Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "The Flash's" Huge Zoom Reveal, Explained -- Sort Of

Confused by the shocking revelation of Zoom's true identity? This handy guide will help clear things up -- or more likely confuse you further.

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Confused by the shocking revelation of Zoom's true identity? This handy guide will help clear things up -- or more likely confuse you further.

Full article here.
    This was actually a Clickhole article, wasn't it?
    JackTango
    Make something up! State it firmly, even arrogantly! - The John Agar Code of Adventuring Scientists

The Jay Garrick that is actually Patty Spivot that is Zoom confirmed.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Well I figured that Zoom was Hunter Zolomon all along, so i wasn't surprised when the mask came off. I thought that he did the speed image thing to look like Zoom had killed him, until he dumped the body on the floor.

I don't think the man in the mask was Jay, I think he was going to warn them Jay was Zoom. Maybe he's CBS Flash/ John Wesley Shipp since there were 52 breaches. We did see him in the time tunnel.

Actually had me going for a while there

Spectacular Member

I think the explanation is rather simple.

The Jay Garrick from Earth 2 we've gotten to know all season is Zoom. He has to be. Zoom was active on Earth 2 before the breaches opened up.

But, the dead guy who Zoom just killed, my guess is that is Hunter Zoloman from Earth 1.

We know Jay previously found his counterpart. So, what if in order to protect his identity, he recruited the powerless Earth 1 Hunter Zoloman to act as his double/decoy. That way Jay Garrick and Zoom could appear in the same room or in a different place at the same time.

Zoom accidentally kills him. He doesn't care about Earth 1 Hunter Zoloman, but it adds a complication because now Team Flash think that Jay is dead. He can no longer manipulate them, as he was doing throughout the season.

As for The Man In The Iron Mask, my theory is that he is... Jay Garrick. Because all that stuff about Hunter Zoloman being adopted came from Jay/Zoom. What if it was all misdirection? What if "Jay" isn't Jay Garrick at all but Earth 2 Hunter Zoloman posing as Jay Garrick.

I mean, we saw Earth 2 Flash clearly as "Jay" but what if Zoom replaced and the real Jay Garrick early in his career before anyone had gotten a close look at him? What if the real Jay Garrick has been locked up with that iron mask on for years?

The Man In The Iron Mask is probably a speedster. Look out how Barry, Jesse and The Man In The Iron Mask are locked up. Jesse is in a normal cage, but Barry and The Man In The Iron Mask are in special containment cells... lets call them Speed Cages... Barry is in one so he can't vibrate out, so surely the same is true for The Man In The Iron Mask.

As for why he's wearing an iron mask, well, maybe so people who enter the prison don't realize that the real Jay Garrick and Hunter Zoloman look similar enough (but not identical) for Hunter Zoloman/Zoom to impersonate him. From a production standpoint, it also means that they wouldn't need to cast a new actor yet.

The Man In The Iron Mask spells out J-A-Y. Surely the most reasonable explanation for this, is that he's trying to tell Barry and Jesse his name? He's introducing himself. Which is why he becomes so upset when Barry tells him that Jay Garrick is safe on his Earth.

So, that would make three 'Jay Garrick's'. Two who are really Hunter Zoloman and are portrayed by Teddy Sears and a third, the real Jay Garrick, who will be played by someone who has yet to be cast.

Okay, maybe that isn't simple, but it does make sense.
    Last edited by Pauul; 02-25-2016 at 06:37 PM.

Zoom is from Earth 3
    Jay Garrick from earth 2 died last week
    Guy in the iron mask is Ronnie from earth 1 or
    Guy in the iron mask is Eddie Thawne earth 2

The answer is going to be way more simple than what everyone is putting out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauul View Post

The Jay Garrick from Earth 2 we've gotten to know all season is Zoom. He has to be. Zoom was active on Earth 2 before the breaches opened up.

But, the dead guy who Zoom just killed, my guess is that is Hunter Zoloman from Earth 1.

We know Jay previously found his counterpart. So, what if in order to protect his identity, he recruited the powerless Earth 1 Hunter Zoloman to act as his double/decoy. That way Jay Garrick and Zoom could appear in the same room or in a different place at the same time.

Zoom accidentally kills him. He doesn't care about Earth 1 Hunter Zoloman, but it adds a complication because now Team Flash think that Jay is dead. He can no longer manipulate them, as he was doing throughout the season.

As for The Man In The Iron Mask, my theory is that he is... Jay Garrick. Because all that stuff about Hunter Zoloman being adopted came from Jay/Zoom. What if it was all misdirection? What if "Jay" isn't Jay Garrick at all but Earth 2 Hunter Zoloman posing as Jay Garrick.

I mean, we saw Earth 2 Flash clearly as "Jay" but what if Zoom replaced and the real Jay Garrick early in his career before anyone had gotten a close look at him? What if the real Jay Garrick has been locked up with that iron mask on for years?

The Man In The Iron Mask is probably a speedster. Look out how Barry, Jesse and The Man In The Iron Mask are locked up. Jesse is in a normal cage, but Barry and The Man In The Iron Mask are in special containment cells... lets call them Speed Cages... Barry is in one so he can't vibrate out, so surely the same is true for The Man In The Iron Mask.

As for why he's wearing an iron mask, well, maybe so people who enter the prison don't realize that the real Jay Garrick and Hunter Zoloman look similar enough (but not identical) for Hunter Zoloman/Zoom to impersonate him. From a production standpoint, it also means that they wouldn't need to cast a new actor yet.

The Man In The Iron Mask spells out J-A-Y. Surely the most reasonable explanation for this, is that he's trying to tell Barry and Jesse his name? He's introducing himself. Which is why he becomes so upset when Barry tells him that Jay Garrick is safe on his Earth.

So, that would make three 'Jay Garrick's'. Two who are really Hunter Zoloman and are portrayed by Teddy Sears and a third, the real Jay Garrick, who will be played by someone who has yet to be cast.

I like this idea. It would be a cool twist

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tango View Post
    This was actually a Clickhole article, wasn't it?
    I mean, basically But also maybe it's 100% accurate?

...Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    The Jay Garrick that is actually Patty Spivot that is Zoom confirmed.
    I can also confirm this:

tumblr_o2nktd3N461qz9qt7o2_1280.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by thechief View Post
    Well I figured that Zoom was Hunter Zolomon all along, so i wasn't surprised when the mask came off. I thought that he did the speed image thing to look like Zoom had killed him, until he dumped the body on the floor.

I don't think the man in the mask was Jay, I think he was going to warn them Jay was Zoom. Maybe he's CBS Flash/ John Wesley Shipp since there were 52 breaches. We did see him in the time tunnel.
    Okay, to be TOTALLY honest, I think the man in the mask is Eddie. Possibly even Earth-1 Eddie, who shot himself - but got sucked into the breach last season. But also I thought Zoom was Earth-2 Barry, so what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by RonFett View Post
    Actually had me going for a while there
    I do what I can

Quote Originally Posted by Pauul View Post

I could see that! What if - just throwing it out there - Earth-2 Jay Garrick is... Bum bum BUM... Earth-2 Eddie Thawne?

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Zoom is from Earth 3
    Jay Garrick from earth 2 died last week
    Guy in the iron mask is Ronnie from earth 1 or
    Guy in the iron mask is Eddie Thawne earth 2

The answer is going to be way more simple than what everyone is putting out there.
    I don't think it's Ronnie for the simple reason that we saw blonde hair peeking out from under the mask last episode. I think you're right about Eddie, though.

All-New Member

Hi--New here.

Too much thinking going on here (though I like the number 10 choice). The idea that the Jay we have been seeing is sometimes Zoom, sometimes good Jay would be a logistical nightmare for the writers. The answer is more simple, I think. DCTV is picking and choosing what to use from the books and how to use it.

In the books, Barry Allen (pre-Flashpoint, Infinite Crisis, New 52) was a secret twin. His mother and a Mrs Thawne gave birth the same night with the same doc. The Thawne baby died and the guilty doctor splits up the twins, Barry Allen and Malcolm Thawne. The Thawnes a conmen, but also gypsies who have a magical artifact they use on the rubes. Malcolm is not initiated into the use because his parents know he is not a Thawne by blood (they knew their baby died, due to a mistake of the doctor, who was drunk at the time--so while the Allens believe one of their twins died, the Thawnes know the score). Malcolm is angry about this, and when he finds out his origin and looks into Barry, he gets even angrier, as Barry had a great family who loved him (this is pre-Flashpoint after Professor Zoom went back and killed Nora). Eventually, Malcolm learns how to use the talisman and he becomes Cobalt Blue, using a Thawne family artifact--he crackles blue, he hates Barry, he steals speed, among other things. Malcolm Thawne IS the ancestor of Eobard, which means, technically, Eobard is an Allen, and descended from Henry and Nora.

I think the TV Universe has given that "origin story" to their Jay Garrick, hence the Hunter we met having been adopted. Pre-Crisis, there was not Earth 1 Jay or Earth 2 Barry (this may or may not still be the case post New 52, post Convergence, but I have not seen otherwise--the new Earth 2 Jay is shown at the start of his career, as was the original before the end of the golden age, but this Jay is a contemporary of the young heroes--if he met earth 1 heroes now he's be about the same age, not an elder statesman--and his origin has changed from hard water fumes to a gift from the dying god Mercury).

In the TV universe they say E1 and E2 but they are probably like E40 and E41 or something in the multiverse. Wells has sort of referenced that saying "You know, we call this Earth 2). It is all relative.

In the TV versions each Earth has a Barry and a Jay, so that differentiates from the E1 and E2 comic book continuity. Since they are merrily beg, borrowing, and stealing from the rich history, it is not a stretch to have a few earths where not Barry,but Jay was the twin and rather than a Thawne the twin is a Zolomon. (Oh, and note, Zolomon was a cop and friend of the Wally West Flash before he became Zoom--and he is not truly a speedster, he affects time, just like the character played by Chief from BSG--AND Professor Zoom are in NO WAY basically the same characters--their motivation, power, and stories are very different; "Reverse Flash" has been used to name both, as well as a name for The Rival, who is the classic Jay Garrick Flash Reverse Flash. The New 52 introduced a character whose only name is Reverse Flash, and he is a brother of Iris and did not exist until the a reboot or two ago--and is not the father of her nephew Wally "Kid Flash/Flash 3" West.)

In TV Flash (so far) we have 4 men with Jay's face, 2 Jays, 2 Hunters. We have established that often--not always--on these earths one version is a good person, the other often less so. One version got particle accelerator powers, the other (usually--I know VIbe) did not.

Zoom is likely E2 Hunter, Duck-feed Hunter is E1. Masked Man is E2 Jay. Powerless Jay is likely E1, corrupted or tempted by Zoom to have his own powers that he was "cheated" of, hence Velocity use. The delay between the singularity and Jay showing up was when Zoom found him, they did what they could to erase Jay from E1 records.

Now, they may switch who the Jay we know is and etc., but the basic of this break down is the simplest solution in a sea of convolution.
    Last edited by mjg66; 02-26-2016 at 10:56 AM.