Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728
    Extraordinary Member

The x-men comic is all women and most are women of color,so that makes that two books from marvel.
    x-men-
    Jubilee, M, Psylocke, Rachel Grey, Storm, Cecilia Reyes, Agent Brand
    Last edited by mace11; 01-13-2015 at 09:29 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    That DC list is much longer.
    I disagree.

The marvel now list is longer then the new 52 since new 52 is starting over again with most of there stories.

So even alot of the white characters ,women characters ,alien and god characters have not return in the new 52.
    DC is making new ones however and fast to be fair,but they are doing it more quietly then marvel.
    A few have return has well recently,but the marvel list is still longer.

Now if you compare post-crisis to pre marvel now, marvel had a longer list too.

If you look at pre -new52 and pre-marvel now thier are more characters of color in marvel as well.
    Last edited by mace11; 01-13-2015 at 09:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member

By the way,i posted links showing new 52 characters and marvel characters.
    For dc it will have the milestone characters included and the other stuff that are not superheros.
    All of it will be under the dc,superhero comics or not.
    So if i wanted to look for icon or static,it will be in dc wiki or dc comicvine for milestone and dc.
    For the marvel list below it will have everything as well,x-men teams etc...

Here is two links showing all characters from dc,now and pre-new52.
    These will have a list showing everyone that showed up over the years since the beginning,blacks,whites,women,children,aliens,gods etc..
    Superheros,heros and non- heros.

List of characters for dc.
    This has 535 pages
    DC Comics Characters - Comic Vine
    http://www.comicvine.com/dc-comics/4010-10/characters/

Characters - DC Comics Database

A list of every character that can be found on the DC Database. With over 10,000 characters in the DC Universe, this is the most complete listing in existence.

This has 1125 pages
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Characters

and

Marvel Characters - Comic Vine
    637 pages
    http://www.comicvine.com/marvel/4010-31/characters/

Characters - Marvel Comics Database - Wikia
    A comprehensive list of every character that can be found on the Marvel Database.
    With over 40,000 characters in the Marvel Universe, this is the most complete listing in existence.

2540 pages
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Characters

There are more pages and a longer lists in marvel ,meaning they have more characters then dc.
    The DC list includes milestone dc, vertigo dc and wildstorm dc.

DC characters -over 10,000
    MARVEL characters - over 40,000
    Last edited by mace11; 01-14-2015 at 05:27 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel has more characters.
    Anyone could see this clearly if you open the links above.
    Last edited by mace11; 01-13-2015 at 10:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Conan use to be a part of marvel,but not anymore.The stories are not a part that universe,so there was time shift.
    Marvel does not use the word reboot,but use time shift.
    The early transformers and g.i.joe comics had a number of folks of color too just like conan,but they were in another universe,but now not in any marvel universe.

The point is there was a number of comics from marvel and dc that are superhero and not superhero stuff from the past and now.

From marvel,the non-superhero stuff like stars wars and the other comics i mention above,and the superheros stuff the meteor man.

From dc,there is star trek for example.

Anyway if they are part of the dc universe,(earth 2) etc.those are the ones that should count only for this discussion.
    Same with marvel.

By the way for dc the new 52 characters are the only ones that count now because of the reboot.

The list for dc is way down

All the alternate universes for both marvel and dc is included for below and above.
    New 52 DC Characters
    11 pages
    http://www.comicvine.com/profile/ira...racters/39206/

New 52 Characters
    87 pages
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:New_52_Characters

The wiki one is the more correct one for all the links above.
    It's a more comprehensive list.
    Last edited by mace11; 01-14-2015 at 02:08 AM.

DC wiki is way behind when it comes to Character pages, I had to create a few pages myself.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Marvel wiki as split character pages into multiple different ones, if a future version of them appears while the DC wiki contains everything on the same page, so just looking at number of characters is far from a good analysis.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    POC had more ongoing series than DC. If you exclude Milestone (since they don't own them), Impact (owned by Archie) or Vertigo (although there is like only 4) Marvel has a 12 series lead.
    This is where I stop paying attention to you. "If you exclude things that go against my argument, you're wrong!"

Spectacular Member ParticleFreezer's Avatar

Here are my Top 5 Black Characters

5. Nick Fury - MCU Movie version obviously. Id watch that solo movie over a Panther or Cap film any day of the week.

4. Storm A legit top 5 X-man regardless of race or gender. The only reason I dont have her higher is because Halle Berry did an awful job portraying her on the big screen, and the animated series version was a cringe session.

3. BladeTHis character gets no credit for totally outgrossing his Marvel stablemate Punisher. If Marvel actually put some energy in pushing him in the Comics hed be a top guy no doubt.

2. Black Manta Hands Down the greatest Black Supervillain in the history of Comics. He predates Darth Vader, and has a very hilarious Origin story that has since been retconned. Oh I love this guy...

1. John Stewart Simply the Best, 40+ years and counting. Basically the African American Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    DC wiki is way behind when it comes to Character pages, I had to create a few pages myself.
    Marvel wiki as split character pages into multiple different ones, if a future version of them appears while the DC wiki contains everything on the same page, so just looking at number of characters is far from a good analysis.
    Yeah, I was going to mention something like this. Also those ages can include items, locations, and like you said alternate characters from different universes. Marvel doesn't restrict themselves to 52ish Earths.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member

I like to think about why they put cyborg on the team. It most lilky becasue he was their most popular Black male chracter at the time of putting a new team together.

Extraordinary Member

DC Comics Does Diversity: Gene Luen Yang to take the helm of DC’s Superman (and other awesomeness)!

Last year, Marvel announced efforts to broaden the diversity of their superhero lineup; only to run their main Marvel universe through the shredder this year and possibly erase all those gains. Meanwhile, both DC and Marvel have been criticized that even when they elevate the profiles of non-White and non-male superheros, previous efforts have stumbled due at least in part to failures to implement behind-the-scenes diversity initiatives; thus, earlier announcements have come across as transient pandering that lacks connection to the actual experiences of women and minorities while failing to produce opportunities for minority creators.

Today, DC announced its own radical shift that would be taking hold of the DC superhero universe in the coming months. No, not another Crisis: DC announced a major roster change in the creative teams behind several ongoing titles as well as the launch of several new books, all with the general goal of “broadening” the focus of the DC universe. In layman’s terms? DC is diversifying their superheros, and it turns out that they’re going to do it the right way: behind-the-scenes as well as in front.

MarySue is all over the news, highlighting the launch of two new titles that feature strong female superhero protagonists -- Black Canary and Starfire. This will be Starfire’s first solo title, and notably, she’s received a costume redesign that (finally) covers her top half (although, of course, she’s still wearing booty shorts). In addition to a limited run Harley Quinn/ Power Girl (which may feature the new Power Girl, Tanya Spears who is Black and also apparently awesome) miniseries, these newly launched female-led titles will join ongoing series featuring Catwoman, Harley Quinn, Batgirl and Wonder Woman, making DC’s newly announced efforts one of the most inclusive comic lineups with regard to women.

With regard to racial diversity, a few (but not that many) characters of colour will also be promoted to solo title status; most notably, Cyborg will get his own series, written by current author of Shaft, David Walker. The cover of We Are Robin also features several Robins, including both women and people of colour. The new title, Midnighter, will focus on a gay male lead character.

But the real news here is what’s going on behind-the-scenes: DC’s newest slate of creative teams features an almost unprecedented number of women and minority creators. For the New 52 relaunch, less than 1% of DC’s writers were women. In this new announcement, six women (or 17% of all writers, a big deal in the traditionally male-dominated comics industry) will be women. Even more importantly, several of the female writers will be writing female protagonists: Meredith Finch will be writing Wonder Woman, Gail Simone will continue her work on Secret Six (which includes several female characters), Amanda Connor will co-write Harley Quinn, Starfire, and the Harley Quinn/Power Girl mini-series, and Genevieve Valentine will write Catwoman.

Today’s announcement is also a big deal for Asian American comic book writers and artists. Greg Pak, who has done phenomenal work for both DC and Marvel, will be continuing to write Action Comics and Superman/Batman. The big news is that Gene Luen Yang, author of several award-winning comic books including American Born Chinese, Boxers & Saints, and The Shadow Hero will be making his DC Comics debut to take over the ongoing Superman series. DC reports that Yang will be charged with helping to depict Superman “in a more contemporary light”. Ming Doyle, one of the industry’s few Asian American female talents, will also be joining Constantine: The Hellblazer as a writer, and Dark Universe as an artist.

Teamed with artist John Romita, Jr., Yang will be the first Asian American to write the tale of DC Comics’ flagship superhero in his eponymous title; this is also symbolic because Superman’s story — with its immigrant narrative overtones — has long spoken to Asian American fanboys. As my good friend Will West (@williambwest) put it:

This is a pretty big deal. An Asian American is writing the American Dream superhero.

(Of course, Pak has been writing Superman through both Action Comics and Superman/Batman or some time, but you get the gist!)

Yang’s writing is just superb and stellar; I’ve been a fan for years. I haven’t been buying comics in a number of years; the addition of Yang and Doyle to a writing staff that already includes Pak’s strong work is making me change my mind on that decision.

As far as Asian American creative talent are concerned, Yang, Pak and Doyle will also be joined by several Asian American artists in driving the behind-the-scenes work for DC. Talented Asian American artists Bernard Chang, Sonny Liew, Ardian Syaf, Annie Wu and Billy Tan will pencil Batman Beyond, Dr Fate, Batman/Superman, Black Canary, and Green Lantern, respectively; Irene Koh is also working on art for Black Canary although she’s listed by BleedingCool and not included in DC’s official announcement.

DC says:

“This heralds in a new era for the DC Universe which will allow us to publish something for everyone, be more expansive and modern in our approach and tell stories that better reflect the society around us,” said DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Dan DiDio. “Whether you’ve been a DC fan your whole life, or whether you are new to comics – there will be a book for you beginning in June.”

I wonder if this new prioritization of diversity might also signal renewed interest in a new relationship with the new Milestone, too?

http://reappropriate.co/?p=7856

Incredible Member

I guess I might as well be the one to raise this thread to the top again, as I was searching for one like it out of curiosity and simply can't leave this last page uncommented.

That's simply not true. That Marvel has more alternate futures and (in large part because it treats those correctly) more alternate universes doesn't change the fact that the two wikis operate the exact same way.

This, however, is correct, yes. At least it often seems to me this way.
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

Don't have much to add, but the protagonist of Doomed appears to be a minority. Midnighter's book looks solid and the same could be said about Starfire's.