Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default List of top current Marvel artists?

My search-fu failed me, so I figured I would ask here: where can I find some good lists of the top current artists (penciller/penciller-inker) currently working for Marvel? I wouldn't mind a thread where people name the people they think qualify, but I'd like to see some "official lists," too. Yes, I know these things are subjective and there's not really such a thing as an "official list"; please don't respond if you want to discuss that, start your own thread.

Thanks in advance.

websites haven't made any recent ones,

Marvel young guns, was a promotion for marvels rising artists.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/22363/...new_young_guns

here are my current tops

Steve Mcniven
    Frank Cho
    Olivier Copiel
    David Marquez
    Sara Pichelli
    Valerio Schiti
    Andrea sorrentino

of course most of these do about 6-8 issues per year, IF WE ARE LUCKY

My favorites working for Marvel:

Mike Deodato: Invincible Iron Man
    Olivier Coipel: Upcoming Civil War #0
    Chris Samnee: Black Widow
    Carlos Pacheco: Uncanny Avengers
    Alan Davis: Upcoming FCD Avengers
    Roland Boschi: Karnak fill in artist
    Chris Bachalo: Doctor Strange
    Leinil Yu: Star Wars
    Daniel Acuna: Captain America
    David Aja: ???
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Gerardo Sandoval is really underrated. His art is dynamic, stylish, and his layout is really good presentation of the scene cut.
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

Ultimate Member

Don't know how many are current (or misspelled)...

Sara Pichelli
    Jerome Opena
    Oliver Coipel
    Stuart Immonen
    Esad Ribic
    Terry Dodson

Carmine Di Giandomencio
    Frank Cho
    Andrea Sorrentino
    Adrian Alphona
    Humberto Ramos
    Chris Bachalo

Mike Deodato
    Alti Firmansyah
    David Marquez
    David Lafuente Garcia
    Yannick Paquette
    Carlo Barberi
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-25-2016 at 03:55 PM.

Let's see...

Mike Del Mundo
    Mike Del Mundo
    Mike Del Mundo
    Am I forgetting anyone? Oh yeah.
    Mike Del Mundo
    My pull list
    A-Force, All-New Inhuman, All-New All-Different Avengers, Captain America: Sam Wilson, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, New Avengers, The Ultimates, and Weirdworld.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Esad Ribic
    Mike Deodato
    Kenneth Rocafort
    Frank Cho
    Russell Dauterman
    Ariel Olivetti
    Daniel Acuna

Amazing Member

Thanks for the replies Nick, Winterboy, Its, Aja, Marvelous, and Ken (and for the link Nick)! I really appreciate it. Keep them coming! I'm interested not just because I haven't looked in on comics in a while and want stuff for my own edification; I also want to know who's popular, even if they're not to my taste (so a bigger sample size is better).

of course most of these do about 6-8 issues per year, IF WE ARE LUCKY
    Yeah I thought about qualifying it to people who are relatively consistent, but decided against; I want the best.

I noticed that Mike Deodato was mentioned a couple times. Is it widely acknowledged that he uses Poser or Daz Studio (or he did when he was doing Dark Avengers a few years back, anyway)? I don't mean that to disparage the guy at all, but as a Daz Studio user myself, I know Daz models when I see them. And his previous style looks nothing like his current style. I mention it because I wonder if fans would hold it against him if they knew (again, I don't, I'm an artist myself, and very pragmatic about these things - the product is all that matters, not the methods. And the fact is, using Poser or Daz Studio is work; every minute you're fiddling around trying to get a pose right, loading this, saving that, etc., is a minute you're not drawing. Those minutes matter.).
    Last edited by JQP; 02-25-2016 at 04:50 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JQP View Post
    Yeah I thought about qualifying it to people who are relatively consistent, but decided against; I want the best.

I noticed that Mike Deodato was mentioned a couple times. Is it widely acknowledged that he uses Poser or Daz Studio (or he did when he was doing Dark Avengers a few years back, anyway)? I don't mean that to disparage the guy at all, but as a Daz Studio user myself, I know Daz models when I see them. And his previous style looks nothing like his current style. I mention it because I wonder if fans would hold it against him if they knew (again, I don't, I'm an artist myself, and very pragmatic about these things - the product is all that matters, not the methods. And the fact is, using Poser or Daz Studio is work; every minute you're fiddling around trying to get a pose right, loading this, saving that, etc., is a minute you're not drawing. Those minutes matter.).
    I'm glad you bring this up -- I'm a writer/illustrator who is deciding whether to go digital (and just illustrate via Photoshop) or to stick with my pencils and focus on learning how to work with watercolors and oils.

Here's a sample of what I'm trying to learn -- you can see where I am now by checking my art gallery below (in my sig):

I'll most likely eventually learn both -- assuming I don't just focus on writing instead -- but I'm curious as to which you find easier.

(Btw -- if you want the best, I have to mention Travis Charest as well, though I do prefer Sara Pichelli, mainly due to her distinctive facial expressions.)

http://travischarestart.com/
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-25-2016 at 05:52 PM.

BANNED

Mike Deodato Jr
    Victor Ibanez
    Stephanie Hans

Amazing Member

also, what are some good sites for pulling down credits lists? You know, so I can find and tag stuff I have, and find stuff I want to get?

also, what are some good sites for pulling down credits lists? You know, so I can find and tag stuff I have, and find stuff I want to get?
    Comicvine.com

So what is aja doing?

Havent heard anything

Aja is doing the covers for Karnak.

My favorites at the moment:

Javier Rodriguez
    Stefano Caselli
    Phil Noto
    Chris Samnee
    Mike Del Mundo
    Stephanie Hans
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

BANNED

Thanks for the replies Nick, Winterboy, Its, Aja, Marvelous, and Ken (and for the link Nick)! I really appreciate it. Keep them coming! I'm interested not just because I haven't looked in on comics in a while and want stuff for my own edification; I also want to know who's popular, even if they're not to my taste (so a bigger sample size is better).

Indeed, it's the product that matters, not the methods. I wanna be a s good as Mike Deodato Jr.