Default Do you LIKE spoilers...or avoid them at all costs?

I don't flip through new comics before reading them--I want each flip of the page to be fresh, I want that last-page cliffhanger to have impact. I remember being stunned at the Xorn reveal in Morrison's X-Men--didn't see it coming. Likewise for the issue of Robinson's Starman where the character visited Rann--that last page was just great, kept you hanging on.

On the other hand, I look at things like the upcoming Rebirth at DC or the recent Secret Wars--I don't mind looking at advance info on what's coming, preview art. How about you? Do you care to read a solicitation for an upcoming book that may show the cover far in advance (though it's not technically a spoiler)? If a book is, say, changing hands in 6 months, do you want to have an idea of what's coming? Would the recently released new ANAD #1's have been more surprising had you not known what was in store for Peter Parker (as an example?

I would not have wanted to know details about Keyser Soze without seeing The Usual Suspects first. Seeing The Matrix back when it was first released was epic when one had no idea what The Matrix actually was. Some things should not be spoiled, and I wonder if comics would benefit if readers and fans were left in the dark a bit more regarding potentially big projects.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Well, the only time that i like to avoid the spoiler is when i plan to watch a movie in the premiere weekend or the next one, beyond that i dont care.

So no, i like knowing in advance what is going to happen.

It really depends on the item being spoiled. If it's a comic I plan to read, I try to avoid information about it until after I've read it. Now, details about something line-wide, like the recent relaunch we had, I'd like to at least know the broad strokes of what's going on. (I did read Secret Wars, so it's not like I was in the dark, but I'm speaking generally here.) I generally only seek out spoilers for something I'm on the fence about.

I'm the kind of person who googles for spoilers. I'm terrible. (Though in some cases I will definitely try to avoid them.)

It could be because I have no patience...

But I read an article once that explained how being spoiled actually makes the story MORE enjoyable for some people. IE - instead of it being about surprise, it becomes about anticipation... like you have knowledge of something the character does not and you can't wait to see how they react to it. I'm probably one of those people. When I get spoiled about something and it sounds just awesome to me... I don't get angry that I was spoiled and missed the surprise, I usually get even more excited to read/watch something than I was before.

To each their own. I suppose it all boils down to how your brain is wired.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    I'm the kind of person who googles for spoilers. I'm terrible. (Though in some cases I will definitely try to avoid them.)

But I read an article once that explained how being spoiled actually makes the story MORE enjoyable for some people. IE - instead of it being about surprise, it becomes about anticipation... like you have knowledge of something the character does not and you can't wait to see how they react to it. I'm probably one of those people. When I get spoiled about something and it sounds just awesome to me... I don't get angry that I was spoiled and missed the surprise, I usually get even more excited to read/watch something than I was before.

lol, we're similar--I totally get the anticipation thing, knowing what the characters don't, or knowing that some drastic change to status quo is coming and wondering just what leads to the change.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    lol, we're similar--I totally get the anticipation thing, knowing what the characters don't, or knowing that some drastic change to status quo is coming and wondering just what leads to the change.
    Yeah. I think the only case where I'd rather not be spoiled is a case where the plot development is a really shocking (but well-done) twist. In cases like those... I think the surprise is an important part of the experience. (Like what happened with Madrox and Siryn's baby in X-Factor. I wasn't spoiled and I'm glad I wasn't. My jaw hit the floor when I saw that page.)

I don't mind spoilers too much. I'm of the opinion that, I'm there for the journey and not the destination.
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Monthly Pull List: I don't update this nearly enough

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I avoid spoilers whenever possible, but I have a slightly narrower definition of spoilers. I don't count official teasers to be spoilers - so solicit synopses, previews, etc. are things I don't consider spoilers. They're controlled by the publishers who know to keep something a surprise if they want it to be a surprise.

Was the article on Cracked? I read that.

Mostly I try and avoid them. Like Force Awkens, I didn't see it for like a week and a half after it opened, and i avoided spoilers at all costs and am glad I did. Especially THAT spoiler, you know the one. I think it depends on the type of thing being spoiled. If it is a twist ending, I don't want that spoiled, same for most deaths. But more general plot stuff in am ok with. I get the point about watching something and the feeling of anticipation when you know what's going to happen, but in prefer to learn what happened on my own, then go back and re-read/watch to get and new perspective.

This is pretty much me. I try to avoid spoilers, but if I'm really excited about something...I actively seek more info. My wife almost never reads about anything in advance, so it's also fun to see her reactions

In terms of comics I'm somewhere in the middle, I don't hate spoilers but I don't go out of my way to find them either. The only exception is books I'm on the fence about, then I might gauge whether to buy it through spoilers.

BANNED

I don't go to my local LCS and spoilers are my only way of knowing what happening in the current comics.