Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Götterdämmerung View Post
    Then you missed one of the best JL runs, ever.
    No, from what followed, because I was with a 12 issue subscription, was a load of fanwank and mismanaged characters. And from what I've seen, nothing has changed since.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    No, from what followed, because I was with a 12 issue subscription, was a load of fanwank and mismanaged characters. And from what I've seen, nothing has changed since.
    I completely disagree but hey, to each his own. More power to you.

I used to be fan of Green Arrow, before the new 52 and him turning into a poor man's (and green) version of Batman.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    The first year was rocky but Forever Evil through to today has been great.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Villain's Journey was definitely rocky going. After that I was way on board.

Eh, Johns JL has been serviceable, with a few bright spots of brilliance and a lot of mediocrity. Not the worst thing out there but it often feels very thin and lacks the depth and pathos I want to see in my Justice League. He often hits the right scope, but the threats rarely carry their weight and the characters are thinly written (which is to be expected in a book like JL but other writers often manage to pull some nuance into it).

For me, I was a big proponent of the idea that Superman was just what Clark Kent did to utilize his unique skills. Clark was the man, Superman was the mask. Hey, I came up reading the early 90's Triangle era and didnt know better. Then, when the books began to suck, I started digging into older stuff for my Super-fix and came to the conclusion that "Clark is who I am" goes against what the character was, what he represents, and what he should be. And I have found that I no longer have much patience for that vision and consider it incredibly wrongheaded, though every now and then a writer manages to make it work out well enough (American Alien for example).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I used to think that continuity was the be-all and end-all. Now, I would still LIKE for things to really fit tight, but I now realize how impossible that really is.
    I'm there with ya.
    I loved the post-Crisis take on a tighter continuity... but after years of seeing how confining it can be, along with decompressed storytelling making it even harder to keep a tight continuity with larger chunks having to be accounted for... sometimes I think things were better when, aside from first appearances, costume changes or deaths, comics didn't really interact all that much with each other.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Well, let me talk you through my thoughts on Johns JL stories as I remember them and ofc from what I have actually read of them:
    -Formation: Decent most of the way, but very stupid story, an utterly worthless depiction of Darkseid as a lumbering voiceless fridge the League could punch away at... and ofc the evidence Johns has got a clue about how to write Batman competently with the reveal to Jordan. Plus it got even worse when it was animated into JL: War where most of the brains the story had on paper fell out and reduced Darkseid's role to one that could have been played by Doomsday or some other roaring mosnter.
    -Villains Journey: Wonder Woman throws a massive out of character fit and nearly disembowels Jordan, probably laid the ground work for the half-wit barbarian other DC writers like to use. And some twat no one can remember the name of was upset about loosing some people in the original fight against Darkseid. Oh and it gave us the repulsive Superman/Wonder Woman pairing.
    -Throne of Atlantis: Aquaman fan-writing as massive as any tidal wave... cant decide which was worse; Diana marvelling over a pair of glasses, or Superman and Wonder Woman being knocked out by Aquamans brother.
    -Void... I dont know what came after this honestly.
    -Trinity War+Forever Evil: bloated pile of cancerous tripe. It went on for far too long, was delayed on top of that, featured the most boring and inept version of the CSA I've ever seen and more or less wiped out of the Dark family (arguably thats not the fault of Johns JL as such... but his was the main book of a editorially mandated event). Plus the prelude was basically everyone being an idiot towards other teams.
    -Amazo virus: Void... only heard it had some decent WW fighting stuff in it.
    -Darkseid War: Think this should have been called JL: Anti-Monitor, because it mostly seem to be about him... and lets not forget that Johns is the nearly only guy who actually writes AM outside of COIE, so I guess there's some level of fan writing in this as well... and it only really degrades the brand. Final verdict will have to wait, but if Grail managed to off Trevor or turn him immortal, I am going to say: 'Right so all you can do with Wonder Woman is make her a tennis ball between two guy.' Because Johns is crap at writing romance.

Has to be said though: I have a fair amount of bias against Johns and his writing, it's not that he isn't competent, it's just that he's far less competent than the hype that surrounds him makes him out to be. He promises the world, and usually ends up giving far shorter than that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I thought that the extended Batfamily was dumb and they should only have Bruce, Dick, Barbara, and maybe Tim with Jason as a bad guy. But the characters have grown on me over the years and now I like the Batfamily.
    I was mostly introduced to the extended Batfamily through Death of the Family. At first I was a little wary, but I liked the story and art so much that I got to like them.
    Last edited by Götterdämmerung; 02-28-2016 at 02:34 PM.

Positive - Tim and Cassie. I always thought since Johns' TT and before that with YJ that Connor and Cassie should be together and Tim was to be with Step. Then new 52 gave a fresh new look and I liked the couple.
    - Guy Gardner - I used never get the appeal until I watched Batman Brave and the Bold and I love the guy.
    - Bunker - I thought oh boy a gay superhero whose powers are purple and it was going to be like a caricature but he's been an amazing character. Would be a shame to see him not used in the future.
    - Batman Brave and the Bold - Used to think it was for kids but it was great
    - Damian Wayne - Yeah

Negative - Babs/Dick - The relationship could have always worked but they never wrote it well.
    - Green Arrow - Liked the character until about Season 2 of Arrow. Now i really can't get into Green Arrow
    - BTAS and JLU - I loved when I was younger but now it just doesn't hold up that well. Batman is pretty annoying in it.
    - Stephanie Brown - Thought she was cool and all that but she turned out to be a Spoiler.

I used to not like Greg Rucka's writing - but Gotham Central turned me round.

I used think Geoff Loeb was a great writer (on the strength of Challengers of the Unknown) who should write Superman. His Superman run changed my mind.

Saw an ad in a comic for Batman Brave and the Bold animated, I thought the art looked to kid like and childish. Heard so much good word of mouth and watched it, and REALLY enjoyed it. This is making my hold back my opinion on the new Justice League until I watch it.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Extraordinary Member

I despised Damian as a character while tolerating him as a concept. I've rarely been a fan of Grant Morrison's characterizations in issue or dialogue, so I was kind of resigned to him. Then I got to read a few Red Robin and Batgirl (the original hipster college one) issues and found him legitimately hilarious and tragic.

And I was, for a short time, an optimist with the words "Scott Lobdell" and "Teen Titans." I didn't really go full Lobdell hater until the Trigon arc. I'd though we were getting a well planned Red X storyline that would use Red Robin going crazy via Trigon control to justify why Tim was suddenly acting like a horn dog douche bag. Turned out it was a poorly planned, poorly written piece of drek that confirmed that the Culling hadn't been an anomaly. We were apparently supposed to accept Lobdell just quietly trying to sweep what was Tim and Cassie's rape via demonic influence under the rug after five issues of super repetitive fight scenes. I'd been dying on Teen Titans for a while; I'd only started buying regularly for a while when FabNic took over scripting and started poking fun at some of the concepts. The Trigon arc pushed me out, and the Bar Torr arc was simply confirmation that Lobdell shouldn't be allowed to touch those character.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP