Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I dunno...I sorta disagree...somewhat...a little. The way the team came together is superteam origin 101...aliens attack and capes who just happen to be around fight them. Then capes decide to form a team. If you count versions from other media the Justice League has like three completely different origins based on this theme. Having said that Mighty Avengers is one of my favorite comics coming from Marvel at this time, it is sorta contrived, but so what? It's a solid comic. The superhero genre itself is contrived. Just like many cops shows, westerns, and slasher movies are contrived. Things happen in those type of stories cuz the writer decides they'll happen, not cuz they're realistic. The original premise of the Avengers was contrived...it was just Marvel's version of the JL, it didn't find it's own identity until the "kooky quartet" line up. The trick is can you do an entertaining and artistic comic within those constraints...
    Well said (the entire post but specifically the bold)
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Black Lightning and Static can probably work in a group like we have Storm in the x people. It is probably time to revive the Outsiders team which participated in COIE. Static can probably work in Blood Syndicate or Shadow Cabinet.
    Static wouldn't work in either of those groups. It's like saying Spider-Man would work as a member of the Suicide Squad, lol. The group he was actually a member of...Heroes...would work, though.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Invincible Member

DC responds to the recent news from Marvel
    The fan questions went straight to hot button topics as a woman asked why DC seemed "ashamed" of its diverse heroes while Marvel seemed to be successful at getting people excited about their diversity. To her, most DC characters of color or dealing with disability have been removed, white washed or cancelled. Cunningham said that he believes this perception is just that – something that is promoted in the media but doesn't hold up as that imbalanced when you actually look at the books. Johns agreed, saying that DC is bringing characters like Cisco Ramon to their TV universe as well as in the comics, but they don't promote such a move as the debut of an Hispanic character so much as the promotion of a great character who happens to be Hispanic. "Just because it isn't announced on 'The View,' doesn't mean it's not there," added Scott.

Invincible Member

Also, Aquaman and the Others is a comic with a diverse cast, but it seems to be getting little attention.

I mean...as a comic, it's kinda average at best. But you'd think it'd get talked about just on the basis of being an Aquaman spinoff.

The character of Sky is kinda cliche, but most of the rest I don't think are too stereotypical. At least not in an offensive way. The comic's biggest problem is that the over all execution is a bit "meh".

I really like Luke Fox, I'm glad to see him playing a part in Batman Eternal. He feels a lot more organic in the Batwing role then David Zavimbe who kinda felt shoehorned in as the "Batman of Africa", sure he is another Bat character in a long list, but I'm surprised DC haven't done more to promote Luke.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    I really like Luke Fox, I'm glad to see him playing a part in Batman Eternal. He feels a lot more organic in the Batwing role then David Zavimbe who kinda felt shoehorned in as the "Batman of Africa", sure he is another Bat character in a long list, but I'm surprised DC haven't done more to promote Luke.
    Eh the brash uber athletic black hero that is Luke does nothing for me, like black superheroes with electric based powers there's so many of them( and unlike there I didn't find anything in his personality to set him apart other then blandness )

DC responds to the recent news from Marvel
    If people are still questioning you about it, I'm pretty sure that mean that you're still giving off the wrong perception. I was pretty angry yesterday when I read that response.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Eh the brash uber athletic black hero that is Luke does nothing for me, like black superheroes with electric based powers there's so many of them( and unlike there I didn't find anything in his personality to set him apart other then blandness )

There was a rich family dynamic at work in Batwing. It felt authentic, you could see what made Luke tick and why he was a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Steel is coming back, slowy but is coming back.

But I don't think Cassandra could coexist with Stephanie.
    They did it before the reboot. But you're right, Cass shouldn't share her spotlight with that ditz
    Last edited by Zainu; 07-28-2014 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HereNThere View Post
    If people are still questioning you about it, I'm pretty sure that mean that you're still giving off the wrong perception. I was pretty angry yesterday when I read that response.
    Well, what should they do? Advertise characters based on their gender or ethnicity? That's pretty tacky.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HereNThere View Post
    If by people you mean one uninformed Marvel fanboy, not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Well, what should they do? Advertise characters based on their gender or ethnicity? That's pretty tacky.
    Exactly, most of the people crying about it wouldn't even pick up a book to support it.

Incredible Member

Also, Aquaman and the Others is a comic with a diverse cast, but it seems to be getting little attention.
    Oh, so the "diverse" members of the cast are referred to as "others?" Sounds progressive.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Just promote the books and put good teams on them.

They already advertise characters based on their gender and ethnicity. It's just that white and male characters are seen as the norm and the default so when they're promoted it's "organic" like say a Kyle Rayner. However, do the same for a John Stewart or Black Panther or Wiccan and all of sudden it's forced.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Just promote the books and put good teams on them.

They already advertise characters based on their gender and ethnicity. It's just that white and male characters are seen as the norm and the default so when they're promoted it's "organic" like say a Kyle Rayner. However, do the same for a John Stewart or Black Panther or Wiccan and all of sudden it's forced.
    At no point do they ever advertise as new book as "starring a white male!"