Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: The Wicked + The Divine, #1

Even pop star gods can't predict everything, a conceit proven in Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie's "The Wicked + The Divine."

Full review here.

Picked it up on the basis of McKelvie's art -- I've never been a huge fan of Gillen. BUT, what a great issue! The best thing from Gillen that I've read and the art/colors here are just strikingly amazing.

This was an incredible issue. It leaves the reader desperately wanting for more of Gillen's masterful dialogue, McKelvie's brillant art (especially the facial work) and these intriguing characters. I didn't think I'd like Luci (for I don't know what reason), but she is my favourite character thus far.
    XMenGold XMenBlue GenX Cable Iceman AstonishingXMen UncannyAvengers SpectacularSpiderMan SecretWarriors DoctorStrange
    TheFlash Nightwing Supersons TeenTitans Aquaman Deathstroke WildStorm Saga Wicked+Divine Low Descender KillorbeKilled SeventoEternity

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

This was okay, just that and nothing more. (maybe a 7 or 6.5 from me?)

The setup is decent enough, good cliffhanger (but dammit, she walked right into that), and it's not poorly written. It's just kind of eh. I don't care about any of the characters, dialogue is average, the artwork is okay but nothing spectacular, and it feels kind of silly at points (especially when whatshername at the beginning is describing on totes awesome that god was singing and describing it like sex almost). Just don't really see anything special so far outside of the setup. At least it isn't corny or hammy like Young Avengers was.

Also, having just finished playing Okami, this was weird for me. I keep imagining a white wolf singing pop songs to an adoring crowd.

I liked it but expected a little more. Can't really judge the depth of a story after one issue but it felt a little light for a debut. I think most creator owned debuts generally work better when the first issue is written thematically self contained whereas the ending scene in this felt a little underwhelming. I expect good things from this series so I'm going to continue reading it but it didn't give me that that gut wrenching 'welcome to the new world. this is it' feeling that stuff like East of West, Zero, Southern Bastards or Lazarus did in their #1.

Still a very good first issue though because of the way it is set up I'm not too sure what this series really is yet.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    This was okay, just that and nothing more. (maybe a 7 or 6.5 from me?)

The setup is decent enough, good cliffhanger (but dammit, she walked right into that), and it's not poorly written. It's just kind of eh. I don't care about any of the characters, dialogue is average, the artwork is okay but nothing spectacular, and it feels kind of silly at points (especially when whatshername at the beginning is describing on totes awesome that god was singing and describing it like sex almost). Just don't really see anything special so far outside of the setup. At least it isn't corny or hammy like Young Avengers was.

Also, having just finished playing Okami, this was weird for me. I keep imagining a white wolf singing pop songs to an adoring crowd.

I think you and I are on similar pages. This comic is not as good as the reviewer noted. Not even close. I read this based on the review and I was sorely disappointed. Maybe 3 out of 5 stars would be a better, more accurate rating.

Astonishing Member

I thought this was rather mediocre. Strong concept attached to what so far looks like cliche story. I'll probably trade wait the rest.

I must disagree with most of you guys and side with the reviewer on this one.
    The issue, while hardly epic in scope or self-contained in structure, truly delivers it and sells the concept. I can see where some may have been put off by the pacing and it truly feels a little decompressed, BUT, on the other hand, I think it all does justice to the awesome artwork and the plot really intrigued me and left me wanting more and more of it.
    I think this was just spot-on, really solid work from Gillen! Can't wait to see where it goes!!

I must have been living under a rock because I didn't even know there was a hype train for this book. Bought it last night because it said "From the creators of Young Avengers" and enjoyed the hell out of it. Can't wait for the next issue.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Enjoyed the script, disappointed by the fashions.

For "pop star gods", they dressed entirely too ASOS.

I thought this was pretty good, not (Newsarama 10/10, CBR 5stars) good, but good enuff to pick up the first arc at least...
    #MagnetoWasRight

When does the next issue come out?

Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

When this was announced I didn't really like the sounds of the concept... But I really like Gillen and Mckelvie, so I decided to give it a shot... Absolutely loved it!! Can't wait for the next issue now
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them

I bought an extra copy and passed it around to friends.4 said they'd buy #2,2 said they'd consider buying #2 and 1 said no
    Where the Titans of Classic Comics Speak http://classiccomics.boards.net/