Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default JUSTICE LEAGUE #48 Spoilers

Sooooo....I'm kinda underwhelmed with this. Here we have a Justice League story that just feels like it should be centered around Diana, Gods "New" or otherwise, and its...kinda boring to me. The Amazo Virus arc was such a better showing of Diana doing something, here, she's just narrating the story. I feel Geoff Jones has her "Voice" finally right, but she hasn't really done anything at all during the Darkseid War. Diana and Lois/Diana both use their lassos on Mobius, and neither work on him. Steve gets kidnapped by Grail, ever playing the damsel lol. Eh. I'm ready for this to end already. I feel its drawn on entirely too long.

I dunno, what do the rest of you think?
    Richard Alexander

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    Sooooo....I'm kinda underwhelmed with this. Here we have a Justice League story that just feels like it should be centered around Diana, Gods "New" or otherwise, and its...kinda boring to me. The Amazo Virus arc was such a better showing of Diana doing something, here, she's just narrating the story. I feel Geoff Jones has her "Voice" finally right, but she hasn't really done anything at all during the Darkseid War. Diana and Lois/Diana both use their lassos on Mobius, and neither work on him. Steve gets kidnapped by Grail, ever playing the damsel lol. Eh. I'm ready for this to end already. I feel its drawn on entirely too long.

I think there are a lot of things going on, and he can only do so much with her. I think with the grail special and the final issue, she'll get some focus. I've got a feelin WW will be the one to defeat Grail.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I think there are a lot of things going on, and he can only do so much with her. I think with the grail special and the final issue, she'll get some focus. I've got a feelin WW will be the one to defeat Grail.
    Grail's entrance was so awesome. Now she's just there. And Myrna Black, eh. I don't want to dislike whats going on, but its like TOO much is going on. I think maybe they should have left out the JL turing into Gods. They haven't really done anything with it or with Diana being God of War.
    Richard Alexander

BANNED

Grail's entrance was so awesome. Now she's just there. And Myrna Black, eh. I don't want to dislike whats going on, but its like TOO much is going on. I think maybe they should have left out the JL turing into Gods. They haven't really done anything with it or with Diana being God of War.
    Its alot going on because Of The Anti-monitor really. He really fucked everyones life up pretty badly and I really don't see how they are going to get out of this one in a single piece. Ultraman already got De-materialized .

I've always felt Grail was specifically being introduced and set up to be Wonder Woman's arch-nemesis in her mythos, and I fully expect her to integrate over to Wonder Woman's main title after this. So I don't think her lack of focus lately with all the other elements at play is a particular negative. She still has a big finishing role to play obviously, then I think she'll be getting a lot of attention from there on out in WW.

And yes my gut is still telling me that symbolically the arch-nemesis label is going to come about in a big way because she'll be responsible for Steve dying. Rebirth has shaken that theory for me a bit, but each issue of Darkseid War continues to paint the picture, imo.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I've always felt Grail was specifically being introduced and set up to be Wonder Woman's arch-nemesis in her mythos, and I fully expect her to integrate over to Wonder Woman's main title after this. So I don't think her lack of focus lately with all the other elements at play is a particular negative. She still has a big finishing role to play obviously, then I think she'll be getting a lot of attention from there on out in WW.

And yes my gut is still telling me that symbolically the arch-nemesis label is going to come about in a big way because she'll be responsible for Steve dying. Rebirth has shaken that theory for me a bit, but each issue of Darkseid War continues to paint the picture, imo.
    I would say this needs Geoff Johns to be the next writer on Wonder Woman, otherwise the next writer is likely to simply ignore her to the same degree they've done, say, Superwoman, in favor of w/e they want to do.

Also, considering you are unlikely to be able to really kill the AM, I am assuming one or both of Myrna and Grail are going to end up as casualties of the last big fight the same manner Scar was in Blackest Night.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

A few things to keep in mind. This is a team book, not Diana's solo book. She's gotten some nice moments in this arc and in this issue(she negotiated Cyborg's freedom w/Owlman) plus Johns has said that a major secret about her will be revealed in this storyline. As for the lassos not working on the Anti-Monitor, in Crisis On Infinite Earths, just about nothing worked on him. Even the Spectre needed to be amped up to take him down.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I would say this needs Geoff Johns to be the next writer on Wonder Woman, otherwise the next writer is likely to simply ignore her to the same degree they've done, say, Superwoman, in favor of w/e they want to do.

Also, considering you are unlikely to be able to really kill the AM, I am assuming one or both of Myrna and Grail are going to end up as casualties of the last big fight the same manner Scar was in Blackest Night.
    johns writing WW and using Grail would be great. many writers would just prefer to do their own things.

Grail won't kill Steve, she will transform him into a new god to be her companion. if she was going to kill him, she would already get it done.

I really liked the issue, I can't wait to see WW role and the WW vs grail to save steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    A few things to keep in mind. This is a team book, not Diana's solo book. She's gotten some nice moments in this arc and in this issue(she negotiated Cyborg's freedom w/Owlman) plus Johns has said that a major secret about her will be revealed in this storyline. As for the lassos not working on the Anti-Monitor, in Crisis On Infinite Earths, just about nothing worked on him. Even the Spectre needed to be amped up to take him down.
    She got, in my opinion, one nice moment, her calming down Superman and the power of her lasso being used correctly, and a lot of internal monologue. It doesn't feel as if she's taking the lead, figuring things out for herself, or doing much of anything other than standing there and her vambraces being destroyed. Amazo Virus she was leading the charge, taking on the League by herself almost saving the day. No kidding that this is a team book, but when she rarely if ever gets the opportunity to be lead in stories, yes I want to see more of it.
    Richard Alexander

I don't think Grail kills Steve because she wants him dead. That's not her aim, obviously. She has more in mind. But I do think she'll kill him after Steve defies her so she can't get from him what she wants. Or he turns the tables on her and sacrifices himself. Either way she's ultimately responsible and a personal hatred between WW and her is sown.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I don't think Grail kills Steve because she wants him dead. That's not her aim, obviously. She has more in mind. But I do think she'll kill him after Steve defies her so she can't get from him what she wants. Or he turns the tables on her and sacrifices himself. Either way she's ultimately responsible and a personal hatred between WW and her is sown.

I will be extremely disappointed if Steve is killed off. He's been more relevant in the New 52 than he's been in decades. If they kill him off now, this will be worse than Perez making him an old man in the previous reboot.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

can someone tell me how Diana's bracers are back? Didn't Grail destroy them back at the beginning of this arc? Did I miss something?

Fantastic Member

I think Steve will become a God.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Man, I hope not. If Johns ends up writing WW, I can see him bringing her in. But I think he's too big of a Silver/Bronze age fanboy to elevate her over Cheetah, Ares or Circe. Especially with Ares being the most likely candidate for the film's villain, so the God of War is likely to see some play at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    can someone tell me how Diana's bracers are back? Didn't Grail destroy them back at the beginning of this arc? Did I miss something?
    They reformed themselves.