View Poll Results: Would you buy a team title with the Charlton characters?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

71 63.39%
  • No

21 18.75%
  • Don't know/No opinion

20 17.86%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
    I would love to see the Return of the Charlton heroes.
    Take them from their Charlton run... and continue to build on those stories... and those characters. Even if it meant to reprint those stories again....

They need not become a team right away.... and Captain Atom needs to be 'de-powered' from his DC look to a more relatable 'Charlton look'.
    Four of them... Captain Atom, Nightshade, The Question, and Blue Beetle could become a loose team at first... and then, slowly add the others: The Peacemaker (without the DC craziness), Judo-master and Tiger, .... and yes, even Peter Cannon, ...THUNDERBOLT... (who's present owners know nothing about T-Bolt's origin... or about PAM's characterization of Peter Cannon.)

But they would need to have a good writer ... and a good artist ... to carry the load. DC is reluctant to invest a good writer/artist team on the Charlton heroes.

I think these characters would sell books if handled the right way.!! But DC would have to be true to who these characters are ... and to have them display who they really are and why we loved them in the first place.
    Just a reminder that since DC Comics no longer owns the rights or license to publish stories about Peter Cannon aka Thunderbolt (that would be Pete Morisi himself, or actually his family, since Morisi has since died), in fact, no, DC currently can't do anything with Peter Cannon. That would currently be Dynamite Press. If/when that license expires, and if the Morisi family chooses not to renew it with Dynamite, then maybe DC might want to renew that license, but they still wouldn't own the character like they currently do Captain Atom, Nightshade, Blue Beetle, etc.

BANNED

Protagonists who don't have overwhelming powers don't need to be randomly tossed into stories with other protagonists and with villains who do have them. What in the hell are they going to do in such stories? Nothing . They're wasted in scenarios like that.

Use them where they're useful. Don't arbitrarily use them there they're not useful and then call yourself creative for doing so. That's just common sense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Protagonists who don't have overwhelming powers don't need to be randomly tossed into stories with other protagonists and with villains who do have them. What in the hell are they going to do in such stories? Nothing . They're wasted in scenarios like that.
    It's like you have heard of comics, but have never actually read any...

BANNED

Hand tools work best for certain jobs, and power tools work best for certain other jobs. That doesn't mean that hand tools are "inferior" to power tools.

It's the same principle here.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    We forget nothing. What we do remember is Living Assault Weapons (mentioned earlier) from 1999 and something called Watchmen from 1986. But keep on thinking it was your idea in the first place.
    Actually, there was also The Sentinels of Justice Special, shortly before the characters came to DC (by Americomics, if I'm not mistaken), which was my introduction to the characters. Captain Atom, Nightshade (in a pretty good costume I only remember seeing her use there), Question and Blue Beetle (Ted Kord with the giant Bug) against the Ghost. I found it quite intriguing. Too bad it never went beyond that.

Peace

BANNED

One objection people make to pitting street-level characters against antagonists who are more their speed is, do you remember that time that so-and-so overcame so-and-su, and wasn't that exciting?

Well, I know all about pitting protagonists against antagonists. Nobody can accuse me of not knowing how that works. But Batman just doesn't need to fight cosmic threats. That's how he came to be known scornfully as Bat-God.

Characters like Superman exist to fight antagonists like that. If Batman is going to fight tyhem, then just get rid of Superman.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-20-2016 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Well, I know all about pitting protagonists against antagonists. Nobody can accuse me of not knowing how that works.
    So, exactly how many stories have you sold to publishers? That were actually published? And no, your fanfiction on your own website DOES NOT COUNT.

BANNED

ANd I still say that Ryan Choi can't carry a solo title. I think he'd do very well in The Atomic Order though.

BANNED

Let me emphasize something though. If Dc follows its usual "trickle down" approach with this comic -- designating it as the B-Team for the JLA, giving it a limited mission, and so on -- it will fail. Guaranteed.

They need to be smart here and encourage the writer to do everything he can think of every month to kick the JLA's ass into another time zone.

Then it'll sell.

I'd like a "Question" book again, but only if its Vic Sage again and only if Frank Miller does it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    I'd like a "Question" book again, but only if its Vic Sage again and only if Frank Miller does it
    Well, if he ever does, Miller being Miller, it's not going to bear any resemblance whatsoever to any of the previous Vic Sages, not Steve Ditko's and certainly not Denny O'neil's.

For this to work in my mind, the writers would have to pretend this comic occurs within it's on universe only loosely connected with the other DC titles almost like what was done with X-Men and Avengers way back in the day.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    For this to work in my mind, the writers would have to pretend this comic occurs within it's on universe only loosely connected with the other DC titles almost like what was done with X-Men and Avengers way back in the day.
    A very sound concept for any superhero book, and I would buy a lot more of them if more books did this.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    It could I think work even with the pre-Flashpoint continuity where half these guys have ties to the Justice League. The trick would be finding a distinct voice for this particular team.

Yes, absolutely.