Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The Minority Report! Diversity In DC and the Nu52

There was a long running thread for this in the Marvel side, and since this is a new CBR, I've decided to try this out.

This thread is dedicated to a CIVIL DEBATE(!) about diversity and Minority topics in DC and the DCU across the mediums. What DC is doing right and what more can be done in this area. Come in with an open mind and respect sensible opinions.

I've been saying for a while that DC actually does try at diversity, they're just inept at doing it. The New Wally West is a prime example. I was really rooting for the new Wally (especially in the face of the backlash) but they had to go and slapped a bunch of lame racial tropes on the character from the jump. At best that was just lazy and incredibly tone deaf.

I think DC's diversity is pretty unquestionable. They're certainly far more diverse than Marvel is.

They have a whole wide range of minority characters, covering a vast amount of different experiences within those groups. And they keep introducing more.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I think DC has tried very hard to incorporate more diverse characters into their universe over the last 10 years. Shortly after Identity Crisis, we got new versions of the Atom(Ryan), Firestorm(Jason), the Question(Renee), and the Spectre(Crispus). In the New 52, we've had a slew of diverse characters receive their own series such as Mr. Terrific, Blue Beetle, OMAC, Static, Batwing, and the Ray. Besides those, there have been new additions to team books such as Bunker/Teen Titans, a homosexual Alan Scott, a Hispanic Kendra Sanders, Cyborg as a founder of the Justice League, and then there's the very diverse new team known as The Others.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Steel and Black Lightning ongoings. Now! It is nice to see that Steel will be used in the New Suicide Squad, but that isn't enough for me as he is one of my favorite characters. Steel, as one of DC's smartest weapon designers, needs to hurry up and figure out that full body armour does not protect his head... Arguably the area that needs the most protection.

I disliked Static Shock, but was into the set-up for Mister Terrific. I felt that book was cancelled while still finding its place in the DCU. I wouldn't have complained at a new writer, though.

I was enjoying Batwing until it was moved from Africa to Gotham, and an American was put in the suit (Lucius Fox's son, no less!).

Vixen's New52 introduction was poor and she was pretty generic.

I have thoroughly enjoyed Batwoman.

I really liked the fat guy (can't remember his name) from Dial H.

It is a shame that Ted Kord will probably be the Blue Beetle soon and Jaime Reyes will disappear.

Cyborg just does not work for me in JL, however, I think its partly because I have read all of Wolfman's Teen Titans, and Johns is largely retreading the same waters. I am also snarky that J'onn got the boot.

Jury is out on Wally West until I read a few issues. This change may have been mandated by Warner Bros, as I believe the Wests will be black in the new Flash show they are working on.

I do feel that overall DC is trying, but they have a long road ahead. The new titles have launched from Wave 1 to present does seem to be trending away from minority character leads, but there were a few exceptions. Unfortunately, Katana and Vibe were not very good.

BANNED

Not to mention, DC has been the leader in diversity as far as women go. On both sides of the New 52, they have had no less than a dozen female-led titles for YEARS:

*Batwoman
    *Wonder Woman
    *Power GIrl (Now WF)
    *Batgirl
    *Catwoman
    *Amethyst
    *Zatanna (now leads JLD)
    *Supergirl

And numerous more. Meanwhile, Marvel is barely catching up to this, and have NEVER been able to maintain a female character consistently in a lead role.

Thread Topic Under Review

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    Thread Topic Under Review
    Ok, we are going to allow this for now. I want you each to make sure you understand the rules as defined yesterday. Make sure to use report post feature and the ignore poster function.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    I've been saying for a while that DC actually does try at diversity, they're just inept at doing it.
    This is an argument that I don't have a problem with.

And, seriously, you can always do better.

All-New Member

DC is hands down the best there is at diversity. They've got something for everyone. And even if they don't feature it with their main line they have digital firsts and other titles to satisfy every need.

There is no way DC isn't the absolute best at diversity as things are right now. Something for women and minorities and penned by women and minorities.

Way better than Marvel.

One of the things I've been waiting for from DC is Vixen getting her own solo book. She hasn't had a chance at a solo book since 1981, and THAT was cancelled even before the first issue was released because one of their subsidiaries shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I think DC has tried very hard to incorporate more diverse characters into their universe over the last 10 years. Shortly after Identity Crisis, we got new versions of the Atom(Ryan), Firestorm(Jason), the Question(Renee), and the Spectre(Crispus). In the New 52, we've had a slew of diverse characters receive their own series such as Mr. Terrific, Blue Beetle, OMAC, Static, Batwing, and the Ray. Besides those, there have been new additions to team books such as Bunker/Teen Titans, a homosexual Alan Scott, a Hispanic Kendra Sanders, Cyborg as a founder of the Justice League, and then there's the very diverse new team known as The Others.

have you ever read this article? http://comicsalliance.com/the-racial...-storytelling/

also the ray wasnt in the new 52.

and for context.

Mr.terrific, static, and omac were all cancelled after 8 issues. Blue beetle at 16. and they are all being used dismally now.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    DC is hands down the best there is at diversity. They've got something for everyone. And even if they don't feature it with their main line they have digital firsts and other titles to satisfy every need.

There is no way DC isn't the absolute best at diversity as things are right now. Something for women and minorities and penned by women and minorities.

Way better than Marvel.
    Can we get some examples on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    I've been saying for a while that DC actually does try at diversity, they're just inept at doing it. The New Wally West is a prime example. I was really rooting for the new Wally (especially in the face of the backlash) but they had to go and slapped a bunch of lame racial tropes on the character from the jump. At best that was just lazy and incredibly tone deaf.
    I agree that DC is trying but failing, but I think the faults of the new Wally lie more on Venditti and Jenson than DC itself. They just aren't very good writers.

But DC is trying, but the solos they give minority characters, outside of Batwoman, are either terrible, or come at the wrong time with bad marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    One of the things I've been waiting for from DC is Vixen getting her own solo book. She hasn't had a chance at a solo book since 1981, and THAT was cancelled even before the first issue was released because one of their subsidiaries shut down.
    She did have a mini about five years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by wisesonAC View Post
    have you ever read this article? http://comicsalliance.com/the-racial...-storytelling/

also the ray wasnt in the new 52.

and for context.

Mr.terrific, static, and omac were all cancelled after 8 issues. Blue beetle at 16. and they are all being used dismally now.
    The Ray is part of the New 52 universe.

Books get cancelled when they don't sell. All those characters besides Static have been kept alive in the DCU. Vibe and Katana were given high-profile launches and didn't catch on.