View Poll Results: Would you buy a team title with the Charlton characters?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

71 63.39%
  • No

21 18.75%
  • Don't know/No opinion

20 17.86%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Probably not.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    Having Captain Atom, Nightshade and Son of Vulcan on the team makes it more like Batman & The Outsiders IMO.
    i know i can search wikipedia,maybe later, but who is the son of vulcan?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Old Charlton character that DC never did much with. He's the adopted son of the Roman god Vulcan, who is a version of the Greek god Hephaestus.

Huh - there was apparently a 6-issue "Son of Vulcan" mini about ten years ago introducing a teen legacy version of the character. Totally don't remember ever seeing this. Wonder if he ever appeared after that? He Looked cool. Anyone have that mini?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-20-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'd certainly sample the book for a few issues, probably the first arc. It'd have to have a solid hook(like any book really).
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Yep...he's a Charlton hero that hasn't been used much.
    If I had influence with DC I'd make the Son of Vulcan DC's answer to Thor.

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

I think Son of Vulcan/Johnny Mann appeared in like, one panel of the last issue of CoIE, then he didn't appear again until George Perez gave him a semi-prominent role in War of the Gods...which ended with him dying and, IIRC, his spirit joining the Roman pantheon or something.

I don't know if it's been pointed out, but DC no longer has the rights to Peter Cannon, aka Thunderbolt. I think they somehow reverted to, or were regained by, Pete Morisi's estate, which has currently granted the license to Dynamic Comics.

When was the last time Sarge Steel appeared anywhere?

Ack! My second double post of the day.....

BANNED

Come on, DC. What are you waiting for here? You're leaving money on the table.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    I even bought the "Living Assault Weapons" mini in the 90s to the last issue, even though it was horribly bland.
    You ought to get a Christmas card every year from DC with a note of thanks for that. I thought it was bad in an era of bad comics.

As for the original suggestion I'd have to say under certain conditions, if Thunderbolt is not available they would need to not replace him with some brand new character otherwise what's the point and it would need to be written by someone who can write Vic Sage, which is not as big a list as you might think and certainly does not include Snyder or Azzarello

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I would buy anything as long as the writing is good.
    If these characters were exceptionally well written, in a team book, wouldn't it essentially be Watchmen with different costumes? And wasn't that what Watchmen was? An exceptionally well written Charlton team in different costumes?

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    If these characters were exceptionally well written, in a team book, wouldn't it essentially be Watchmen with different costumes? And wasn't that what Watchmen was? An exceptionally well written Charlton team in different costumes?
    Pretty much but it was also a darker version of the Charlton team.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Yes and no? While it's true that the main characters in The Watchmen were re-worked version of the Charlton heroes, the point of the story was very different. It was a deconstruction/satire of the superhero genre and a commentary on the Cold War. It wouldn't make much sense to do say the continuing adventures of the Watchmen.

But a well written version of the original heroes done straight with great art could be the next New Teen Titans or Grant's Doom Patrol or something...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Yes and no? While it's true that the main characters in The Watchmen were re-worked version of the Charlton heroes, the point of the story was very different. It was a deconstruction/satire of the superhero genre and a commentary on the Cold War. It wouldn't make much sense to do say the continuing adventures of the Watchmen.

But a well written version of the original heroes done straight with great art could be the next New Teen Titans or Grant's Doom Patrol or something...
    This.
    If for example you want to see what a well written Charlton character looks like, try O'Neill's Question series. He's not really like Rorschach at all in personality or in approach for that matter . There is even an issue where the Question directly compares himself to the comic book Rorschach he's reading.

Captain Atom is trickier. His post crisis series is more how I'd imagine him to be in a Charlton team comic but if you've read N52 Captain ManAtom then the line between original and Watchman is blurry

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Icefalcon View Post
    This.
    If for example you want to see what a well written Charlton character looks like, try O'Neill's Question series. He's not really like Rorschach at all in personality or in approach for that matter.
    To be fair, the actual Steve Ditko Question that was actually published by Charlton Comics did not have a lot in common with the Denny O'Neill Question. The original Question was more like Rorschach than Denny's zen kung fu guy.