Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf1984 View Post
    Even aliens can have different regions on their world. People from the hotter climates might look slightly different from those from the colder regions. Asgard has different regions where developmental variations could occur and the Asgardians do look like humans in every way. We see the "black" Heimdall and "asian" Hogun. Heck, even the Kree have blue and pink colorations.
    I knew of the Kree mutation. However, from what we've seen of Asgard, it's a small world without arid regions. Asgard couldn't even be called a planet due to its shape. Asgardians could have been genetically engineered by another alien species and seeded on that magical floating chunk of rock, not allowing for regional mutations.

With an alien civilization, you have room to show different forms of diversity not exclusive to physical appearance. Otherwise making them the same as Earth humans defeats the purpose.

all the roles go to british actors

Dr strange
    Batman (Bale)
    Superman
    Iron Fist
    Wolverine (aussy, i know)

When will the next Bond or Doctor be played by an American?

just an observation, i love all things british lit/comics/film/history

And I know they are better trained actors, shrug

BANNED

Well sure but making them look like Humans save money.

Eh thanks to Harry Potter most Americans probably expect their Wizards to come with a British Accent
    We have taken back Batman.

Iron Fist its more usually its a good British Actor taking American Jobs not this...
    Last edited by JaggedFel; 02-25-2016 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't think the MCU Asgardians are in any way at all magical or divine. They're space aliens from another dimensions.
    And them having black Asgardians is about as likely as them looking exactly like humans.
    I think it just falls under the category of writers want to write characters people will identify with, and since we're humans, the Asgardians need to look human. Star Wars pretty much does the same thing. Sure there are different alien species, but the majority of that Universe are humans/human looking
    aanoiqxqu0zevqywhztq.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Well sure but making them look like Humans save money.
    Unfortunately. I liked the Ultimate Universe's interpretation of the Kree during Ultimate Secret.

They were a reptilian alien species and Captain Mahr Vehl had to undergo surgery to shapeshift into human form.

That was far more plausible in my opinion. Asgardians should have been portrayed the same way, having a true form their human disguises concealed, akin to Martian Manhunter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kmeyers View Post
    I think it just falls under the category of writers want to write characters people will identify with, and since we're humans, the Asgardians need to look human. Star Wars pretty much does the same thing. Sure there are different alien species, but the majority of that Universe are humans/human looking
    aanoiqxqu0zevqywhztq.jpg
    And that's why I can never take space operas seriously.

Guardians of the Galaxy did the same thing.

It's stupid and lazy.

If Pixar and many animated films can make people identify with a non-humans, why can't the same be true for live action?

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Not really they dont like the Mighty Whitey Issue....ie White dude goes to learn Martial Arts and is somehow better then all the actual Asians that grew up in that culture. I can see the argument especially since you already got Daredevil. Plus u know Marvel having no Asian Heroes or Latin@ Heroes right now also factors in.

There is that and of course seems a bit young compared to the rest of our heroes and I dont need Iron Fist as the young guy on the block.
    Iron Fist in the comics got really good at martial arts because he wanted to get strong enough so that he could hunt down harold meachum and avenger his parents death once K'un Lun returned to the earth plane. Danny plunges his fist into buckets of sand, gravel, and rock to toughen them.

Iron Fist is supposed to be pretty young. He is 19 when he defeats the dragon Shou-Lao the Undying and in his early twenties when he returns to New York. Luke Cage and various other characters call Danny Rand kid a lot in the old Power Man and Iron Fist comics.

Quake (Daisy Johnson) on Agent's Of Shield is Asian and a hero. Hogan the grim in Thor, Agent May and Howling Commando Jim Morita are Asian as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Iron Fist in the comics got really good at martial arts because he wanted to get strong enough so that he could hunt down harold meachum and avenger his parents death once K'un Lun returned to the earth plane. Danny plunges his fist into buckets of sand, gravel, and rock to toughen them.

Iron Fist is supposed to be pretty young. He is 19 when he defeats the dragon Shou-Lao the Undying and in his early twenties when he returns to New York. Luke Cage and various other characters call Danny Rand kid a lot in the old Power Man and Iron Fist comics.

Quake (Daisy Johnson) on Agent's Of Shield is Asian and a hero. Hogan the grim in Thor, Agent May and Howling Commando Jim Morita are Asian as well.
    Quake needs to join the Avengers ASAP. They did predict she would rule the Inhumans in the distant future of MCU continuity.

Also, OUCH on Danny plunging his fists on buckets of sand and rocks.
    Last edited by Vernedi; 02-25-2016 at 03:41 PM.

BANNED

That graph is why I like the comics or animated more where u can get more aliens because it doesnt cost you anything really.

You dont need to explain the motivation for Iron Fist, its still a white guy goes to a Mystical Asian City beats all the actual Asians and gets crowned the Champion. Why he is motivated isnt especially relevant to the point. Just because u like him doesnt make him any less of Mighty Whitey...The actor still seems too young in comparison to me.

Hogan is a minor supporting character. AoS is better although I wouldnt call May or Jim (supporting) as superheroes. Quake counts now I guess but you also gotta note no one considers AoS as anywhere near as good as Netflix Shows. But Quake vs all the solo movies so far plus Hawkeye and Daredevil yeah not sure that balances out.

Extraordinary Member

I was hoping for Charlie Hunnam to be Iron Fist, so Netflix could compete with MCU for having the most actors with similar names (Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt).
    The netflix marvel shows are mcu too,mcu netflix shows.

My Lord, is the debate about Heimdall being played by Idris Elba still going on?

My only quarrel with that casting is that so far the character is a bit of a waste of time in the movies and far beneath Elba's talents

So far as fidelity to the original myths are concerned, from my recollection of the early days of Kirby/Lee Thor Odin was portrayed as having two eyes, which is a rather more significant form of inaccuracy to the myth than the colour of Heimdall's skin. I also found it mystifying that Thor and the rest of the inhabitants of Asgard would speak in pidgin medieval-English.

Neither MCU Thor or Marvel comic Thor bear that much relation to the works of Snorri Sturlison, and therefore it's difficult to mount anything more than bemused indifference to the persistence of this strange complaint.

I agree that Finn failed to make an impression in Game of Thrones, however they must have cast him for some reason. They took their time and must have seen many people, so I've got to believe he was the most viable candidate.

Of course, I guess it's possible they cast him because teenage girls think he's pretty.

BANNED

Well look at Daredevil so i say expect a lot of black in Iron Fist's costume.
    That black costume was 100% comicbook accurate.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That black costume was 100% comicbook accurate.
    Will people please stop assuming I have never read comics.

My point is more look at his S2 costume, it has quite a bit more Black then his comic costume and that is because his bright red costume like at the end of S1 pretty close to his standard comic costume it doesnt work nearly as well in Live Action TV especially when you have good lighting. However, his all black costume looked pretty darn good. So my point is expect lessons learned from Daredevil to be applied here in costumes.

Jessica and Luke can wear whatever they want because they are just going to be rocking normal clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    all the roles go to british actors

Dr strange
    Batman (Bale)
    Superman
    Iron Fist
    Wolverine (aussy, i know)

When will the next Bond or Doctor be played by an American?

just an observation, i love all things british lit/comics/film/history

And I know they are better trained actors, shrug
    Speaking as an Englishman, it is a bit surprising that so many of these roles on TV are taken by British actors. Cumberbatch and Bale are pretty prominent actors, and the role of Superman demands some fairly specific physical characteristics which not that many actors would possess.

But Finn Jones and, say, Charlie Cox are not that famous, and at least in the case of Jones I have to believe that there are a lot of other actors who could bring whatever it is that he will bring to the table.

I guess it's salad times for the British acting community, and they should make the most of it when they can