Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Deadpool" Writers Reveal The One Time They Needed Marvel's Approval

Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese discuss the change they made to a character that Marvel's Kevin Feige had to sign off on

Full article here.

So this certainly lends hope that if she returns in the comics, she will have these new powers that were portrayed in the film.

hmmm... so they have the rights to the "x characters" but have to keep their powers true to the comic...

interesting....
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

very interesting indeed.

Basically they made her Cannonball (without the flying).

so weŽll prolly wonŽt get sam guthrie (over 30 years of publication history) anytime soon, cause he would be too similar in terms of mutant powers?
    bad trade

Quote Originally Posted by A_Nominus View Post

lol. i am getting old and slow
    tyyypppiiiinnnngg

That was probably intentional. They said in earlier drafts that Cannonball was supposed to be the teen X-Man trainee partnered with Colossus but they wrote him out. I would not be surprised if it was just easier to recycle the action scenes they'd planned by giving his powers to another character.

BANNED

Who knows she might develop flight eventually...but yeah interesting there is a limit to how much Fox can change a character without Marvel allowing it.

or maybe they made a deal that marvel can use cannonball for the avengers in the future. who knows

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    so weŽll prolly wonŽt get sam guthrie (over 30 years of publication history) anytime soon, cause he would be too similar in terms of mutant powers?
    bad trade
    I don't think that logic follows... if they want earnest, loyal, Southern Sam Guthrie in their New Mutants or X-Force movies, they aren't going to let a completely different character with slightly similar powers stop them, especially if you consider how many powers in these movies are basically "ambiguous CGI energy." If anything maybe it will just encourage them to capture the uniqueness of Cannonball's comic powers more fully, though I won't start getting my hopes up for that part.

Spectacular Member
    Octavius Core...wishing the doors would open...

Marvel obviously gave their blessing because the character, played by Brianna Hildebrand, uses her explosive powers throughout the film without a trace of her comic counterparts precog powers.
    So Marvel gave approval because the character doesn't use her comic-based powers? Why would that affect their opinion?

BANNED

Pretty much. This makes me wonder if NTW will replace Cannonball in the upcoming New Mutants movie.

Spectacular Member

With this information I feel some horse trading went on to get Marvel's approval for the X-Men tv shows after the FF reboot fiasco. At the very least the cold war between Fox and Marvel is thawing, because it's counter-productive for both studios.

or perhaps they just focus on the other parts of cannonball's power. like flying and invulnerability.