Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

........and Harley Quinn!

DC has some terrific characters but honestly they don't know what to do with them. How is John Stewart not in a solo title? The Mr Terrific solo that came out in the New 52 was just abysmal with the story and art. I didn't know what kind of feel they were going with for the book. I love what they initially did with Batwing as I enjoyed David's character. It's taking a minute to get used to the change on that title.

I don't like what they've done with Amanda Waller. The old Waller was great. I don't see why they felt they had to change her. Vixen and Bronze Tiger are great characters who should have been brought in on the Suicide Squad relaunch. DC really needs to figure out how to utilize some of their minority characters better.

The DC universe has a lot of diverse characters that they just don't use, or they just don't stick. Like OMAC for instance, it was actually pretty good, it's just a shame people didn't recognize it until after it was cancelled, and Kevin Kho was asian, that's what DC should be doing more of. Justice League United has equinox, and in addition to her, has supergirl and stargirl, two more women than the justice league. Giffen and Didio are reuniting for Infinity Man and the Forever People, Serifan has become Serifina, she's also going to be Vikyn's sister. Like marvel (though I think we give them a little too much credit) they could benefit from a more diverse staff.

I'd like Ryan Choi back. He doesn't need to be the Atom, but I'd like him back in some form.

I think they need to put more famous writers on their minority books instead of changing prexisting ones. They can't expect the lesser known books to just pick up by themselves. Geoff Johns helped launch Vibe, which was something at least.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    DC has some terrific characters but honestly they don't know what to do with them. How is John Stewart not in a solo title?
    Isn't he the star of GLC?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    I've been saying for a while that DC actually does try at diversity, they're just inept at doing it. The New Wally West is a prime example. I was really rooting for the new Wally (especially in the face of the backlash) but they had to go and slapped a bunch of lame racial tropes on the character from the jump. At best that was just lazy and incredibly tone deaf.
    Or, characteristics that many teenagers share.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I've pointed out this before, but DC is publishing the most diverse book on the stands at the moment, Federal Bureau of Physics, which features Indian-American and Latina leads, an Asian-American transwoman, and whatever the hell Stu Cicero is. It's also a very, very good book. Now, like most people, I would like to see DC do better with representation, and I think supporting a book like FBP sends a message that these kinds of books can sell. If a book like FBP can gain some traction specifically because it's well-done with a diverse cast, DC may get the idea that a superhero book along those lines could be something people want to see. Talent seeps in from the margins these days.

I think there are three ways to promote the diversity:

1. With new characters: A new concept, without any kind of relationship with any other character. E.g: the Milestone characters; Cyborg, the Original Amazing Man.
    2. New characters based on a previous existing characters: the most common used resource, specially with the legacy concept: Mr. Terrific, Ryan Choi, Kate Spencer, JJ Thunder, Jaime Reyes.
    3. Promoting old secondary characters to first line: John Stewart in GL; Carol Ferris to heroic Star Sapphire.

Personally I would like to see more new characters and new faces, more than just a recreation of old names in new faces, but that's a editorial problem. They are the ones betting safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    DC has some terrific characters but honestly they don't know what to do with them. How is John Stewart not in a solo title?
    You might want to try out Green Lantern Corps from #21 on. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this (or maybe I missed it), because it is the best handled example of diversity DC has. DC has put a person of color as the lead of a well known title, and it's not hamfisted, clumsy, or forced. It's rather gracefully done, actually.

DC tries, but their attempts are usually half-assed or misguided. Half-assed is what they did with Blue Beetle, The Atom, and Firestorm. 9 times out of 10, those concepts aren't going to sell no matter who you put in the suit. So when the titles get cancelled, unsurprisingly, DC can shrug and say they tried. Also, Cyborg being in the Justice League is pretty lame on several levels, especially since he barely does anything. An example of them being misguided is what they've recently done with Wally West. That's either misguided, or some plot to destroy the character and his claim to being The Flash... or both.
    Last edited by Desh; 05-01-2014 at 06:16 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    DC tries, but their attempts are usually half-assed or misguided. Half-assed is what they did with Blue Beetle, The Atom, and Firestorm.
    I will dispute that with the John Rogers Blue Beetle (though not with Firestorm or the Bedard Blue Beetle). Too many fans were complaining about DC being PC to notice that it was a graceful, witty title that was written smartly and with a lot of heart.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    DC is hands down the best there is at diversity. They've got something for everyone. And even if they don't feature it with their main line they have digital firsts and other titles to satisfy every need.

There is no way DC isn't the absolute best at diversity as things are right now. Something for women and minorities and penned by women and minorities.

Way better than Marvel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Can we get some examples on this?
    He might be sarcastic because now we have to think happy thoughts or we'll get sent to the cornfield.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    I will dispute that with the John Rogers Blue Beetle (though not with Firestorm or the Bedard Blue Beetle). Too many fans were complaining about DC being PC to notice that it was a graceful, witty title that was written smartly and with a lot of heart.
    There is your issue. Before you can even talk about content of the book-you got folks going off on the book before the first issue.

And the main folks doing it were guys who would not read the book in the first place but make it their business to TROLL that character-in book reviews, appreciation threads, any time someone say "I would like to see the character appear in blank" or say "I can read any DC book knowing blank is appearing in a book that I am NOT reading. Like we saw happen to Static & John Stewart.

We are talking about 1 book out of 50+ and we got people not wanting the book around because they want someone who is not a female, minority or LGBT in a series that would probably do worst in sales.

I mean couldn't that energy be spend helping struggling books that they like?

He might be sarcastic because now we have to think happy thoughts or we'll get sent to the cornfield.
    No I think it's a legit question. It's not meant to be bashing DC or Marvel.

Marvel's top/popular female and minorities are active in Marvel in some form. We have seen some get series shots including one due to a tv series & his deceased writer of his 90s series.
    DC's a large number popular/top female & minorities are not. Where is Donna, Meggan, Aqualad (both of them), Static, Beetle, Cassandra Cain, Renee Montoya, Vixen and others at? Why does it seem to be a fear about using theses guys-you can not let the faction who hates them bully you into not using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    I've been saying for a while that DC actually does try at diversity, they're just inept at doing it. The New Wally West is a prime example. I was really rooting for the new Wally (especially in the face of the backlash) but they had to go and slapped a bunch of lame racial tropes on the character from the jump. At best that was just lazy and incredibly tone deaf.
    This is generally how I feel as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I think there are three ways to promote the diversity:

1. With new characters: A new concept, without any kind of relationship with any other character. E.g: the Milestone characters; Cyborg, the Original Amazing Man.
    2. New characters based on a previous existing characters: the most common used resource, specially with the legacy concept: Mr. Terrific, Ryan Choi, Kate Spencer, JJ Thunder, Jaime Reyes.
    3. Promoting old secondary characters to first line: John Stewart in GL; Carol Ferris to heroic Star Sapphire.

Personally I would like to see more new characters and new faces, more than just a recreation of old names in new faces, but that's a editorial problem. They are the ones betting safe.
    In all honesty, its not even that complex of a concept to really grasp...which is why I had to highlight the quote above this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    DC tries, but their attempts are usually half-assed or misguided. Half-assed is what they did with Blue Beetle, The Atom, and Firestorm. 9 times out of 10, those concepts aren't going to sell no matter who you put in the suit. So when the titles get cancelled, unsurprisingly, DC can shrug and say they tried. Also, Cyborg being in the Justice League is pretty lame on several levels, especially since he barely does anything. An example of them being misguided is what they've recently done with Wally West. That's either misguided, or some plot to destroy the character and his claim to being The Flash... or both.
    This is ultimately why I dropped the title. Though, the cover to issue 18 (that prominently featured him on it) bought the series about 6 or 7 more issues than I intended if I recall correctly. And I genuinely think the Wally West thing was misguided...his age is where I'd claim they planned to eliminate his claim to being the Flash.
    Last edited by Just Is; 05-01-2014 at 09:00 PM.

I think that DC is trying harder at being more inclusive of minorities. I LOVE Batwoman, but was so disappointed when Williams and Blackman left the book over creative differences.
    I like characters like Bunker, Alan Scott (Earth 2) and Vibe, but I agree that I would love to see brand new characters introduced. I would love a very strong Latina character in BoP. Granted I might not know of one since I'm fairly new to DC comics.