Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: DC Sneak Peek: Green Arrow

The series takes a more macabre tone, as Oliver Queen faces off against a murderous trucker in Alaska before he is called home by his half-sister Emiko (from the Jeff Lemire run) to help her save Seattle from nefarious forces.
    Find out in this ALL-NEW 8-page preview and follow the adventures of the Emerald Archer in GREEN ARROW #41.

Full preview here.

I like the art.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Extraordinary Member

I found this a little underwhelming. Nothing was bad, it just seemed a bit hard to read, but hopefully that is just because some stories get that way when a writer/artist is still thinking in twenty pages.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I found this a little underwhelming. Nothing was bad, it just seemed a bit hard to read, but hopefully that is just because some stories get that way when a writer/artist is still thinking in twenty pages.
    Yeah, it really didn't wow me. Not even Zircher's art was as good as it usually is.
    This preview doesn't give me very high hopes for the new direction.

Always Rakzo

Repeating what I said in the other thread:

The writing is... solid if a bit overworked. It sometimes feels like it focus too much on unnecessary details instead of going straight to the point.

Zircher's artwork though? It's A-AMAZING! The storytelling is what makes this whole preview worthy and really justifies buying the series just because of it.

i'm worried for this title. jeff lemire set a bar his replacements haven't been able to come close to.

Astonishing Member

If I was underwhelmed by the preview setting more of a tone than giving us a satisfying 8-page story of its own, I was still pretty comforted by the art and the way it read. I really appreciated the beats of depicting the starry night sky and Sagittarius. I like Zircher's design aesthetic in addition to his storytelling and mise-en-scene direction. Ollie's costume I settled on liking a while back, but specifically the creep factor of that whiskey dude, or the weird ninja whatevers chasing Emiko.

Emiko vs. skullninjas ... Ollie in a weird location alone namedropping the Outsiders ... Seattle burning ... it's certainly taking being a sequel to the Lemire run seriously.

I'm still in. I like these 8 pages a lot.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    If I was underwhelmed by the preview setting more of a tone than giving us a satisfying 8-page story of its own, I was still pretty comforted by the art and the way it read. I really appreciated the beats of depicting the starry night sky and Sagittarius. I like Zircher's design aesthetic in addition to his storytelling and mise-en-scene direction. Ollie's costume I settled on liking a while back, but specifically the creep factor of that whiskey dude, or the weird ninja whatevers chasing Emiko.

Emiko vs. skullninjas ... Ollie in a weird location alone namedropping the Outsiders ... Seattle burning ... it's certainly taking being a sequel to the Lemire run seriously.

I'm still in. I like these 8 pages a lot.
    Same here! I dropped it after Lemire's run, but this preview made me add it right back to my pull list. I hope some of these other books are this pleasant of a surprise.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Not mind blowing, but ok. If team settles in I expect regular issues to be of higher quality. I'll also love this if there will be zero references to anything that happened in stop-gap run.

Too much narration. He was just babbling on and on.

I think I like the Green Arrow from Dark Knight Returns the best. A crazy old loon.

Funny how at the end of Lemire's run Oliver had promised never to leave Seattle on a whim again and yet here he is doing exactly that. I'm all up for a Green Arrow road trip story, but it can be done without making him look bad.

Patrick Zircher is the main reason I'll be checking this out. Still on edge about Ben Percy, this preview shows that he falls under the same trope that a lot of novelists turned comic book writers do with the unnecessary exposure and overloaded narration while the story was just a bit generic.

That said, if the front of the costume has that huge arrow symbol on it looks pretty bad...