Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Seriously, based on her first few singles, I would have never expected to see her blow up as much as she has.
    I was with her since Pon De Replay. Also, my wife and I routinely sing Unfaithful when referencing one of her friends that makes habitually sketchy relationship decisions.

So, yeah we've been Rihanna marks since day one. I think we've probably got an Umbrella poster stashed up in the attic.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    I was with her since Pon De Replay. Also, my wife and I routinely sing Unfaithful when referencing one of her friends that makes habitually sketchy relationship decisions.

So, yeah we've been Rihanna marks since day one. I think we've probably got an Umbrella poster stashed up in the attic.
    I used to replay "If It's Loving That You Want" when it first came out over and over. After that I didn't really stick to her music but about two or three years ago I started following some of her singles and they really grew on me. I don't own an album nor am I really that driven to be much I have gotten into her stuff and love the fact that she likes to switch up her style.
    Kickstarter for my comic Is'nana the Were-Spider, Vol 1 and 2!

Horror/fantasy coming of age book about the son of Anansi the Spider seeking for his place in the world.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

That's great news for Rhianna.

I like her music, the collaborative efforts with Eminem being my favorite. I don't feel passionately one way or the other about his solo stuff, but something about the pairing just works beautifully.

I think Rhi Rhi's awesome, so congrats to her.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Pfft! Thirty years from now, people will STILL be talking about the importance of The Beatles to music while Rihanna won't even qualify as an afterthought. In other words, not impressed.
    I know what you mean but isn't it impressive for a lady coming from a less popular country to dominate the US charts?

BANNED

Somebody just told me so i'm going to inform you all as well, I forgot Elvis Presley who has 18 #1s. So there are still 3 musicians that are ahead of Rihanna

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I know what you mean but isn't it impressive for a lady coming from a less popular country to dominate the US charts?
    I can't see how. Milli Vanilli did that.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I don't think it matters what country a performer comes from. Plenty of singers from the U.S. and U.K. crashed and burned and never so much as got a sniff of the Billboard charts. If he, or she is talented, their birthplace is immaterial.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I really disliked "Unfaithful," which I think was the first Rihanna song I paid much attention to. It just seemed so... overwrought.

Which means a few years ago, I was seriously surprised to realize that Rihanna had become one of my favorite performers. I think it was her work with Kanye on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy that compelled me to take another listen, and I'm glad I did. She is seriously talented.

Hard to believe its been over 10 years since "Pon De Replay" came out. Time flies.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon View Post
    The US does not equal the world, you know.

More on-topic, I can't seem to care for her music at all, but good for her.
    I don't like her music very much (can't name more than a few of her tunes off the top of my head). But, I'm pleased for her success. The way her career was going during that Chris Brown thing could have turned her into a joke, but she marched past it, head up, eyes straight, to greater success than he'll ever know.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Well yeah isnt Thriller the most Influential Album of all time.
    No. It's one of the top selling albums of all time (maybe is the top) but it wasn't that influential. To be influential an album must change the course of music and inspire a whole shift in music. Thriller didn't really do any of that whereas an album like Nevermind by Nirvana killed hair metal and ushered in the grunge era of the 90's which made other groups like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden into mega stars. Like those developments or not, they are a hundred times more influential than anything Thriller did in terms of music.

Now you could argue that Michael Jackson and his video's from thriller helped inspire the video age but it was the videos not the music. And I'm not even sure I'd put MJ above a group like Duran Duran who IMO is the group that really deserves the credit for changing videos into mini movies (the video's on their Rio album predate Thriller).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Pfft! Thirty years from now, people will STILL be talking about the importance of The Beatles to music while Rihanna won't even qualify as an afterthought. In other words, not impressed.
    ^This.^

I honestly couldn't name a Rhianna song if my life depended on it. And I'm not sure that I wouldn't rather die than change that.

I doubt most people who listen to her music know or care where she comes from.
    Last edited by kalorama; 02-28-2016 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    No. It's one of the top selling albums of all time (maybe is the top) but it wasn't that influential. To be influential an album must change the course of music and inspire a whole shift in music. Thriller didn't really do any of that whereas an album like Nevermind by Nirvana killed hair metal and ushered in the grunge era of the 90's which made other groups like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden into mega stars. Like those developments or not, they are a hundred times more influential than anything Thriller did in terms of music.

Now you could argue that Michael Jackson and his video's from thriller helped inspire the video age but it was the videos not the music. And I'm not even sure I'd put MJ above a group like Duran Duran who IMO is the group that really deserves the credit for changing videos into mini movies (the video's on their Rio album predate Thriller).

And we can put a few albums from some guys like Bob Dylan and the Beatles ahead on that list.

But as a point that MJ was a more important artist than Rihanna will ever be is on target.

But nice for her, I liked her in Battleship.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    ^This.^

I honestly couldn't name a Rhianna song if my life depended on it. And I'm not sure that I wouldn't rather die than change that.

I doubt most people who listen to her music know or care where she comes from.

My favorite song from Rihanna is "Diamonds"