View Poll Results: Would you buy a team title with the Charlton characters?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

71 63.39%
  • No

21 18.75%
  • Don't know/No opinion

20 17.86%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    If these characters were exceptionally well written, in a team book, wouldn't it essentially be Watchmen with different costumes? And wasn't that what Watchmen was? An exceptionally well written Charlton team in different costumes?
    Not really. Watchamn may have used the Charlton heroes as templates, but it was really a study in super-heroes neurosis. Most characters had very little to do with the actual Charlton heroes. Rorschach was a psycopath, Nite-Owl a well of insecurities, the Comedian a sociopath, and so on... Captain Atom was a super-powered military man action hero, not the juiced up isolated from humanity god Dr. Manhattan was (IMHO, a one trick poney, that wouldn't work on an ongoing series,as the Nu52 Captain Atom seemes to have proven). Unlike Nightshade, Silk Spectre didn't have any powers and was basically eye-candy, , and there were no super-villains for them to fight, after all, it was supposed to be super-heroes in the "real world" (as pretty much everyone, I love Watchman, but the concept in itself is pretty dumb, and Moore's idea of what the real world and real people are like is downright sad).
    Honestly, I think a US govenment funded and controled super-hero strike unit using the Charlton heroes could be great. Forget Watchman already, and give us great super-heroes in a super-hero world.

Peace

BANNED

This should be a street-level title, with Captain Atom moved elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Depends on the "stage" of the character you go with. In her own way, at certain stage of her development, Nightshade was quite a powerplayer. Se could use the shadows to teleport and bring them to live, calling forth shadow beasts from her shadow dimension. If you went with Jaimie Reyes Blue Beatle (or even Dan Garret) instead of Ted Kord, you get another power player. Same could be said for Sonia Sato instead of Rip Jagger, the original Judo Master.

Peace
    What would happen if Ted Kord got his hands on the Scarab? That would add another "power player" who's also a technical and scientific genius, to boot!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I feel the opposite. It should be a Justice League/X-Men type comic, but the Question doesn't go into space. He only appears in Earthbound stories

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Just keep them solo or parts of other teams. L.A.W. was one of the worst things ever.

Every time I see a post with the words "street-level" in it, I know it will be from Trey Strain.

Every time I see a post with the words "street-level" in it, I know it will be from Trey Strain.
    Of course. "Street-level" is Trey Strain's shorthand for "generic, bland, and requiring absolutely no thought or imagination from either the writer or the audience".

BANNED

Well maybe they should go neat up Darkseid. I'd buy into that.

BTW, when you hear a good idea like the one proposed in this thread, it's probably mine too.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-19-2016 at 10:13 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Of course. "Street-level" is Trey Strain's shorthand for "generic, bland, and requiring absolutely no thought or imagination from either the writer or the audience".
    It was my idea that they get a title in the first place.

How quickly they forget!
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-19-2016 at 10:15 AM.

BANNED

BYW, anyone who thinks that street level = flop isn't paying attention to the fact that Batman is far and away DC's most profitable franchise. It's the super-powered side of the house that's struggling.

It was my idea that they get a title in the first place.

How quickly they forget!
    We forget nothing. What we do remember is Living Assault Weapons (mentioned earlier) from 1999 and something called Watchmen from 1986. But keep on thinking it was your idea in the first place.

Default Would you buy a team title starring the charlton characters?

I would love to see the Return of the Charlton heroes.
    Take them from their Charlton run... and continue to build on those stories... and those characters. Even if it meant to reprint those stories again....

They need not become a team right away.... and Captain Atom needs to be 'de-powered' from his DC look to a more relatable 'Charlton look'.
    Four of them... Captain Atom, Nightshade, The Question, and Blue Beetle could become a loose team at first... and then, slowly add the others: The Peacemaker (without the DC craziness), Judo-master and Tiger, .... and yes, even Peter Cannon, ...THUNDERBOLT... (who's present owners know nothing about T-Bolt's origin... or about PAM's characterization of Peter Cannon.)

But they would need to have a good writer ... and a good artist ... to carry the load. DC is reluctant to invest a good writer/artist team on the Charlton heroes.

I think these characters would sell books if handled the right way.!! But DC would have to be true to who these characters are ... and to have them display who they really are and why we loved them in the first place.
    Last edited by The Wizard; 06-19-2016 at 11:16 AM. Reason: add title,

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    We forget nothing. What we do remember is Living Assault Weapons (mentioned earlier) from 1999 and something called Watchmen from 1986. But keep on thinking it was your idea in the first place.
    First, only Queen Victotia is allowed to to use "we" that way. You need to use "I." And no, this isn't LAW or the Watchmen. But if you think it's a good idea, and I assume that you do, then you're welcome.

And I still say that Legion won't sell in the modern market.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-19-2016 at 01:16 PM.

First, only Queen Victotia is allowed to to use "we" that way. You need to use "I." And no, this isn't LAW or the Watchmen. But if you think it's a good idea, and I assume that you do, then you're welcome.
    No, it's a traditional first person plural use of we, signifying that more than one person remembers other books feature the Charlton heroes. Is claiming this was your idea first some kind of a joke? I'm not talking about the idea, I'm just pointing out that it's been around for decades already.

And I still say that Legion won't sell in the modern market.
    Awesome. But the first few dozen or so times you said it were sufficient to express your opinion.

BANNED

Since of course you had this in mind all along, I saved you the trouble of starting a thread l=about it. didn't I?