View Poll Results: Would you buy a team title with the Charlton characters?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

71 63.39%
  • No

21 18.75%
  • Don't know/No opinion

20 17.86%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

The only way they could screw it up is to make it quirky and thus able to appeal only to a small audience. I think there's a real danger they'd do that though.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

It would depend on who is working on the book. What would make this team different from an existing team like the Justice League besides having different characters? Depending on what the concept it is , I could give it a shot. But if it's just Justice League Lite then I would rather read something else.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    I even bought the "Living Assault Weapons" mini in the 90s to the last issue, even though it was horribly bland.
    It was. Dick Giordano and Bob Layton are both competent artists and even legends in the industry, however, you really don't try and launch a title with artists a couple of decades past their peak. Getting rid of Captain Atom (the most powerful and, arguably, most recognizable member of the "team") in the first issue was a HUGE mistake. The New Peacemaker was kind of lame, also. Still, it had some interesting beats. I much prefered the team that assembled in Justice League Quarterly 14.

Still, this is an impressive line-up:

If I were to make a new Peacemaker, I'd make it a female, boost a bit her physical habilities. Nighshade would have to be at her top fighting prowess, sort of like she was after the events in Nighshade Odyssey. A real power player. Cap NEEDs to be the action hero/military man. Though I don't mind Jaimie Reyes, Ted Kord is my favorite Blue Beatle. JSA's Sonia Sato was a great Judomaster. As for the Question, while I do think he should remain a normal man who is a máster fighter, he should up his play in pretending to be a supernatural character. Have his gás hav alucinogenic proprieties, and maybe have a mechanism in his watch that makes him invisible to any type of electronic survailences (maybe stolen from Mister Terrific, or developed by Ted Kord). Small details like that would make him more eficiente.

Peace

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    It would depend on who is working on the book. What would make this team different from an existing team like the Justice League besides having different characters? Depending on what the concept it is , I could give it a shot. But if it's just Justice League Lite then I would rather read something else.
    Different characters are the only difference it needs. If you tinker with it more than hat, you'll screw it up. Guaranteed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Different characters are the only difference it needs. If you tinker with it more than hat, you'll screw it up. Guaranteed.
    If there is one thing the contemporary mainstream superhero comicbook audience does not like and is openly hostile towards, it's different characters.

I feel like the results are so positive only because the vast majority of people don't care enough about the Charlton characters to even open the thread and vote.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    If they're the Justice League but with characters most people don't know, who's going to read it and what will keep it around? I mean, I liked books like Power Company, The Authority, Young Justice, Nextwave, and the Justice League International because they took different approaches to superhero teams. I don't see why the team working on the book couldn't find something about the Charlton characters that makes them different from Superman, Batman,Wonder Woman, etc and run with it. With all the superhero teams out there something has to be done to get people to pay attention to the Charlton characters team or they'll just get lost in a sea of titles.

BANNED

People on message board always clamor for niche titles and limited missions. They don't seem to notice that that never works.

Thinking small with a comic is a losing strategy. If I'm writing the Charlton team comic, I won't accept a limited mission. Later for that. Give the JLA a limited mission and see how that works out for them. My goal every month is to make the JLA look bad in comparison to my comic. My guys are going to deal with anything that comes their way. The JLA characters are the Humpty Dumpties here, not my guys.

That's the attitude that will sell this comic.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-14-2016 at 09:04 PM.

BANNED

It all depends...

Put Grant Morrison and JG Jones on it, and suddenly that niche title is a top 5 book...

Yeah, I would. With a few caveats, granted. I don't think I'd buy one with the New 52 Question (even though I don't hate him) or anything but the original Peacemaker. I think there is a ton of potential with a classic PM that's untapped.

Looking at the picture below I'd want all original characters, no replacements, except Judomaster would be Sonia Sato.
    Son of Vulcan would replace Thunderbolt in this picture.

Note: I'd keep Rip Jagger set in WWII and keep an adult Tiger having been Nightshade's martial arts instructor.

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    Looking at the picture below I'd want all original characters, no replacements, except Judomaster would be Sonia Sato.
    Son of Vulcan would replace Thunderbolt in this picture.

Note: I'd keep Rip Jagger set in WWII and keep an adult Tiger having been Nightshade's martial arts instructor.

The team would just be odd. Most of the the characters are more street level heroes while Captain Atom is not. It would be like having a team of 6 Batmen and one Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The team would just be odd. Most of the the characters are more street level heroes while Captain Atom is not. It would be like having a team of 6 Batmen and one Superman.
    Maybe Captain Atom could go to JLA. Hell, maybe Batman could go to the Charlton title. Just do a swap there.

Depends on the "stage" of the character you go with. In her own way, at certain stage of her development, Nightshade was quite a powerplayer. Se could use the shadows to teleport and bring them to live, calling forth shadow beasts from her shadow dimension. If you went with Jaimie Reyes Blue Beatle (or even Dan Garret) instead of Ted Kord, you get another power player. Same could be said for Sonia Sato instead of Rip Jagger, the original Judo Master.

Peace

Having Captain Atom, Nightshade and Son of Vulcan on the team makes it more like Batman & The Outsiders IMO.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.