View Poll Results: Should Lemire out Storm as bi/pan/gay for Yukio?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100% YES!!!!

16 10.06%
  • Yes, but not for a while (let Iceman have the LGBT spotlight for now)

5 3.14%
  • Yes, only if the result is bisexual/pansexual

30 18.87%
  • Yes, only if the result is "above labels" (BUT confirming she slept with Yukio)

13 8.18%
  • Yes, only if the result is "gay for Yukio" (i.e. otherwise str8)

3 1.89%
  • I want this dangling plot point explored, even IF the conclusion is she's str8

4 2.52%
  • Nah, I like the mystery...

22 13.84%
  • NO!!!! She's str8. Period.

60 37.74%
  • I reeeeeeally want this explored, just not under Lemire's pen

6 3.77%
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Its been long implied that Storm is bisexual so it wouldn't be that big a deal. Unlike Iceman which came out of nowhere (if a history of failed relationships makes you gay than every male in the MU except Reed Richards is gay, if having a gay man have a crush on you makes you gay then apparently gay is a disease you can catch).
    Forge has a failed relationship with Storm right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    The X books have been on a slow descent for me ever since they brought on Grant Morrison and has continued on a down ward descent in subsequent years. I hardly recognize the SH team that I was introduced to and inspired by in the mid 90's. The thing with Bobby Drake is pretty much the last straw for me, and I'm done as a fan. As four of my top 10 SH are X-Men, I'll pick up a book if there's a substantive story line featuring them. Otherwise from now on I'll get my X-Men fix through my old Claremont, Nicieza and Lobdell trades.
    I feel your pain. At this point and time, the only glimmer of hope can come from "X-Men '92". If that book fails to deliver, then ALL hope for the comic department of the X-Men franchise is lost. In the rest of the current X-books, the characters are virtually unrecognizable to who they used to be. I can't even fathom being a kid today and having to see these dull, modern "X-Men" and actually wanting to give them the slightest bit of attention.

As far as the question at hand, the X-Men I knew and loved are long dead in the main books. Now, they are nothing but empty, disgraced and violated shells anyways, so I wouldnt care if they made Storm sexually attracted to and married to a tree. Just please leave her (and the rest of the X-Men) alone in "'92".
    Last edited by FlawedCoil82; 02-22-2016 at 10:46 PM.
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

I'd be fine with a bisexual Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoSteve View Post
    Looks like more people prefer a straight Storm according to the poll.
    Not the way I see it. Options 1, 2, 3, 4, and 9 are all people who want a non-straight Storm, which together make up 23 votes. Options 5 and 8 are the only ones that state a preference for a straight Storm, and those make up 18 total votes. People with no preference (options 6 and 7) make up 6 total votes.

It doesn't really matter to me TBH.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

no woman is completely straight anyway. It's science...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-straight.html
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Sometimes things are special because they don't last. -- Zhi, Tales from the Loop

BANNED

Claremont's intentions were pretty clear, It'd be nice to have a modern writer recognize that side of her character in a more concrete way now that gay characters aren't banned in the MU like they were in that era.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Its been long implied that Storm is bisexual so it wouldn't be that big a deal. Unlike Iceman which came out of nowhere (if a history of failed relationships makes you gay than every male in the MU except Reed Richards is gay, if having a gay man have a crush on you makes you gay then apparently gay is a disease you can catch).
    I think the thing people need to understand about this is that it wasn't a Column A/Column B thing. The X writers didn't just sit down and arbitrarily say oh look, failed relationships with women; hes gay. This is pretty much the spearhead for the people against this right now and I definitely understand the reaction, you're within your right to feel like it was off or forced. He was written as a straight man dating women, with no insight to closeting. That doesn't mean it doesn't make sense, just because it was a shot in the dark for you doesn't mean it was for everyone. When I first read it i just thought well, tell me something i dont know. I only have 2 friends who read comics now, one thought he was out already, (she barely reads x titles) the other just said it was about time.

Many people have suspected Iceman was gay. i know i have since the late 90s. Theres plenty of old threads on many old forums out there discussing it. There was one here before the forums reset. There are writers who have felt that way about him and were aware this was a whisper in the fandom. Maybe you didn't see it, that's fine, but some people did. They look at the fact that hes grown increasingly unhappy and bitter. The fact that hes so blatantly lonely and either self destructs a relationship or they lose interest in him because they've never been the priority in his life. The guy has really wanted to be loved like, desperately, for a long time. Bendis looked at all this stuff and said, what IF this was a reason? It's not that because these things happened he MUST be gay, but rather that these things happen in real life to closeted people and it was something they could do with Bobby as a character. Relationship troubles can happen to any human being, straight and gay, but two people having the same troubles may have different reasons behind them. Because... we're all different. What solves one mans problem won't solve the problem for every man ever, especially when it comes to sexuality, which is uncontrollable and can be very difficult to understand.

I think Storm has always had a sense of self acceptance and self confidence that Bobby has never had. She lives her life how she wants to, takes the heat for her choices and doesn't give a damn about how that makes her look. She seems to openly love people for who they are inside, i'm not sure id even tie a label to her. I think liberation is one of the most consistent qualities writers have always kept for her, just like Bobby's has been fear. Fear of pushing himself, being alone, being rejected, changing or having things change around him. His feelings about being gay really tied in to that theme.

Incredible Member

Sure.

I would much prefer it they made one of the big characters LGBT though, like Wolverine, Captain America, or Batman.

It doesn't necessarily need attention in the story either. Just instead of one day Wolverine coming home with a woman, he comes home with a guy. What's the big deal?
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 02-23-2016 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I'd be fine with a bisexual Storm.
    Same. I thought it was already common knowledge that she was bi?

I can't wait for the day when comic books don't have to make some big event about a characters sexuality (and society for that matter). You're straight/gay/bi? Great, good for you. Can we get to the part where you fight the bad guys and save the world now?

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

The thing is outing Storm would have actually made sense given her history with Yukio--she's a strong woman who likes strong women. Bobby, on the other hand, has been forced, awkward and silly. Which, unfortunately, has been pretty much his entire character post-Schism.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

BANNED

Like with Weyland Smithers in the Simpsons, Storm being ALSO into fellow members of her gender , like with ALL of Claremont's Glamazons , is already a foregone conclusion that it shocks nobody at all. Remember when she kissed that bf-gf couple at the Hellfire Club party last year just right after Logan died? Did anybody bother to read that OGN Claremont did with the legendarily infamous Manara?

And I can't believe 616-Iceman is Full Gay because AoA Iceman (who is basically the same as him as AoA and 616 should be identical until the point of divergence when Legion accidentally killed Professor X) had an orgy with four female Asian prostitues in Madripoor when he fled to Earth-616 just before he was executed by AoA Nightcrawler (unless they were actually ladyboys hehe)...
    Last edited by Jdsm24; 02-23-2016 at 08:50 AM.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I'm going to go with no.Iceman was not handled well at all. We are talking about a woman that was married to the Black Panther a few years ago. I think Mystique would be a more better choice given her sexual history.

BANNED

Black Panther could turn any woman gay.

Amazing Member

I don't want a gay Storm, if nothing else, because these "outings" seem to come off as nothing more than publicity stunts. With that said, a bisexual Storm makes far more sense than a gay Iceman. Though I do like her relationship with Forge, it makes sense that her sexuality is more "free" and that her love is carried in whatever direction the wind takes it. I'm still salty over the whole Iceman outing. It made no sense, and was born out of dubious details about the character's bad luck with women. It seemed like nothing more than Marvel pandering to the fans who for years, have repeatedly jabbed at his sexuality.