Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I doubt that there will be a response. DC has a tendency to stick to what works, sometimes they mix things up with either diverse characters or genres like Vibe, Threshold, and the movement but they don't promote them enough then when they fail they blame the fans.
    What does DC do for other books to "promote" them that they don't do for the books you list?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon View Post
    I think they missed a big opportunity by not dropping one of the Gen-13 people into the Titans. Freefall would have been an interesting addition, especially with her powerset.
    Any of the three ladies, really. I'd choose Fairchild or Rainmaker before Freefall (who, IMO, works so much better as part of a group including Fairchild and Grunge to bounce off of, personality-wise), but seeing Roxy interact with Garfield/Changeling in a fun snarky way could totally change my mind on that score! Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing Anna, the 'maid' (combat robot / bodyguard) again.

And the DV8 girls, Sublime or Freestyle? Heck yeah. Sublime particularly. Great powers, fun attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    What does DC do for other books to "promote" them that they don't do for the books you list?
    Well, they don't need to hype Superman or Batman, people are going to read Superbooks or Batbooks no matter what, but their lesser known books needed to be pushed into the forefront. Marvel does a better job at pushing the books they want to succeed. Miles Morales and Ms. Marvel both made the news, and the new Ghost Rider is on the cover of Low Rider Magazine. DC should be pushing characters other than Superman, Batman, Green Lantern etc.

BANNED

Well, they don't need to hype Superman or Batman, people are going to read Superbooks or Batbooks no matter what, but their lesser known books needed to be pushed into the forefront. Marvel does a better job at pushing the books they want to succeed. Miles Morales and Ms. Marvel both made the news, and the new Ghost Rider is on the cover of Low Rider Magazine. DC should be pushing characters other than Superman, Batman, Green Lantern etc.
    What are they doing to "push" Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, etc.?

What are they doing to "push" Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, etc.?
    Superman and Batman have had multiple cartoon series and films. Green Lantern has had one cartoon and one film. DC has pushed them into the forefront for years now. I don't think that many non comic readers knew who Iron Man or the avengers were before the movies and cartoons came out. They need to do it with their lesser known properties.

BANNED

Superman and Batman have had multiple cartoon series and films. Green Lantern has had one cartoon and one film. DC has pushed them into the forefront for years now. I don't think that many non comic readers knew who Iron Man or the avengers were before the movies and cartoons came out. They need to do it with their lesser known properties.
    Iron Man and the Avengers were still characters who had been around since the 1960s and were at various times the sales leaders within the comics division. There was some risk, yes, but not as much as DC making, say, a Black Lightning movie.

Doing stuff in other media rarely has any effect on comics sales anyway, which is what we're talking about - diversity within the comics line. People would either go see that Black Lightning movie or not, but it wouldn't make them decide to buy more comics. There have been no major bumps in sales of the books that have had movies out about them recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    As long as Miletone partners with DC, they're never going to be their own imprint for the same reason Wildstorm isn't. It won't sell.
    I'm all for them discontinuing their association with dc. dc has no interest in the Milestone characters beyond Static, IMO.

I've wondered why they haven't licensed to IDW or Dynamite though.
    One can only speculate. The dc license could still be in effect.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Random question, with all the new solo ongoings coming out from Marvel with a wide range of diversity (Ms Marvel, Ghost Rider, Storm, War Machine, Nightcrawler), will there be a response from DC?

And if so, which minority characters would you like to see get ongoings? And are there any minority creators you'd like to see DC acquire?
    I'd like to see another attempt at a Mr Terrific series, this time with a much better concept behind it. I think Bronze Tiger should be leading a revamped Suicide Squad. Vixen should get a solo as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    I'm all for them discontinuing their association with dc. dc has no interest in the Milestone characters beyond Static, IMO.

One can only speculate. The dc license could still be in effect.
    My guess is that Milestone wants the chance to be picked up by WB Animation or Studios.

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Random question, with all the new solo ongoings coming out from Marvel with a wide range of diversity (Ms Marvel, Ghost Rider, Storm, War Machine, Nightcrawler), will there be a response from DC?

And if so, which minority characters would you like to see get ongoings? And are there any minority creators you'd like to see DC acquire?
    I'd like to see Vixen and Bronze Tiger get ongoing solo books.

Ultimate Member

I think in terms of promotion we didn't see it.

That has been a standard issue for minorities in general. We got the books but we don't see the ads.

One thing IDW does is put ads for more than 3 books in most of their comics.

Why? Because they understand not everyone goes to comic websites.

See Batman doesn't need those ads. Nor does Superman, Hal, Ollie, Barry or Justice League. They will sale no matter what.

I think the last time I saw a Static ad in a non Milestone book was either in Superman, Black Lighting, Steel or Legionaries back in the 90s and that as was mainly for the nominations the book got.

Doing stuff in other media rarely has any effect on comics sales anyway, which is what we're talking about - diversity within the comics line.
    Harlequin & Batman Beyond would disagree. One of the issues with the outside media is when guys like Static do well outside of comics, the comic side does nothing with him.

Here is your major difference between Harley & Static.

Harley was active in comics and STAYED active in all forms of media. You saw her on tv, video games, DVDs, toys & dolls. All of her appearances are in trade form.

Static-got none of that. We have writers who want to use him but editors keep burying him like they did Wally & Stephanie.

Here is what Dc has to get through their thick skulls. You don't know WHO will be the character that will breakout and spark interest. I can not let person hate for a character prevent me from doing what is right.

Marvel is taking risks and even if all those books get axed by issue 12-nobody can say Marvel didn't try and some of those books were pretty dang good. I think everybody would be happy with the results.

DC's issue is they don't want to try. I would rather see Dc try and try again because what they DON''T do-someone else will. You don't wait until Ms Marvel & Miles are outselling 70% of your books.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    My guess is that Milestone wants the chance to be picked up by WB Animation or Studios.
    If that was the case why didn't Static Shock universe join the Cartoon Network gang at IDW? I think a Static book would make a killing over there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If that was the case why didn't Static Shock universe join the Cartoon Network gang at IDW? I think a Static book would make a killing over there.
    I don't understand how that's related to what I'm saying. I said Milestone wants the prospects of Warner Bros. adaptations which is why they're keeping the partnership with DC.

But anyhow, I think the IDW comics are for CN properties like Dexter, not DC properties that were adapted to CN.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    But his Justice League comics were horrible.
    What was horrible about them?
    Last edited by wisesonAC; 05-05-2014 at 09:28 PM.

This is a different Wally, in a different Universe. The other one was a redhead, this one is biracial. It really isn't that big a deal. Yes he's younger, both than he was in the other Universe and than some of his previous compatriots. What's important is whether they hold true to the spirit of the character, and we won't know that until he appears in a few more stories.

We don't expect the Lancelot and Arthur of Excalibur, Sword in the Stone, and Merlyn to be the same, so why should we expect all versions of our comic characters to be the same in different incarnations?

As for diversity, DC has published a huge range of diverse books both before and since the New 52 launched. The problem is that people don't buy them. The Movement was a good book, with a very diverse cast and promotion, yet it did not do well in the market.

If we buy diverse books, we'll see greater diversity.