View Poll Results: Should Lemire out Storm as bi/pan/gay for Yukio?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100% YES!!!!

16 10.06%
  • Yes, but not for a while (let Iceman have the LGBT spotlight for now)

5 3.14%
  • Yes, only if the result is bisexual/pansexual

30 18.87%
  • Yes, only if the result is "above labels" (BUT confirming she slept with Yukio)

13 8.18%
  • Yes, only if the result is "gay for Yukio" (i.e. otherwise str8)

3 1.89%
  • I want this dangling plot point explored, even IF the conclusion is she's str8

4 2.52%
  • Nah, I like the mystery...

22 13.84%
  • NO!!!! She's str8. Period.

60 37.74%
  • I reeeeeeally want this explored, just not under Lemire's pen

6 3.77%
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Ah, come on, sure, the book's sales don't match previous flagships, but they aren't that bad given the current state of the market.

Just so we're clear, I don't even believe for one second Storm has ever been exclusively hetero. Still, to randomly out her while still pretending the Iceman outing was/is a huge deal would come off as a hilariously cheap publicity stunt.
    Last edited by FluffyCyclopsRLZ; 02-23-2016 at 09:33 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Because if they really had something special, Pak wouldn't have ignored it. And it wasn't just Pak who ignored it.
    This isn't proof of anything. Just because people don't explore their emotional and sexual feelings every time they are together doesn't mean those feelings aren't there. And Pak was under no obligation to do a big LGBT story, but it doesn't mean the previous relationship wasn't there. Pak's story was highly interesting as it dealt with Storm feeling heart broken over Yukio making such poor choices. I don't think Storm is in love with Yukio anymore, but that's because Storm's a pompous witch.

I think it'd be nice to just have a positive representation of a bisexual person in Marvel in general. Storm would be great and for all the reasons others have posted, it would not seem like it was coming out of left field except to those who reject all subtext. Other than that we have.. Daken and Mystique are grey characters at best in their morality and Daken often uses his sexuality for shock value. Deadpool's is played for laughs more often than not. In the series where Prodigy came out, he was a predatory, manipulative jerk throughout it - behavior that seems to be overlooked by many of his fans, but it was something that bothered me quite a bit. Not that he didn't show jerk behavior in Academy X/New X-Men either - manhandling his girlfriend and then beating up Hellion when he tried to intervene. I don't dislike Prodigy, for the record - I liked the fact that he never wanted to be a X-Man, he had more realistic priorities and was often the most grounded of the group - I just think he's a huge jerk.

I can't much think of any other bi characters that don't really come off as positive role models except for maybe Julie Power. I'm sure I'm missing a lot of them but I can't think of any others atm.

Poor Storm Fans too much in house fighting amongst its fandom.

Black African Americans
    Female Audi
    Minorities
    LGBT
    Male Audi

Can't decide on her race, sexuality, powers, personality, Relationship, religion. We are easily polarized.

Ultimate Member

I've long thought Storm to be bi, but I don't think that she would just jump in bed with any woman that she met either, or she could just see it as friends with benefits kind of thing more than being bi...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BlkGldBlu View Post
    Poor Storm Fans too much in house fighting amongst its fandom.

Black African Americans
    Female Audi
    Minorities
    LGBT
    Male Audi

Can't decide on her race, sexuality, powers, personality, Relationship, religion. We are easily polarized.
    Hey! Wait a minute... Who is this "we" you speak of?!?
    Last edited by ZNOP; 02-23-2016 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I've long thought Storm to be bi, but I don't think that she would just jump in bed with any woman that she met either, or she could just see it as friends with benefits kind of thing more than being bi...
    Strom is and always has been Straight. I too have grown fond to believe she is Bi or mostly likely Pan or just lez for yukio. But as a gay man i don't want nor am i pushing for her to be. She didn't need to be to draw me in.
    Im quite fine with her being heterosexual. She has plenty of other titles and labels to work with and plenty that have barely been touched and need to see the light (Windrider for example).
    #HeteroPride.

Heck im still miffed over Icemen. Could've gotten behind him Being Bi. late in life homosexual always threw me off.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Hey! Wait a minute... Who is this "we" you speak of?!?
    "We" as in Storm fandoms. Heck im 4 o 5 of my own list.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    I'm going to go with no.Iceman was not handled well at all. We are talking about a woman that was married to the Black Panther a few years ago. I think Mystique would be a more better choice given her sexual history.
    Mystique is already established as being Bi.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tarqon View Post
    I think the thing people need to understand about this is that it wasn't a Column A/Column B thing. The X writers didn't just sit down and arbitrarily say oh look, failed relationships with women; hes gay. This is pretty much the spearhead for the people against this right now and I definitely understand the reaction, you're within your right to feel like it was off or forced. He was written as a straight man dating women, with no insight to closeting. That doesn't mean it doesn't make sense, just because it was a shot in the dark for you doesn't mean it was for everyone. When I first read it i just thought well, tell me something i dont know. I only have 2 friends who read comics now, one thought he was out already, (she barely reads x titles) the other just said it was about time.

Many people have suspected Iceman was gay. i know i have since the late 90s. Theres plenty of old threads on many old forums out there discussing it. There was one here before the forums reset. There are writers who have felt that way about him and were aware this was a whisper in the fandom. Maybe you didn't see it, that's fine, but some people did. They look at the fact that hes grown increasingly unhappy and bitter. The fact that hes so blatantly lonely and either self destructs a relationship or they lose interest in him because they've never been the priority in his life. The guy has really wanted to be loved like, desperately, for a long time. Bendis looked at all this stuff and said, what IF this was a reason? It's not that because these things happened he MUST be gay, but rather that these things happen in real life to closeted people and it was something they could do with Bobby as a character. Relationship troubles can happen to any human being, straight and gay, but two people having the same troubles may have different reasons behind them. Because... we're all different. What solves one mans problem won't solve the problem for every man ever, especially when it comes to sexuality, which is uncontrollable and can be very difficult to understand.

I think Storm has always had a sense of self acceptance and self confidence that Bobby has never had. She lives her life how she wants to, takes the heat for her choices and doesn't give a damn about how that makes her look. She seems to openly love people for who they are inside, i'm not sure id even tie a label to her. I think liberation is one of the most consistent qualities writers have always kept for her, just like Bobby's has been fear. Fear of pushing himself, being alone, being rejected, changing or having things change around him. His feelings about being gay really tied in to that theme.
    I think your giving far too much credit to the writers about making Bobby gay when the reality is that there is a push in both big two companies to diversify so they are doing arbitrary race swaps (I'm not talking legacy stuff like Sam Wilson because thats not really a race swap, rather using DC as an example I mean Wally West where it was a literal race swap) and orientation changes. They wanted to make one of the original four X-males gay, past history be damned. Scott is out because they aren't that brave plus he and Emma are a current power couple in the MU. Warren is currently a mental vegetable. Beast would have made more sense because at least ten years ago there was a possible hint when he declared he was gay (during the Morrison days I believe) but that was quickly ignored and not followed up on. But with Beast I'm not sure how fans would react if they had the furry beasty one be the gay one. That left Bobby by default, evidence be damned.

For the record I've got nothing against gay characters, I thought that Rictor's storyline as he came to terms with his orientation in Peter David's X-Factor was absolutely amazing and Rictor / Shatterstar make a great couple. I can't see Bobbie as anything but a poorly written diversity push because Rictor / Shatterstar had actual hints way back in the 90's but Bobbie just was a typical Marvel character.

Pretty much everything you said about self destructing relationships could be applied perfectly to Peter Parker. Or how about Scott Summers who dumped his wife Maddie for his ex, Jean. Then blew up that relationship by fantasizing about times with Phoenix Jean. And then had a psychic affair with Psylocke before cheating on Jean with Emma.

To create drama for characters, writers will make relationships self destruct which is why outside of Reed Richards every Marvel character, male or female, has a trail of broken relationships in their wake often of their own doing.
    Last edited by JediMindTrick; 02-23-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Ultimate Member

Well all of the hints for Rictor/Shatterstar under Nicieza's pen were fans misreading what he was writing, later writers changed that though...most of Scott and Psylocke was a kiss here or there and she using her powers to give him ideas and such but they never went as far as he and Emma did...Beasts comment about being gay in Morrison's run was admitted to have been the character trying to make a joke that people took to far...for diversity's sake Humphries had Psylocke and Cluster have sex but thankfully that has since been dropped completely. Bobby's history was misunderstandings and such from time to time that some people demanded more of...as for Storm she seems to only grow close to women that she knows well...as for the marriage to Black Panther, that was more the writer at the time really pushing it, so it's all relative, not to mention her long standing love for Forge...

Hmmm. Not really a fan of labels. People just are who they are, IMO. But, I will say that Ororo has struck me as the type of person who was either "above it all" like the early days of CC/Cockrum, or being the type of person who is naturally interested in the opposite sex, but wasn't above rare instances of being attracted to another female (Yukio).

I don't think Bobby's completely gay either. He's loved his women, but he just has to work out this repressed part of himself to figure out where to go. The Kinsey scale can be an interesting thing. Try living a life where you fluctuate back and forth to the point you don't know what's up, down, left, or right lol.

Incredible Member

On the subject of the thread, I really don't think Storm's relationship with Yukio needs to be explored. She's Storm: she's whatever she wants to be. A bit of ambiguity with her Japanese partner is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    I think your giving far too much credit to the writers about making Bobby gay when the reality is that there is a push in both big two companies to diversify so they are doing arbitrary race swaps (I'm not talking legacy stuff like Sam Wilson because thats not really a race swap, rather using DC as an example I mean Wally West where it was a literal race swap) and orientation changes.
    It was not arbitrary, though.

Scott is out because they aren't that brave plus he and Emma are a current power couple in the MU.
    Perhaps more to the point, he has been serially involved with multiple telepaths. Why would neither Jean nor Emma have picked up Cyclops' sexual orientation?

Warren is currently a mental vegetable.
    He was also a successful playboy. Of his two relationships, that with Candy Southern ended when she was murdered, while, again, one would have expected Psylocke picking up her boyfriend being gay.

Beast would have made more sense because at least ten years ago there was a possible hint when he declared he was gay (during the Morrison days I believe)
    That was a passing cutting remark he made to Trish Tilby, after she broke up with him in a voicemail message that (among other things) said it looked bad for his if she was involved in bestiality. Even in context, that was not serious. Later in Morrison's run, Emma Frost told Beast in passing that she knew for a fact he wasn't gay, so that excluded that.

That left Bobby by default, evidence be damned.
    I'll just note that other people have pointed out, repeatedly, different small things that could be taken to indicate Drake being in the closet. They weren't the only things, but they could be seen that way.

Bobby was the only one of the four original male X-Men who could be gay. Even if he was selected for some sort of diversity push, his selection was not arbitrary. He was the one of the four who could plausibly be deeply in the closet.

(Curiously, there's no speculation about Jean. Why couldn't she be bi?)

Quote Originally Posted by RandyMcDonald View Post
    I'll just note that other people have pointed out, repeatedly, different small things that could be taken to indicate Drake being in the closet. They weren't the only things, but they could be seen that way.

Bobby was the only one of the four original male X-Men who could be gay. Even if he was selected for some sort of diversity push, his selection was not arbitrary. He was the one of the four who could plausibly be deeply in the closet.

(Curiously, there's no speculation about Jean. Why couldn't she be bi?)
    Eh :/ anyone could be in the closet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Complexed View Post
    This isn't proof of anything. Just because people don't explore their emotional and sexual feelings every time they are together doesn't mean those feelings aren't there. And Pak was under no obligation to do a big LGBT story, but it doesn't mean the previous relationship wasn't there. Pak's story was highly interesting as it dealt with Storm feeling heart broken over Yukio making such poor choices. I don't think Storm is in love with Yukio anymore, but that's because Storm's a pompous witch.
    It indeed isn't a proof because there's Storm has always been straight in the first place.