Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'll give you the lack of Diana getting her own one-shot. That was majorly disappointing. But what about when Diana stopped darkened Superman with peace instead of war? I thought that was a major non-violent win for her.
    She has had a moment or two, but considering how long this storyline has been running, that the whole plotline has an Amazon tie-in villain and that the others have gotten so much more (plus the one shot), it's a bit of a let down.

I hope they'll be more page time and plot/story impact for her before it's done, though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Although yes, it is a team book, every single member of the 'team' got their own one-shot *except* for Diana. Everyone else has had not only their spotlights in the main title, but a whole one shot to shine. She's the narrator of the entire story, and the only one of all of them who is a god by birth and not circumstance.

Yet other than that voiceover, all we see is 'your lasso fails' and he slams Diana and Superwoman together like a scene from the three stooges while the Supermen beat on him and draw serious blood.

I'm tired of Diana being all talk and no action. I'm hoping that what it comes down to is that the other JLers can't handle godhood, but Diana can and that that is somehow key to the plot. She needs something to make up for the lack of a single issue of Diana/JL action.
    aquaman and cyborg also didn't had one-shots. aquaman isn't even on the story

for me the right characterization is already a plus. But I think Diana needs to be the one that will play a pivotal role on the end of darkseid war

I like Johns' writing and ideas, but this has lost momentum. It feels (because I don't know) that the story may have gotten too big and grandiose from its original concept - with the one-shots and upcoming Darkseid War #1. It's become an event or lead into Rebirth and stumbling a bit to make all the connections to make that happen. Forever Evil felt the same to me. Started with a strong concept, then meandered a little bit in telling of it.

This issue was more enjoyable to me than the last couple, with a the Crime Syndicate in full force interacting with the Leaguers, but I feel like I've had the same splash page again and again of either Anti-Monitor, Darkseid, Mobius, or Lexseid showing up. I like Grail, Myrna Black, etc., so again strong, fun concepts but it's lagging a bit in the middle of the story for me. Johns' Diana has been good, her voice and connection to Steve and I like that he's portraying her as consequential in leading the League.

Whether it had to accommodate changes for Rebirth or not (which is very possible), I doubt the scope of the story changed that much from original concept. Regardless of the ultimate outcome(s) it was always designed to be big. It was basically a summer event without being a summer event, rather placing it all within one title for once. If aspects feel rushed or plodding due to scope, I think its just because they bit off a large bit to chew from the get-go, as opposed to it getting bigger than intended.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Okay, I'm deeply confused.

Should this thread by titled 48 or is this a preview thread. 49 isn't supposed to be out for another month.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I like Johns' writing and ideas, but this has lost momentum. It feels (because I don't know) that the story may have gotten too big and grandiose from its original concept - with the one-shots and upcoming Darkseid War #1. It's become an event or lead into Rebirth and stumbling a bit to make all the connections to make that happen. Forever Evil felt the same to me. Started with a strong concept, then meandered a little bit in telling of it.

This issue was more enjoyable to me than the last couple, with a the Crime Syndicate in full force interacting with the Leaguers, but I feel like I've had the same splash page again and again of either Anti-Monitor, Darkseid, Mobius, or Lexseid showing up. I like Grail, Myrna Black, etc., so again strong, fun concepts but it's lagging a bit in the middle of the story for me. Johns' Diana has been good, her voice and connection to Steve and I like that he's portraying her as consequential in leading the League.

Perhaps you're not aware but in the interviews with Johns shortly before the first issue of Darkseid War went on sale, he mentioned that he wanted JL to be *THE* event book with Darkseid War instead of a separate series with a multitude of tie-ins.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by willienotwilliam View Post
    i dont mind the lasso not working but it shouldnt be because of power but because of the entity somehow is beyond the concept of truth like the deal with bizarro or if like she tried to wrap the presence in it, so if it was because of that then id be fine with it if not id hate it
    This is what bothers me...

Comics are a visual medium. Certain writers like Perez/Wein and Gail Simone have done a great job showing how the lasso can get Diana into someone's head, visually. Why hasn't DC kept this up?

Usually when someone wants to show wonder woman's limitations with the lasso, like how it won't work here, or how sometimes a monster will snap it to show how strong they are, the visual effect is just so weak. Here, the guy laughs off the weakness of the ineffectual lassos, and takes it further by slamming the amazons together with their own ropes. In other words, not only are their weapons useless, but they also are physically weak and get pulled around, AND they're *too stupid and slow* to just, ya know, let go of the ropes, and avoid getting slammed into each other. (Try watching the justice league animated series' about 1 out of every three times, Diana throws the lasso on someone and they turn out to be Stronger and pull on their end, slamming her into a wall.)

I would love to see the struggle of wills happen. Take the opportunity here (like how it's done to show anti monitor disintegrating Ultraman) show the massive struggle of godlike powers. Don't take the opportunity to make the woman characters look weak..they have had that done to them thousdands of times already!

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyLaskey View Post

Comics are a visual medium. Certain writers like Perez/Wein and Gail Simone have done a great job showing how the lasso can get Diana into someone's head, visually. Why hasn't DC kept this up?

Usually when someone wants to show wonder woman's limitations with the lasso, like how it won't work here, or how sometimes a monster will snap it to show how strong they are, the visual effect is just so weak. Here, the guy laughs off the weakness of the ineffectual lassos, and takes it further by slamming the amazons together with their own ropes. In other words, not only are their weapons useless, but they also are physically weak and get pulled around, AND they're *too stupid and slow* to just, ya know, let go of the ropes, and avoid getting slammed into each other. (Try watching the justice league animated series' about 1 out of every three times, Diana throws the lasso on someone and they turn out to be Stronger and pull on their end, slamming her into a wall.)

I would love to see the struggle of wills happen. Take the opportunity here (like how it's done to show anti monitor disintegrating Ultraman) show the massive struggle of godlike powers. Don't take the opportunity to make the woman characters look weak..they have had that done to them thousdands of times already!
    It's only a problem because too many writers make the lasso about strength and unbreakability rather than showcasing it as a tool of great skill. How often do you think a cowboy goes out and lassos a bull around the waist and just tries to stand there holding it? A smart individual knows to use the lasso with the proper leverage or to rope together legs or a leg to an arm thus binding a foe in a position where they cannot just "pull the other end of the rope". Used properly Diana's speed and skill should have her binding her foes in an eye blink in a fashion where their physical strength makes no difference. Marston did this quiet often (sexual,subtext aside, it was effective)

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Perhaps you're not aware but in the interviews with Johns shortly before the first issue of Darkseid War went on sale, he mentioned that he wanted JL to be *THE* event book with Darkseid War instead of a separate series with a multitude of tie-ins.
    Ahhhh. Thanks for the clarification Dr Poison - I missed that info. I thought the tie-ins, etc. we're newly added elements after the first couple of issues did well instead of being fully contained in JL.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Ahhhh. Thanks for the clarification Dr Poison - I missed that info. I thought the tie-ins, etc. we're newly added elements after the first couple of issues did well instead of being fully contained in JL.

No problem. It's hard to keep up on all of the news, interviews, previews, etc. that DC releases. Happy to help.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyLaskey View Post

i feel like people think "challenging" her character means ruining her character or undermining her which just isnt the cast. Simone's "ends of the earth" was an example of really challenging the character and her mythos in a way that respected it and understood what they meant. i think another good example of this is Marston's 11th issue of her solo series(the introduction of hypnota) which may be outdated but at least for writers can show how you can challenge her and her typical methods without underminding them

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    It's only a problem because too many writers make the lasso about strength and unbreakability rather than showcasing it as a tool of great skill. How often do you think a cowboy goes out and lassos a bull around the waist and just tries to stand there holding it? A smart individual knows to use the lasso with the proper leverage or to rope together legs or a leg to an arm thus binding a foe in a position where they cannot just "pull the other end of the rope". Used properly Diana's speed and skill should have her binding her foes in an eye blink in a fashion where their physical strength makes no difference. Marston did this quiet often (sexual,subtext aside, it was effective)

image.jpg
    yeah its an unconventional choice of weapon which makes it unique and thats what makes wonder woman's character so great in the same way thor has his hammer and cap has his shield she has her lasso and the writers need to do some research as to understand how to best utilize such a device

Extraordinary Member

Hello?

Can somebody PLEASE tell me if this thread is actually discussing issue 49 - which as far as I know is not supposed to be released until the 30th of March.

If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Hello?

Can somebody PLEASE tell me if this thread is actually discussing issue 49 - which as far as I know is not supposed to be released until the 30th of March.

no. it is JL 48 discussion

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    no. it is JL 48 discussion
    Thanks

In that case it is obviously awesome how even with the world ending around her Diana notices that Steve is missing