Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    The inevitable angry backlash on Tumblr over casting a white actor as Iron Fist has begun. The ironic thing is that these folks think they are being progressive by complaining about the ethnicity of the actor cast in the role but many of them come across as badly as those people that got mad when black actors were cast as Heimdall and Johnny Storm.
    Twitter and social media are stupid and should die. People complaining about casting a white actor as a white character, who they decided should be Asian American for arbitrary reasons. He knows Kung Fu and he was trained in an ancient city in Asia. He should be Asian as a result. Beyond stupid.

I wonder if the complainers have even actually read Iron Fist.

LOL But he can't act...

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    People on tumblr/twitter complaining about him being white really need a slap.

They decided by themselves he should be asian, when they never read the comics, and then are angry their fantasy ideal wasn't met. This is a level of batshit crazy I haven't seen before.
    The same thing happened with Doctor Strange. I saw a lot of angry posts about Doctor Strange having a white actor in the role even though the comic character is white.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurbwhore View Post
    #fistdanstevens
    Stevens is the lead on FX Legion show

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hsieh View Post
    While I know some of them come across badly, surely you're not comparing a character who could be any ethnicity (such as Heimdall/Storm) cast as Black to a character who clearly is inspired by East Asia being cast as Caucasian.
    I'm comparing the reaction not the casting choices.

I trust Marvel to get the casting on these shows right at this point. Wait and see if this is real news, wait and see the show before I judge.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Twitter and social media are stupid and should die.
    Says a dude on a message board.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hsieh View Post
    While I know some of them come across badly, surely you're not comparing a character who could be any ethnicity (such as Heimdall/Storm) cast as Black to a character who clearly is inspired by East Asia being cast as Caucasian.
    Heimdall makes no sense being black. The Asgardians evolved differently to humans, if they even evolved at all, given their magical alien nature. Like alien civilizations, they are excused from having ethnic diversity since there's no conceivable way their world could have it. They are not Earth and their politics shouldn't be like ours.

Storm can't be any ethnicity, she was exclusively made to be African-American or dark African, Arabic.
    Last edited by Vernedi; 02-25-2016 at 02:47 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    LOL But he can't act...
    Neither can Sophie Turner, and she's playing the next Jean Grey.

Firm Militant Judgement.. Moose100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    People on tumblr/twitter complaining about him being white really need a slap.

They decided by themselves he should be asian, when they never read the comics, and then are angry their fantasy ideal wasn't met. This is a level of batshit crazy I haven't seen before.
    Well I don't necessarily want the change either but I wholeheartedly see why some people would. There's very well thought out reasons either way.
    U just mad cuz I'm stylin' on ya'
    Militant Anti-Villain
    I'm out here looking for revenge!!
    Spit Dat Kurt Vonnegut...
    The Ghost Militant...
    Black Panther on one shoulder Nighthawk on the other!!!
    Cognitive Dissonance Disseminator

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Twitter and social media are stupid and should die. People complaining about casting a white actor as a white character, who they decided should be Asian American for arbitrary reasons. He knows Kung Fu and he was trained in an ancient city in Asia. He should be Asian as a result. Beyond stupid.

I wonder if the complainers have even actually read Iron Fist.
    Not really they dont like the Mighty Whitey Issue....ie White dude goes to learn Martial Arts and is somehow better then all the actual Asians that grew up in that culture. I can see the argument especially since you already got Daredevil. Plus u know Marvel having no Asian Heroes or Latin@ Heroes right now also factors in.

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    LOL But he can't act...
    There is that and of course seems a bit young compared to the rest of our heroes and I dont need Iron Fist as the young guy on the block.

BANNED

I just realized when Dean Cain (Asian-American) played Superman in the New Adventures of Lois & Clark, people didn't complain... how odd.

That is why I laugh at the face of those clowns complaining about the Academy Award nominations. They say it's all white people this year... have they forgotten about Iñarritu?

It's like people don't consider Asians and Latinos as "diversity," it has to be a black person to qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernedi View Post
    Perhaps, but experience suggests that the next X-Men movie will focus on Fassbender, McAvoy, and Jennifer Lawrence, all of whom can act. I doubt if it will be a two hour in depth exploration of the personality of Jean Grey.

In contrast, if Finn Jones is the main guy in a Netflix series, then whether or not he is able to act is going to be fairly significant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Not really they dont like the Mighty Whitey Issue....ie White dude goes to learn Martial Arts and is somehow better then all the actual Asians that grew up in that culture. I can see the argument especially since you already got Daredevil. Plus u know Marvel having no Asian Heroes or Latin@ Heroes right now also factors in.

There is that and of course seems a bit young compared to the rest of our heroes and I dont need Iron Fist as the young guy on the block.
    That's why they need to introduce Shang-Chi, Collen Wing and White Tiger.

Likely this will happen by Iron Fist, who has to have Misty and Collen as supporting cast.

BANNED

True also doesnt help she spent a whole season acting against Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Bolton) who is so much better then her its embarassing

Why did people want him to be Asian? Legit question. Was it because he knows karate?

I can honestly think of no other reason.

BANNED

That's why they need to introduce Shang-Chi, Collen Wing and White Tiger.

Likely this will happen by Iron Fist, who has to have Misty and Collen as supporting cast.
    Misty is showing up in Cage so yeah she will be around.

However, I should not there is still a difference between being a sidekick or supporting and the main hero.