victory introducing Dick Grayson (though personally I much prefer the origin in Frank Miller's gloriously unhinged All Star Batman & Robin). Another popular and more lighthearted trade is Batgirl/Robin: Year One.

    Damian is the most recent and hugely popular Robin - introduced in Batman & Son, he has an long arc thru tons of generally excellent trades that will keep you busy for a while.

    Grayson is one of the best monthly series out atm and actually feels close to a Marvel style book; while the current Robin Rises arc kicked off only last month in Robin Rises: Omega - these are both excellent and very easy to jump in on.

    More details here.

  6. #51
    Junior Member Ultrathrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I read The Bat and the Beast, and a little bit of Court of Owls.
    That information is incredible! I couldn't have asked for anything better. Thank you so much!

  7. #52
    Metahumane MykeHavoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    The Batman and Robin series has been fairly excellent since its inception, focused on the 4th Robin and split between Bruce Wayne as Batman as well as a fully grown Dick Grayson, the original Robin. The first 3 volumes comprise the middle section of Grant Morrison's epic, spanning multiple titles over several years. Volume 4 was a collection of 3 short 3-issue stories from other writers. The New 52 reboot took place at this point, and the Tomasi/Gleason team have been on it ever since. Vol 1-3 of this run feature the dynamic duo. Some stuff happens at this point and the title switched to a Batman and Guest title, but is supposed to return to being B&R in December, if I'm not mistaken.

    In addition to some of the earlier material mentioned previously in the thread, a big B&R classic would be Death in the Family. The newest trade release of this also features the Lonely Place of Dying story. These detail the transition from the 2nd to the 3rd Robin. Threads of this later pop up in Hush and Under the Red Hood. Also Dark Knight Returns features a unique Batman and Robin, but a classic none the less.

  8. #53
    Mighty Member nepenthes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ivy's Lair
    Posts
    1,450

    Default

    A few updates to the OP

    - new Gotham TV show reading list
    - new links and an Expanded Reading section linking from the Morrison run
    - new October books and jump-ons to current titles
    - whole bunch of new trades to timeline


    Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    In addition to some of the earlier material mentioned previously in the thread, a big B&R classic would be Death in the Family. The newest trade release of this also features the Lonely Place of Dying story. These detail the transition from the 2nd to the 3rd Robin. Threads of this later pop up in Hush and Under the Red Hood. Also Dark Knight Returns features a unique Batman and Robin, but a classic none the less.
    Speaking of Jason Todd trades, DC very quietly announced a new collection the other week that should excite any JT or 80's era fan...however appears to have slipped under the radar for now: Batman: The New Adventures will collect the Max Allan Collins run i.e. the Post Crisis Jason intro and early adventures including a couple of pretty cool issues with Nightwing and Two-Face. A collection many of us have been hanging out for a while now, however as always, DC somehow find a way to screw up even the most obvious trade formatting by failing to include the Diplomats Son and that insane issue where Batman throws a car battery at a dude in a junkyard. Small but highly frustrating omissions - especially when we have less interesting/noteworthy stuff taking up space like a lone Millennium issue ( 1 of 3 parts), a Dumpster Killer issue (again 1 of 3 parts) and a fill in guest writer with a throwaway samurai villain.

    Contents are:
    Batman 402 - 403
    Break for Year One
    Batman 408 - 416
    Annual 11

  9. #54
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,607

    Default

    I was reading through this Catwoman thread, and there were mentions of some books I'd like to know more about, namely the 1995 Year One Annuals, Moench's set of Year Two issues, When In Rome, and Catwoman Defiant prestige format book whatever that is. Any information on all this would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

  10. #55
    Mighty Member nepenthes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ivy's Lair
    Posts
    1,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I was reading through this Catwoman thread, and there were mentions of some books I'd like to know more about, namely the 1995 Year One Annuals, Moench's set of Year Two issues, When In Rome, and Catwoman Defiant prestige format book whatever that is. Any information on all this would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
    Of the above only When in Rome is collected in trade - if you've read Long Halloween you can imagine what it's like, only with Selina and Riddler and a bunch of mobsters and that's it. The Defiant one-shot was never reprinted and too be honest my only memory is that it was very basic and clumsy.

    A pretty great overview of the Selina origin stories, including the above is over here.

  11. #56
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Of the above only When in Rome is collected in trade - if you've read Long Halloween you can imagine what it's like, only with Selina and Riddler and a bunch of mobsters and that's it. The Defiant one-shot was never reprinted and too be honest my only memory is that it was very basic and clumsy.

    A pretty great overview of the Selina origin stories, including the above is over here.
    Shame so much isn't collected in trade or is in print, but thank you for the link! I really like Long Halloween, so I'll add When in Rome to my list to collect. Thank you.

  12. #57
    Boston Sports Fan Detox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,142

    Default Batman & Robin TPB??

    Is volume 4 ever going to come out? Is it only out in HC?

  13. #58
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,821

    Default

    With the Batman-starring books, everything comes out first in hardcover. When they announce the next hardcover, they'll also announce a trade paperback of the current hardcover.

    It looks like the Vol. 4 tpb will be out towards the end of November.

  14. #59
    Mighty Member nepenthes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ivy's Lair
    Posts
    1,450

  15. #60
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,607

    Default

    I'm thinking about adding Batman: Snow to my buy list, and was wondering if anyone knew more about it or other possible Mr. Freeze origin stories. Mr. Freeze was one of my favorite characters in the animated series, though I know the comics version isn't necessarily like that. Just want a good origin for my comic collection, wouldn't mind a complete list of such stories if there's more than a few. Thanks in advance!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •