Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    He didn't make much of an impression on GOT, but that's probably just due to his minimal screentime. I hope he has great chemistry with Mike Colter. After both their shows have a few season, I would love for "Heroes for Hire" Netflix show.
    I'm sure they did a screen test with Mike Colter, to see if they had chemistry together. They did that when casting Kristen Ritter as Jessica Jones.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    In all fairness, it's slightly more rewarding playing a raving psychopath than playing a character who has been consigned by the show-runners to a state of perpetual victimhood, to be passed like a flame-haired parcel from drooling apprentice nutjob Joffrey to full-blown degenerate Ramsay.

That said, although Iwan Rheon has been perfectly competent in his performance, Ramsay has become something of a dull cabaret turn, more a Joker out of Batman than a believable sadistic psychopath, unlike the book original, who was pathetic as well as horrifying.

Honestly, Rheon doesn't give even the second best performance in the Winterfell scenes - he's outshone by both McElhatton as Roose and the perpetually brilliant Alfie Allen as Theon.
    Yeah well Roose is played by a Vet...I like to stick comparing the other young talent to other young talent. I actually am not as impressed by Alfie but they still beat Turner. Maybe if she was a better actress she get more to do. I mean you are celebrating Alfie who also plays a victim so cant see how being a victim alone is an excuse for shoddy acting.

He is too pretty!
    Nah, i dont care. But he better work out, i dont want the Iron Fist costume to be fully covering leather jacket and pants.
    I want to see some CHEST!
    At least some super tight spandex.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Yeah well Roose is played by a Vet...I like to stick comparing the other young talent to other young talent. I actually am not as impressed by Alfie but they still beat Turner. Maybe if she was a better actress she get more to do. I mean you are celebrating Alfie who also plays a victim so cant see how being a victim alone is an excuse for shoddy acting.
    Alfie had a story arc. He was a friend of Robb, disregarded by his family, achieved initial but doomed success through treachery, was broken by torture, reduced to a servile semi-human state, and regained some humanity in the last series.

In contrast, Sophie has spent several series being menaced and victimised by Joffrey, before being sprung by Littlefinger... and sent to Winterfell to spend another series being menaced and victimised by Ramsay It's the epitome of a flat character journey, and its got very stale.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    He is too pretty!
    Nah, i dont care. But he better work out, i dont want the Iron Fist costume to be fully covering leather jacket and pants.
    He looks better with facial hair. He just needs some scruft and make his hair shaggier.

I'm wondering if they're going to go the track suit route.

Quote Originally Posted by graffiX View Post
    Why did people want him to be Asian? Legit question. Was it because he knows karate?

I can honestly think of no other reason.
    Much in the way that if there's a radioactive spider that's going to grant a kid in the 1960s super powers that the kid is white or a rich kid in America who is just brilliant enough to design a super powered armour in the 70s who is white, it kind of makes sense that an Asian person be the best martial artist that goes to a fictional, mystical city in an Asian country.

If I'm writing a story about a mutant in Russia, I am definitely not going to make that mutant a black person or an middle-eastern person, even today, because when I think of a Russian, I think of white guy. If I'm writing a story about some political figure in Africa, I'm not going to make that person white or asian, because when I think of Africa, I think black people.

So, if I'm going to write a fictional story about a person who is so good at martial arts and just ends up becoming the most important person in a mystical city, the obvious answer is that it's an asian person. Call it stereotyping or being too obvious, but it just makes the most sense to me.

However, I should clarify that I wanted the person who was cast as Iron Fist to be a white person. I was just offering an opinion as to why someone might have wanted Iron Fist to be asian.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

i think he's a very good choice for danny. and now we have another GOT alumni crossing over into marvel territory.

my only hope is that now we start seeing some signs of the immortal weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernedi View Post
    Heimdall makes no sense being black. The Asgardians evolved differently to humans, if they even evolved at all, given their magical alien nature. Like alien civilizations, they are excused from having ethnic diversity since there's no conceivable way their world could have it. They are not Earth and their politics shouldn't be like ours.
    Even aliens can have different regions on their world. People from the hotter climates might look slightly different from those from the colder regions. Asgard has different regions where developmental variations could occur and the Asgardians do look like humans in every way. We see the "black" Heimdall and "asian" Hogun. Heck, even the Kree have blue and pink colorations.

I'm a bit relieved the "let's cast an asian american" crowd didnt win out , if true . Iron fist really need that "fish out of the water" aspect when it comes to his first forray with Kunlun . Sure it's possible with an american of asian origin , but leaves it open to extra pointless hurdles and work , to explain or assert why he'd have no cultural ties whatsoever with the asian culture melting pot of the city .

Just have instead a support cast that stand out and might shine enough to get their own series or central place among the netflix series , like Shang Chi or new cool asian characters

Quote Originally Posted by graffiX View Post
    Yep, exactly my point.

Did the people who wanted an Asian actor for this role not see this?
    It was just in hopes of avoiding another Mighty Whitey character. It has nothing to do with him knowing Kung-Fu. (not Karate)
    Last edited by Joker; 02-25-2016 at 03:29 PM.

Casting an Asian to play Iron Fist is more racist than casting a white guy. Ironically. XD lol
    Yeah. Asian people would complain about yet another stereotypical mystical Asian character who MUST know kung-fu.

BANNED

Heimdall makes no sense being black. The Asgardians evolved differently to humans, if they even evolved at all, given their magical alien nature. Like alien civilizations, they are excused from having ethnic diversity since there's no conceivable way their world could have it. They are not Earth and their politics shouldn't be like ours.

Storm can't be any ethnicity, she was exclusively made to be African-American or dark African, Arabic.
    I don't think the MCU Asgardians are in any way at all magical or divine. They're space aliens from another dimensions.
    And them having black Asgardians is about as likely as them looking exactly like humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    He is too pretty!
    Even Daredevil gets to show some CHEST. It's requisite for male action stars these days.
    Probably won't do so while out fighting crime/other misceants though.

I'm thinking it'll be something like this:

But with a different kind of headgear or mask, because you can't make real fabric act like that, and making a sculpted silk mask would look very daft, I think.

BANNED

Well look at Daredevil so i say expect a lot of black in Iron Fist's costume

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    It was just in hopes of avoiding another Magical Whitey character. It has nothing to do with him knowing Kung-Fu. (not Karate)
    Mighty Whitey not Magical Whitey...I think your mixing up your tropes ie Mighty Whitey and Magical Negro.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post

So, if I'm going to write a fictional story about a person who is so good at martial arts and just ends up becoming the most important person in a mystical city, the obvious answer is that it's an asian person. Call it stereotyping or being too obvious, but it just makes the most sense to me.

However, I should clarify that I wanted the person who was cast as Iron Fist to be a white person. I was just offering an opinion as to why someone might have wanted Iron Fist to be asian.
    Except one huge important detail . Danny is an outsider and probably initially treated as an outcast , then bullied out of jealousy for his skills or any kind of special attention towards him , not a local kid becoming their heroes . in Tv dramas it's obvious they would lay it quite heavily and thick during flashback sequences about the training and his life over there . Or whenever he goes back there .

People need to think the Last Samurai featuring tom cruise as the stranger growing into a culture and way of life , not yet another regular samurai flick .

You can have that with an asian character , but seems like it would be less of an hassle to directly convey with a white or black one . The culture shock effect is just stronger and more obvious
    Last edited by Zarathos; 02-25-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathos View Post
    Except one huge important detail . Danny is an outsider and probably intiially treated as an outcast , not a local kid becoming their heroes . in Tv dramas it's obvious they lay it quite heavily during flashback sequences about the training and his life over there . Or whenever he goes back there .

People need to think the Last Samurai featuring tom cruise as the stranger growing into a culture and way of life , not yet another regular samurai flick .
    That's a Mighty Whitey to a T, and it's a tired, largely racist trope. The Last Samurai is what people want to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Mighty Whitey not Magical Whitey...I think your mixing up your tropes ie Mighty Whitey and Magical Negro.
    You are correct. Edited.
    Last edited by Joker; 02-25-2016 at 03:32 PM.