Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Default Best/Worst Revamps

What are some of the best and worst revamps of x-characters, for you? Who got brought back bigger and stronger, or dumber, or weirder, or in a flashy new costume with a green skirt and a yellow mask and it just rocked you? Who got a new spotlight shone on them and they just looked like crap?

Warren Ellis' compassionate emergency and rescue squad version of Excalibur was a fun, positive spin, but they also looked hella good. The costumes were generally flashier versions of classic looks, giving it enough of a sentimental tether while still feeling fresh in the mid-90s. And, Pete's costume that wasn't a superhero costume and having fun with Moira's tendency to unitards and lab coats for all occasions only helped ground the less-than-functional flare of the superhero costumes by comparison and with stability.

Soldier X was a development a long time in the making for Cable, the un-cable-ing of him post his victory in his big personal war with Apocalypse, and the renaming of his title and his role went a long way to making him seem newly relevant and intriguing.

Xorn as a person who wasn't just Magneto in a costume, doing a funny voice with his powers, and Xorn's relative, the other Xorn... is such an unnecessary mess that neither Xorn-who-isn't-Magneto becomes not just disinteresting to me, but antagonistically anti-interesting. Interest-killing in the inanity and inexplicableness.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

"Counter-X" Nate Grey.

Easily the best thing that the X-Men corner of the Marvel universe has ever put forward.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    "Counter-X" Nate Grey.

Easily the best thing that the X-Men corner of the Marvel universe has ever put forward.
    That was an insanely good revamp. I'm not against pre-Counter Nate, but I can't actually read the comics and enjoy them. Doomed barefoot coat guy who cares about all of us... that was good stuff.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    That was an insanely good revamp. I'm not against pre-Counter Nate, but I can't actually read the comics and enjoy them. Doomed barefoot coat guy who cares about all of us... that was good stuff.
    Just the new expansions of the "Psi" section of mutant powers...

For starters.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

I liked Ellis's Excalibur though I thought that Counter-X X-Force was one of the worst ever:

As far as best revamps go, I'd say Milligan and Allred's X-Force and X-Statix is one

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

All the things you guys are mentioniong...

Soldier X, late X-Man, late X-Force/X-Statix...

DIdn't they all do insanely terrible in terms of sales?

I mean it seems like you guys are kind of making the point that the reason we "cant have nice things" is not enough folks out there appreciate them, at least during the time
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

X-Statix sales were moderate but declined towards the end. They were critically acclaimed and have done well as collected editions - enough to warrant its own Omnibus too.

I think late-X-Man actually rose in sales from where the book had just been at. But, the Milligan/Allred X-Force/Statix has stayed in print consistently enough, in one form or another, I have to assume sales weren't horrible, in addition to it being a critical darling and good loss-leader.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlad View Post
    Counter-X X-Force was one of the worst ever
    As a superhero comic, I could probably agree. As a comedy spy book, though, I find it decadently funny and wicked. The new costumes were seventy-thousand gallons of trying too hard in a six gallon bucket. Trying-to-hard just spilling all over the floor.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Best
    1. Sunfire containment see thru costume
    2. Regular Warren to Archangel
    3. Penance-Monet-M twins body swapping

Worst
    1. Phoenix Force recanon AvX
    2. Havok and Sabertooth Inversion
    3. Rouge losing powers and boring black X costumes trying to match movie U

The X-Force version of Mimic has a strange appeal for me.

And, Magneto in suits

but, when they stopped drawing Mags with his eyes popped, that was a bad move. I want to see him try to convince people he's reformed and compassionate and moving forward as a non-supervillain while his eye sare bugging out like Judge Doom.

1. Emma Frost - from washed-up corset-wearing dominatrix to distrusted teacher to hilariously petty primadonna

2. Boom Boom - From Tabby to "Taby", I loved Millar's trashy take on the character. I loved her in X-Terminators, but the whole Meltdown thing was a lame attempt at differentiating her from Jubilee. NextWave took the fun of the character and amped it up into something utterly ridiculous. She has her own lane now thanks to this series.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

A couple of the best, to me, are road trip era X-Force as drawn by Pollina, and PAD's revamp of X-Factor as a detective agency. In particular his rehab of Shatterstar was impressive. I may disagree with the man about many things, but his writing really appeals to me.

The worst, but not really, although I enjoyed his original redemption arc in the 80s, Magneto should never be an X-Man.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    A couple of the best, to me, are road trip era X-Force as drawn by Pollina, and PAD's revamp of X-Factor as a detective agency. In particular his rehab of Shatterstar was impressive. I may disagree with the man about many things, but his writing really appeals to me.

The worst, but not really, although I enjoyed his original redemption arc in the 80s, Magneto should never be an X-Man.
    Peter David's X-Factor is a very good call for a good revamp
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Peter David's X-Factor is a very good call for a good revamp
    Pretty much anything PAD revamps is good then?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post

Good point about PAD's X-Factor/Shatterstar. That's an impressive feat.