Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    This is the ad that I remember:

As far as I know, it was just that ad and not part of an actual storyline.
    thanks for clearing that up

Fantastic Member

Many readers simply would not accept the idea of not using the full array of magical and super technological means to save a Bat Family member dying of cancer,
    by that logic they could simply magic all there problems away and there would never be a story with batman or the batfamily every again

Quote Originally Posted by hero talk View Post
    Many readers simply would not accept the idea of not using the full array of magical and super technological means to save a Bat Family member dying of cancer,
    by that logic they could simply magic all there problems away and there would never be a story with batman or the batfamily every again
    Well, they more or less do "magic" their problems away, in that there are no permanent problems in the comic world, save those that are absolutely foundational for the universe and certain characters (Bruce's parents dying, the explosion of Krypton, etc.). We are talking about a place where death itself is essentially irrelevant, after all. It sometimes takes a while, but that "while" is getting shorter and shorter all the time as the feedback loops between fans and markets and companies grow more efficient.

So, if one of the Bat Family were to contract terminal cancer and the Bat Family didn't pull out all the magical and super scientific stops to save them the controversy would be immense. If they did so, people who have had to grapple with this in their own lives would feel their experience belittled and mocked. If the Bat Family member died and was resurrected (which would be, of course, absolutely inevitable) then the bitterness and feeling of mockery on the part of families of cancer victims would be especially acute.

As I say, if you want a preview of this just look at the controversy over Babs, first her crippling, then her healing. Compress the time scale to allow for the much greater efficiency and speed with which these cycles move, and ratchet the controversy up be a factor of about ten to allow for the much greater sensitivity to such things now present in both the creative industry and the reading public.

Angels fear to tread some places because they are very wise creatures.

BANNED

I'd be okay with Tim getting ovarian cancer. That's pretty much always fatal.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    Well, they more or less do "magic" their problems away, in that there are no permanent problems in the comic world, save those that are absolutely foundational for the universe and certain characters (Bruce's parents dying, the explosion of Krypton, etc.). We are talking about a place where death itself is essentially irrelevant, after all. It sometimes takes a while, but that "while" is getting shorter and shorter all the time as the feedback loops between fans and markets and companies grow more efficient.

So, if one of the Bat Family were to contract terminal cancer and the Bat Family didn't pull out all the magical and super scientific stops to save them the controversy would be immense. If they did so, people who have had to grapple with this in their own lives would feel their experience belittled and mocked. If the Bat Family member died and was resurrected (which would be, of course, absolutely inevitable) then the bitterness and feeling of mockery on the part of families of cancer victims would be especially acute.

As I say, if you want a preview of this just look at the controversy over Babs, first her crippling, then her healing. Compress the time scale to allow for the much greater efficiency and speed with which these cycles move, and ratchet the controversy up be a factor of about ten to allow for the much greater sensitivity to such things now present in both the creative industry and the reading public.
    but just because they have cancer does not mean they have to die and I liked it when babs could walk again I was happy for her because I now what its like not being able to walk although I can now walk with a Cain the only thing I wish they'd done with the story is show more of the therapy she had to go through because that stuff hurts and I'm happy she does not have to do it anymore I will always have trouble because I was born with cp but I'm happy she could magic her troubles away and I am one of those people that lost someone to cancer I just hope they do a cancer story because I think it would make a good story even if they magic it all away in the end
    Last edited by hero talk; 02-24-2016 at 06:20 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post

maybe your right maybe the story is controversial but I hope they write it anyway thank you for sharing what you think and I hope you continued to do so
    Last edited by hero talk; 02-25-2016 at 04:12 AM.

I vote for two: Jason and Damian.

Or one or both can just be erased by rebirth. Either way is fine.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HellHere View Post
    Breast cancer in women has the best survival rates of all cancers. It has the most funding and the most visibility. Male breast cancer, not so much. Any other cancer would be interesting but breast cancer in women is kind of a go-to for stories (lbr, for obvious reasons. People love to see the lives of breasts being saved.)
    Valid point, but it's also extremely less common in men. 40,000 women die annually from it vs. 440 men.

BANNED

Should DC do a story that kills off a fan-favourite character in such a way that ensures that character will be gone forever?

Hell no. They kill off way too many characters as it is.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Should DC do a story that kills off a fan-favourite character in such a way that ensures that character will be gone forever?

Hell no. They kill off way too many characters as it is.
    just because they have cancer does not mean they will die they could be a survivor it could be a good story and the batfamily could be in race for the cure
    I was in a freak accident there were freaks everywhere Dan vs

BANNED

just because they have cancer does not mean they will die they could be a survivor it could be a good story and the batfamily could be in race for the cure
    That would be extremely selfish of them, only getting involved in finding a cure for cancer once it suddenly affects themselves.

And do you just have them fail? Then you have a dead Robin (or whatever).
    Do they succeed? What then? Cancer isn't something serious anymore in the DCU?

And didn't Marvel already do this like 35 years ago? What's the point of doing it again with other characters?
    And why the Batman books? That's a really bad fit for them, thematically.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That would be extremely selfish of them, only getting involved in finding a cure for cancer once it suddenly affects themselves.

And do you just have them fail? Then you have a dead Robin (or whatever).
    Do they succeed? What then? Cancer isn't something serious anymore in the DCU?

And didn't Marvel already do this like 35 years ago? What's the point of doing it again with other characters?
    And why the Batman books? That's a really bad fit for them, thematically.
    people are selfish sometimes but it doesn't make them bad people it just means they never really thought about it before they do have a lot on their plate as for them succeeding there are real cancer survivors in the real world and they don't make cancer any less serious
    I dont really read marvel I'm more of a dc person and I like the batfamily their my favorite
    Last edited by hero talk; 02-29-2016 at 03:18 AM.

Fantastic Member

when I said they could be in race for the cure I meant that they could be in a race to raise money

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    Nah, doesn`t make sense. Unless you use Gordon as he was in the 90`s, but they made him younger and less chain smoking since the reboot. Outside of Gordon is like just making Cancer out on thin air.
    it could be something like leukemia you don't need to be a smoker to get it even kids can get it one day your fine then just like that your not

BANNED

when I said they could be in race for the cure I meant that they could be in a race to raise money
    Ehm... Batman is Bruce Wayne.

Really, this story is very unsuited for this particular franchise.