View Poll Results: Which has the better roster: MVC2 or UMVC3?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marvel vs Capcom 2

2 22.22%
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

7 77.78%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The only characters from MvC2 I really missed were Captain Commando, Jin, Gambit and Cable. I'm not crazy over every character in MvC3 but they have enough good choices in there to push it over MvC2 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CIA View Post
    Sure, bro.
    I like how you disregard what he said as if starting the match with a free super meter is an opinion that can be argued.

In a way, it's kind of impressive.
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 02-26-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    I like how you disregard what he said as if starting the match with a free super meter is an opinion that can be argued.

In a way, it's kind of impressive.
    Actually it was about the second part of the sentence.

Anyway, my opinion about MvC1 and 2 didn't change with the arguments presented in this thread and looks like the opinion of the users that prefer MvC2 will not change too, so I'll not extend the off-topic discussion anymore.
    Songbird Appreciation Thread

Support Flintstones & Future Quest.

BANNED

LOLs. Come on guys, don't be strong.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Marvel vs Capcom is the most broken of the Marvel vs Capcom games.
    I'll say that X-Men vs Street Fighter is the most broken game in the series. Everyone has infinites that are incredibly easy to do. Though that gives the game a lot of it's charm. It never got stupid like MvC1.

Fantastic Member

I felt the UMVC3 roster was much more creative and had more thought put it into than the majority of the fanmade rosters I've seen and the MVC2 roster which was simply just the previous Capcom vs games put in one plus some extras. In MVC2, out of the 28 Marvel characters, only 10 of them weren't from X-men and on the Capcom side, we had 12 Street Fighters, 4 Darkstalkers and 4 Mega Man characters. That's over half the Capcom side being repped by just those three franchises.

In UMVC3, several different corners of the MU are in and more Capcom franchises are repped. It actually felt more of a MVC game. The main thing I felt was missing was a Mega Man incarnation. But that's mainly due to poor choices by Niitsuma.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KCJ506 View Post
    I felt the UMVC3 roster was much more creative and had more thought put it into than the majority of the fanmade rosters I've seen and the MVC2 roster which was simply just the previous Capcom vs games put in one plus some extras. In MVC2, out of the 28 Marvel characters, only 10 of them weren't from X-men and on the Capcom side, we had 12 Street Fighters, 4 Darkstalkers and 4 Mega Man characters. That's over half the Capcom side being repped by just those three franchises.

In UMVC3, several different corners of the MU are in and more Capcom franchises are repped. It actually felt more of a MVC game. The main thing I felt was missing was a Mega Man incarnation. But that's mainly due to poor choices by Niitsuma.
    More creative, I'd say yes but there was more fun in MVC2.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I'll say that X-Men vs Street Fighter is the most broken game in the series. Everyone has infinites that are incredibly easy to do. Though that gives the game a lot of it's charm. It never got stupid like MvC1.
    That one was probably the most fun of those type of VS games until MvC2. But I meant just of the games titled Marvel vs Capcom.

BANNED

Most fan rosters suck. The video game people just want '90s characters, (mostly X-Men, and most those that already showed up in a fight game) and the comic book people want a bunch a new characters no one gives a shit about...as well as not thinking of gameplay possibilities.

I'm not so such how creative the MVC3 roster got, the Marvel side had everyone from my guessed/wished list roster beside some weird choices like Devil Dinosaur and Brother Voodoo. And the Capcom side was just about everyone I thought it would be, even a RE5 Jill that plays like Cammy.

Well, the X-Men were massively more popular than anything else Marvel had at the time, and most of the Marvel cast comes from a game of just exclusively X-Men characters. But Marvel vs Capcom 3 never gets as weird as some of those original cast choices did. They almost didn't even get to put Shuma-Gorath back in. You also don't get anyone with as cool of animations as Venom and Blackheart in 3

MvC3 basically just feels like Street Fighters, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 5, and Darkstalkers. There's a few more series that get one rep, but until Ultimate came around that Capcom side had less characters from different series than MvC2. The Marvel side was basically the same deal, only it had more Avengers, less X-Men, no Spider-Man villain, Dormammu for Blackheart, and one more Fantastic Four villain. Until Ultimate came around the Marvel side didn't even have one character repping the cosmic side of things...yeah, I know, Super-Skrull is a space guy, but he's more FF; and you couldn't even use Shuma-Gorath unless you pay extra for him, so he isn't someone you can use right out of the box.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CIA View Post
    Nice joke.
    The game has worse balance problems than MvC2, and MvC2 has pretty bad balance problems. You just don't hear about it as much because Clash of Heroes wasn't played like MvC2 was.

My bad, I forgot that Gambit was in XvsSF, that would put it into an equal 50% old and 50% new ratio. MvC3 newcomer balance is very good despite some bad additions, even counting the ported characters from TvC. MvC2 ratio of new to old characters is as bad as the rest of the game.
    There aren't any ported characters from Tatsunoko. If they were just reusing those character models, the Capcom sided in MvC3 would have also had Mega Man Volnutt, Alex, Batsu, Roll, PTX-40A, Saki Omokane, and Kaijin no Soki.

It doesn't matter if the ratio of new to old in Marvel vs Capcom 2 isn't as good as Marvel vs Capcom. Marvel vs Capcom 2 is still a game with a many new characters as MvC on just the Capcom side of the cast, it still has more new characters than MvC. If just the Capcom side in Marvel vs Capcom had as many new characters as the second game, everyone on that side would have been new besides Ryu.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    I'm not so such how creative the MVC3 roster got, the Marvel side had everyone from my guessed/wished list roster beside some weird choices like Devil Dinosaur and Brother Voodoo. And the Capcom side was just about everyone I thought it would be, even a RE5 Jill that plays like Cammy.
    Eh, I doubt many people were asking for nor expecting characters such as Dormammu, Taskmaster, X-23, Trish, Spencer and especially not MODOK, Nova or Rocket Raccoon.

And I think having Phoenix Wright was pretty much a creative choice. Even though he was heavily requested, some people who apparently take the Capcom vs games a bit too seriously were pretty adamant about him not getting since "he's not really a fighter". The reason his fanbase were even requesting him in the first was because he was initially gonna be in TVC(along with another Ace Attorney character), but there were issues with moveset so he was taken out.

Well, the X-Men were massively more popular than anything else Marvel had at the time, and most of the Marvel cast comes from a game of just exclusively X-Men characters.
    True, but there are people that seem to still be stuck in the 90s and if they had their way, pretty much every MVC game would be chock full of X-men. If by some slim chance there's ever a MVC4, Capcom most likely wouldn't have much control over the Marvel side just like in MVC3. The majority of the Marvel side would be picked due to some kind of promotion. Most likely who will be making an appearance in the MCU. Which was one of the reasons Rocket Raccoon made it in UMVC3. And due to Guardians' huge success, we shouldn't be too surprised if MVC4 has Star-Lord and Groot in.

The Marvel side was basically the same deal, only it had more Avengers

Thing is, just about every Marvel hero has been apart of the Avengers at some point. But they have all started in their own titles and have consistently supported their own titles. They're not just considered "Avengers characters". Wolverine is more famous for being an X-Man and was an X-Man a lot longer than several of the Avengers were Avengers. When people think of Spider-Man, does "Avenger" immediately come to mind?

I think the only Marvel characters in UMVC3 that should count as Avengers reps are Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye and I guess MODOK.

There aren't any ported characters from Tatsunoko. If they were just reusing those character models, the Capcom sided in MvC3 would have also had Mega Man Volnutt, Alex, Batsu, Roll, PTX-40A, Saki Omokane, and Kaijin no Soki.

This is also true as well. Both games were made on different engines. So they couldn't port them. Especially not Frank West who played almost completely different from how he did in TVC.
    Last edited by KCJ506; 02-28-2016 at 10:03 PM.

BANNED

Eh, I doubt many people were asking for nor expecting characters such as Dormammu, Taskmaster, X-23, Trish, Spencer and especially not MODOK, Nova or Rocket Raccoon.
    I didn't say many people, I said I guessed basically every characters that was going to be in it. It wasn't too hard especially on the Marvel side. MODOK is the "oddball" choice, but as far as oddballs go, an Avengers villain that shows up in cartoons and presents interesting gameplay possibilities isn't that strange. Guardians of the Galaxy was being talked about publicly in 2010, and if anyone was showing up from that cast of characters then, it was Rocket Raccoon. Spencer is a Capcom legacy character that had three new games around the time development was starting on the game. Trish is one of the bigger characters in one of Capcom's biggest series. X-23 was a character a lot of people were asking for. The only real surprise is Taskmaster. Only maybe it really shouldn't be all that much of a surprise that Capcom was aware of a character who showed up in Udon comics.

And I think having Phoenix Wright was pretty much a creative choice. Even though he was heavily requested, some people who apparently take the Capcom vs games a bit too seriously were pretty adamant about him not getting since "he's not really a fighter". The reason his fanbase were even requesting him in the first was because he was initially gonna be in TVC(along with another Ace Attorney character), but there were issues with moveset so he was taken out.
    Wright was one of the Capcom characters Capcom fans wanted to see most. People were requesting him before we found out who didn't make it into Tatsunoko. Now, he plays in a creative way, but Capcom putting a much loved Capcom character who's the star of a series they're still making isn't really some crazy stretch.

True, but there are people that seem to still be stuck in the 90s and if they had their way, pretty much every MVC game would be chock full of X-men. If by some slim chance there's ever a MVC4, Capcom most likely wouldn't have much control over the Marvel side just like in MVC3. The majority of the Marvel side would be picked due to some kind of promotion. Most likely who will be making an appearance in the MCU. Which was one of the reasons Rocket Raccoon made it in UMVC3. And due to Guardians' huge success, we shouldn't be too surprised if MVC4 has Star-Lord and Groot in.
    Well, the '90s are when people were actually still reading comics. Marvel tv shows were also actually on networks people watched then, and those shows were for X-Men and Spider-Man...so most people want characters from those two things. Now that the movies are bigger people want those characters plus some of the movie guys.

BANNED

I think UMVC3 could have been unquestionably be considered the greatest fighting game only if it continued selling DLC characters.

I imagine if they have given us 5 more Capcom and 5 more Marvel characters

Capcom:
    Mega Man X
    Captain Commando
    Gene (God Hand)
    Ingrid (StreetFighter)
    Bulleta (Darkstalkers)

Marvel:
    Venom
    Rogue
    Cyclops
    Scarlet Witch
    Black Panther

Marvel:

Fantastic Member

If they were to add about twelve more characters back then after UMVC3 came out, these would be my choices

Marvel

Green Goblin
    Loki
    Thanos
    Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel
    Black Panther
    Moon Knight

Capcom

Mega Man(either Classic or X)
    Roll(TVC moveset)
    Captain Commando
    Jin
    Gene
    Jon Talbain

BANNED

If they were to add about twelve more characters back then after UMVC3 came out, these would be my choices

Marvel

Green Goblin
    Loki
    Thanos
    Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel
    Black Panther
    Moon Knight

Capcom

Mega Man(either Classic or X)
    Roll(TVC moveset)
    Captain Commando
    Jin
    Gene
    Jon Talbain

Since you gave 6 for each company, my 6th Capcom character would be Date Masamune will be Daredevil

BANNED

If I was adding six new characters, I guess it would be:

MARVEL

• Black Panther - Could basically be Gambit plus.
    • Punisher - Could be a Rolento type character plus guns. Moves based on images from the comics could be things like an anti-air where he's kneeing back and shooting up at an angle, his Spider-Man cover where he Spider-Man in his sights, polar bear punch, the steamroller, and an izuna drop

Could also have a counter-attack where he grabs his opponent, and a big breasted Russian comes out and punches them. Could have a nuke super.
    • Legion
    • Mr. Fantastic/Fantastic Four - You play as Mr. Fantastic, and can call the other three out to do things like Captain Commando does with the Commando Team. Easy way to have the whole team in the game, they're only taking up on slot, and you could use them all at once a 3v3 game.
    • Devil Dinosaur - Because this type of game should have a big red T-Rex with a monkey boy on his back as one of the strong power type characters. The Marvel side should also have a animal type of character like the Capcom side has. But if it doesn't look like the Kirby version I wouldn't even want to see it, Devil Dinosaur in the post Jurassic Park style of dinosaur is so boring.

I guess Loki should be there. And it is weird he wasn't in the game given this whole post-MCU world in regard to the Marvel characters. And he could easily play as a Chizuru Kagura style character given his whole illusions power set.

CAPCOM

• Gene
    • Mega Man - only one based on attacks he has in the first two or three Mega Man games, as opposed to the Mega Man 8 version found in MvC2. So you get stuff like Gutman's rock throw, but his soccer ball attack is gone.
    • Captain Commando
    • Oichi
    • Jin Saotome
    • Rouge

It is too bad MvC3 wasn't a game Capcom was allowed to just keep adding characters to since its release. There's a lot more characters it would have been cool to see in there, and 2011 - 2015 is a lot of time to add a lot more. Most everyone that had a Heroes and Heralds card would have been cool as playable characters.