BANNED

Default Wanting to learn more about Master Jailer

I always had a thing for obscure DC villains. Monday's episode of Supergirl featured a villain called Master Jailer. Honestly, I liked everything about him: His look, his powers, gadgets, etc...Are there any storylines that focus on him as the main villain? Your help would be appreciated.

Retired

Carl Draper, the Master Jailer, is first featured during the Martin Pasko run of SUPERMAN, in the late '70s--one of my favourite runs. Draper grew up in Smallville along with Clark Kent and Lana Lang. After being featured in SUPERMAN, Draper shows up as a teen in THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERBOY (the early '80s comic).

Draper is re-introduced in the '90s as the Master Jailer, in the Dead Again arc, and he appears in various DC comics over the years (along with his daughter) after that. But I prefer the version of the Master Jailer who has a connection with Clark's past--although in that respect pre-Crisis Carl Draper is more like post-Crisis Kenny Braverman aka Conduit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Carl Draper, the Master Jailer, is first featured during the Martin Pasko run of SUPERMAN, in the late '70s--one of my favourite runs. Draper grew up in Smallville along with Clark Kent and Lana Lang. After being featured in SUPERMAN, Draper shows up as a teen in THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERBOY (the early '80s comic).

Draper is re-introduced in the '90s as the Master Jailer, in the Dead Again arc, and he appears in various DC comics over the years (along with his daughter) after that. But I prefer the version of the Master Jailer who has a connection with Clark's past--although in that respect pre-Crisis Carl Draper is more like post-Crisis Kenny Braverman aka Conduit.

Is the tv version in line with the comic book version?

Retired

I haven't seen the TV show yet (plan to binge watch at some point), but from what I've read online, this Master Jailer isn't really in line with any comic book version.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I thought the Superman issues were okay. #331, #332, and don't rememer #393 that well but apparently that one, too.

It was cool how Superboy and the Superman titles would build up new characters between each other, like Yellow Peri. Thought that would happen with Perez and Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    Not at all. In the comic books Carl Draper aka Master Jailer has always been a human being, an earthling. On the TV show he was an alien, a prison guard assigned to guard the Fort Rozz prisoners, who had taken on the identity of Detective Draper, a police detective with the National City Police Department after Fort Rozz crashed to Earth.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    Origin wise, not at all. However, visually the look and the weapondry on SUPERGIRL is pretty close to the version Geoff Johns introduced during the first chapter of the ENDING BATTLE storyline in 2002. I think that version also popped up once or twice via cameo post INFINITE CRISIS.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

It's been years since I read it but I dug ENDING BATTLE a bunch when it came out in 2002. I'd say check that out.

Not sure how it holds up, but it has great art and I remember it being one of the bigger storyline I was real immersed in at the time.