Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

I love this casting. The actor has vanished from social media, so I assume he's getting his ass kicked in the gym and martial arts training?

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    This is the first Netflix casting I'm not sold on. He really doesn't display much acting ability in GOT. I was hoping for someone like Dan Stevens (though obviously he has that pilot at FX).
    That's because his character has largely been scaled back and dumped into a stereotype, there are a few deleted scenes that give Jones actual stuff to do, but obviously they're deleted scenes :P

I've only watched season 1 of Game Of Thrones and either haven't seen him or just don't remember enough to remember him. The crucial thing with Marvel and Netflix is that they seem to have a group of people who love the character and pair them with great casting people. It's working amazingly well so far. Luke Cage was arguably the most difficult to cast with his mix of anger and self righteousness and they got it perfectly. That's not even mentioning DD and Jessica Jones and their casts.

Mighty Member

I gotta say.. that casting is pretty perfect!!!

Spectacular Member

Blond him up a touch and I can definitely see him as Danny Rand. I hope that they play up the Eternal City as being otherworldly and alien.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I am curious to see how Iron Fist will look in the show. His classic costume is just awful looking, IMO. I was ok with the look Marvel game him during the Brubaker-Fraction run, but I hope they do something more creative and cool looking for the show.

I'm sick of segmented-armoured looking characters in comic book movies and TV shows.
    I have a feeling they'll put Danny in something along the lines of what Elektra is wearing - slightly modified street clothes. I wouldn't be surprised if we get an action sequence where he happens to be wearing a gi though I do hope they put Danny in a mask though (although not yellow - I kinda doubt that would work...)

If they do that, DD is gonna stand out like a sore thumb next to the other Defenders though...

I'm more interested to see how they develop his chest "tattoo." Will it be a tattoo, will it look like a brand, (assuming they go with the "pressing your chest against a dragon origin, which I'm kinda doubtful they'll do) or will he not even have it at all??
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-25-2016 at 07:41 PM.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

People on tumblr/twitter complaining about him being white really need a slap.

They decided by themselves he should be asian, when they never read the comics, and then are angry their fantasy ideal wasn't met. This is a level of batshit crazy I haven't seen before.

Spectacular Member

Meh. Let's just hope he gets the part right.

BANNED

YES! I was hoping for Charlie Hunnam to be cast, but this will do.

I'm glad they didn't cast a black guy or an Asian in the role. Keep it closer to the source material.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timbales View Post
    Blond him up a touch and I can definitely see him as Danny Rand. I hope that they play up the Eternal City as being otherworldly and alien.
    YES! **snail high fives you**

The Iron Fist origin and K'un-L'un are some of the greatest settings in MU. They better honor them!

It's difficult to know whether or not he's any good as an actor from Game of Thrones, because he hasn't been given a great deal to do, and what he has been given to do hasn't been best designed to show case his talents. Slightly mystifyingly, the show-writers decided that Loras Tyrell would be slightly maladroit, easily seduced, and not particularly bright.

Those are not things that can be held against Finn Jones of course He may be a good actor for all I know, but I can't see from his Game of Thrones that anyone has cause to be particularly excited - or, given his absence of opportunities to shine, particularly dismayed.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    People on tumblr/twitter complaining about him being white really need a slap.

They decided by themselves he should be asian, when they never read the comics, and then are angry their fantasy ideal wasn't met. This is a level of batshit crazy I haven't seen before.
    I can kind of understand that though... It's so, so much harder for non-white actors in the movie and TV business, it's not even funny... But I also have a feeling if Marvel had cast an Asian actor, there might have been the "oh, a martial artist Asian dude, well, that's kind of racist typecasting" being an issue. Not to mention the equally misplaced "fanboy" rage "OMG, Iron Fist is not blond!!!". This was a casting situation, imo, that would have evoked an outcry on social media no matter what Marvel did.

I was really good either way (white or Asian actor) and I really like the casting choice Marvel made !

First.
    Srsly, Marvel Netflix batting average is too high to find issue with at this point.

Can't believe I'm going to see a live action Danny Rand.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

All-New Member

#fistdanstevens

Wow, never tought of that. Don't know what to think really, but I trust Marvel's casting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    I've only watched season 1 of Game Of Thrones and either haven't seen him or just don't remember enough to remember him. The crucial thing with Marvel and Netflix is that they seem to have a group of people who love the character and pair them with great casting people. It's working amazingly well so far. Luke Cage was arguably the most difficult to cast with his mix of anger and self righteousness and they got it perfectly. That's not even mentioning DD and Jessica Jones and their casts.
    In season 1 he was there giving flowers to Jean Grey And then doing stuff like shaving and blowjobs.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    The inevitable angry backlash on Tumblr over casting a white actor as Iron Fist has begun. The ironic thing is that these folks think they are being progressive by complaining about the ethnicity of the actor cast in the role but many of them come across as badly as those people that got mad when black actors were cast as Heimdall and Johnny Storm.
    While I know some of them come across badly, surely you're not comparing a character who could be any ethnicity (such as Heimdall/Storm) cast as Black to a character who clearly is inspired by East Asia being cast as Caucasian.