Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What changed your mind?

The theme is simple: what was something that you used to be of a particular strong mindest of, only to find yourself doing a complete 180 and today having a totally different opinion and why? Could be anything, powersets, relationships, origins, parentage details, any aspect of a comic you ever felt strongly about but changed your mind on.

For example, I grew up Superman in throughout the 90s. Got on board when my mother bought me the Death of Superman trade and I never looked back. So I was big on the post-Crisis Superman being my one and only. One of those things I was set on is that Superman should be engaged/married to Lois. Always. Today, I'm of the complete opposite mindset. They should never be engaged. And should absolutelv never marry again. What changed my mind? I really think it was Superman: Secret Origin. While the miniseries ended up being a disastrous disappointment, one thing caught my eye early. How much fun I had when Clark Kent met Lois Lane for the first time and seeing them interact simply as colleagues and rivals. That was really fun for me, and made me realize something I hadn't really noticed until then..Lois and Clark in the present day and married had become really REALLY boring. It would turn out to be not too long after that the reboot would be announced, and the early rumors that the marriage would be leaving. Under other circumstances I might have been really mad but instead found myself really hyped instead. From then on I've been staunchly of the opinion that, while I feel the marriage was a good idea at the time to change up their relationship, it grew old really fast, and that the classic at arm's length attraction thing has far more legs.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Lobo the Duck was what got me to see the joke at Lobo's core. Suddenly so many Lobo comics made sense to me, made me laugh, made me cheer.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The theme is simple: what was something that you used to be of a particular strong mindest of, only to find yourself doing a complete 180 and today having a totally different opinion and why? Could be anything, powersets, relationships, origins, parentage details, any aspect of a comic you ever felt strongly about but changed your mind on.

For example, I grew up Superman in throughout the 90s. Got on board when my mother bought me the Death of Superman trade and I never looked back. So I was big on the post-Crisis Superman being my one and only. One of those things I was set on is that Superman should be engaged/married to Lois. Always. Today, I'm of the complete opposite mindset. They should never be engaged. And should absolutelv never marry again. What changed my mind? I really think it was Superman: Secret Origin. While the miniseries ended up being a disastrous disappointment, one thing caught my eye early. How much fun I had when Clark Kent met Lois Lane for the first time and seeing them interact simply as colleagues and rivals. That was really fun for me, and made me realize something I hadn't really noticed until then..Lois and Clark in the present day and married had become really REALLY boring. It would turn out to be not too long after that the reboot would be announced, and the early rumors that the marriage would be leaving. Under other circumstances I might have been really mad but instead found myself really hyped instead. From then on I've been staunchly of the opinion that, while I feel the marriage was a good idea at the time to change up their relationship, it grew old really fast, and that the classic at arm's length attraction thing has far more legs.
    I use to think comics were for boys as were the superhero cartoons and toys also that comics were low brow and only for people to lazy to read a real book
    this is not at all true but that is what I thought because all the movies and tv said so like in mash one of the doctors takes away a mans comic he's reading
    hands him a book and tells him he can read far greater things then that the man did not say he read comic because he was dumb everyone else called
    him that but him giving up his comic was a happy ending to the show anyway I don't think so
    as for what changed my mind I don't know I just stop worrying about what other people thought I had no idea comics were or would become so popular
    Last edited by hero talk; 02-27-2016 at 01:36 AM.

BANNED

I used to think that continuity was the be-all and end-all. Now, I would still LIKE for things to really fit tight, but I now realize how impossible that really is.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Lobo the Duck was what got me to see the joke at Lobo's core. Suddenly so many Lobo comics made sense to me, made me laugh, made me cheer.
    good for you
    I was in a freak accident there were freaks everywhere Dan vs

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

You and I had the exact opposite reaction to Lois and Clark in Secret Origins .

I thought that the extended Batfamily was dumb and they should only have Bruce, Dick, Barbara, and maybe Tim with Jason as a bad guy. But the characters have grown on me over the years and now I like the Batfamily.

I used to be in favor of everyone in the New 52 being a lot younger but I've changed my mind on some. Bruce should be in his late 30s and pushing 40 IMO. Even Superman should be a little experienced and his mid 30s. Everyone being in their 20s is just weird. The only way that works is if there is a clean reboot but instead we got multiple generations and a Wonder Woman who is closer in age to Dick Grayson than she is to Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Fragging-wauughh!!!

BANNED

I was a total Marvel fan in the 70s, thinking DC comics was (for whatever reason) too childish in comparison. I stopped reading comics in 1980, then saw Man of Steel for the first time and was completely floored. I loved that movie so much I just had to read comics again, so I picked up Superman Unchained and went crazy over that. Shortly after I read my first ever Green Lantern title, Rebirth, and from there the rest of the Johns era GL and Tomasi GLC completely hooked me on DC (the Waid Flash and Justice League 1998-2016 only reinforced that).

One of the things that changed mind about Marvel is that when I came back I came back I bought up a dozen subscriptions to my favorites and out of all of them only Iron Man still interested me (though I have to give credit, I do try to keep up with ANAD Avengers, and am first to acknowledge the excellence of Brubaker's early to mid Cap run). These days 95% of my comic reading is DC, the Marvel subscriptions I get around to (at times grudgingly) after I read all the more interesting stuff from DC.

It amazes me that superhero comics from Marvel are outselling DC (baffled throwing up of hands). . To me, Marvel's last truly great era was the late 90s, with the Busiek Avengers and Iron Man (+ fill in the blanks). And to me the last great Marvel era was the late 70s (haven't seen that era matched for Avengers, Spider-Man, or X-men, to name just a few. Not to mention the long gone brilliance of Wolfman's Dracula and Starlin's everything).

But that's just my opinion

BANNED

I used to not hate decompressed storytelling until I read John Ostrander's Spectre series, in which issue after issue passed where nothing happened, although I thought the writing was actually pretty good. The endless price hikes in the industry also told me that it wasn't the same deal as it was when decompression started, back when comics cost 12 cents. I realized that this glacial pacing was just raiding my wallet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I used to not hate decompressed storytelling until I read John Ostrander's Spectre series, in which issue after issue passed where nothing happened, although I thought the writing was actually pretty good. The endless price hikes in the industry also told me that it wasn't the same deal as it was when decompression started, back when comics cost 12 cents. I realized that this glacial pacing was just raiding my wallet.
    I remember buying my first issue of Tomb of Dracula for something like 25 cents back in the day. But hey, I really love the much better paper quality. I can't say the comics quality in general has much improved...which is kind of sad, now that I think of it. How many titles today are better than Wolfman's Tomb of Dracula? I'd love for someone to tell me btw.

Being okay with continuity and character changes. Comic books (characters, designs, storytelling, etc.) are an art form and we have to let it be that. It's a mindset that really helped me think of the possibilities and not just meeting expectations.

BANNED

I had hopes John's Justice League run would be good, but then he had Batman unmask himself in front of Hal Jordan as a kind of pep-talk and I ended the subscription right there.

Fantastic Member

Barry Allen was the Flash when I was a kid, and when he was killed, I couldn't accept Wally. I always liked Wally, but couldn't accept him as Flash. Plus, I was mourning Barry.

Then I read "The Return of Barry Allen," and that changed my mind about Wally. He became my Flash. Besides, Barry didn't really go anywhere--he was constantly appearing in flashback stories.

Now, of course, Wally is still my Flash and I can't accept that Barry has taken over. Go figure...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I had hopes John's Justice League run would be good, but then he had Batman unmask himself in front of Hal Jordan as a kind of pep-talk and I ended the subscription right there.
    Then you missed one of the best JL runs, ever.