View Poll Results: Would you buy a team title with the Charlton characters?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

71 63.39%
  • No

21 18.75%
  • Don't know/No opinion

20 17.86%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

They should be in their own city but I wouldn't limit their missions. That never works. Remember JLA Task Force?

Incredible Member

I wouldn't support one. Because it would have to overcome the two 900 pound gorillas in the room. Watchmen and Pax Americana.

The Charlton characters seem to get absolutely pidgeonholed into those types and flavors of stories. To the exclusion of all else. And I do not see that as being healthy to those properties.

The individual characters need room to grow, to expand. To define themselves for future generations. And with how things currently are? I don't see that being possible.

Incredible Member

Definitely!

BANNED

This is looking damned good, DC. I bet no other proposed title that would get a response like this.

What are you waiting for?

Voted no...because I follow artists and writers, not characters.

I know dear old Trey thinks some characters are almost writer proof..I just don't agree. The same writer that cocks up Metal Men will also crap out on Batman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Voted no...because I follow artists and writers, not characters.

I know dear old Trey thinks some characters are almost writer proof..I just don't agree. The same writer that cocks up Metal Men will also crap out on Batman.
    You can follow anyone you want to. But I bet if your favorite writer had a run on this title, you'd buy it.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I just want a CAPTAIN ATOM series to pick up where the last left off.
    I think you are in the minority on this one. Most people I know hated the Nu52 Doc Manhattan lite fanfic they turned Captain Atom into myself included. It made the character pretty much toxic as far as being used anywhere else after that series was put out of its misery.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    You can follow anyone you want to. But I bet if your favorite writer had a run on this title, you'd buy it.
    There's several writers I'd follow if they ever stayed on a current DC title long enough...and you're right to suggest that Charlton characters wouldn't put me off.

But honestly the characters themselves wouldn't influence my decision at all...and it's a fair while since DC kept any writers I like on a title for a long run...so reality is I'd be unlikely to read a Charlton heroes team book.

My gut reaction is Hell, Yes! That said, I'm not very fond of the New 52 versions of these characters. Captain Atom was too much Dr. Manhattan for my tastes. Question as na ancient sinner cursed to pay for his crimes against humanity. Blue Beatle is Jaime Reyes (which I'm fine with), not Ted Kord (my favorite), etc...
    I much prefer the heroes as they were in the post-COIE DCU, which, IMHO, was more faithful to the Charlton era characters.

Peace

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    I wouldn't support one. Because it would have to overcome the two 900 pound gorillas in the room. Watchmen and Pax Americana.

The Charlton characters seem to get absolutely pidgeonholed into those types and flavors of stories. To the exclusion of all else. And I do not see that as being healthy to those properties.

The individual characters need room to grow, to expand. To define themselves for future generations. And with how things currently are? I don't see that being possible.
    Hmm...I don't know. Watchmen was a deconstruction of the superhero genre and Pax was a deconstruction of Watchmen. Neither story took place in the main DCU. I don't think it would be that hard to write the Charlton heroes as a team in traditional super hero tales.

Come to think of it, didn't DC do this some years ago? It was called L.A.W. I think...?

BANNED

You're leaving money on the table here, DC. Just pick it up.

BANNED

I even bought the "Living Assault Weapons" mini in the 90s to the last issue, even though it was horribly bland.

BANNED

Depends...

Who is writing it, and is somebody else than Liefeld of Greg Land doing the art?

You're leaving money on the table here, DC. Just pick it up.
    Indeed.
    Question is, and it's an important question to DC, is this money that is being left on the table significantly more than what it would cost to produce such a book?

Incredible Member

I'd read a pax americana series from Morrison....

I voted no. Not because of the characters and not because I wouldn't enjoy it but just because I think that DC really needs to focus on producing a stable line of consistent sellers before they try and produce niche books like this that really are only targeted to a specific audience (such as ourselves). DC YOU didn't work because they were trying to pander to what everyone wanted and still their consistent high selling books were JL big characters and the books that failed were the niche books with outside the box characters. DC needs to focus on producing quality books that produce good sales numbers. And the truth is that they would never get a decent creative team on this book and I wouldn't want them to waste that talent here when they could put them on something more mainstream. Sorry for the pessimism.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales