Spectacular Member

Default Marvel Civil War TPB New Printings

Hey all,

With the new Civil War movie right around the corner, looks like Marvel's reprinting a bunch of Civil War trades. Since I wasn't reading comics at the time, I'd like to delve into this event. While the Box Set looks awesome, it's pretty pricey, even on sale, and I'm trying to save some cash with a baby on the way. So, it looks like TPBs of my favorite heroes are the way to go.

That being said, looks like Marvel's repackaging some of their trades to include new content. I know for a fact from browsing around that the 2016 TPB of X-Men and Captain America/Iron Man have new material (or in the case of Cap/IronMan, a combo trade of 2 individual books). Which of the other new printings would be worth getting for included content? Looks like New Avengers/Runaways and Thunderbolts/Heroes for Hire are also some new combo trades coming out, although I may skip these. I tried to find a list but haven't found anything. All my info is mainly just from comparing Amazon and InStockTrades listings of the old trades compared to the new trades. Any help would be great!

Spectacular Member MatchstickJohnny's Avatar

Hi Dmreyn,

Congrats to you and your family for the baby on the way.
    Since TPB is the format you picked I would first get right into the eight issue mini.
    For the others, pick the heroes you like (Spider-Man,New Avengers, Fantastic Four, Wolverine..wow that's a lot already) and go from there. Like every event its OK to stick with the core title to understand the story. It just so happens that the event interrupts the normal flow of the regular title and may or may not add to the event at all. Buy what you like and enjoy what you read.
    Last edited by MatchstickJohnny; 03-11-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dmreyn View Post
    Hey all,

With the new Civil War movie right around the corner, looks like Marvel's reprinting a bunch of Civil War trades. Since I wasn't reading comics at the time, I'd like to delve into this event. While the Box Set looks awesome, it's pretty pricey, even on sale, and I'm trying to save some cash with a baby on the way. So, it looks like TPBs of my favorite heroes are the way to go.

That being said, looks like Marvel's repackaging some of their trades to include new content. I know for a fact from browsing around that the 2016 TPB of X-Men and Captain America/Iron Man have new material (or in the case of Cap/IronMan, a combo trade of 2 individual books). Which of the other new printings would be worth getting for included content? Looks like New Avengers/Runaways and Thunderbolts/Heroes for Hire are also some new combo trades coming out, although I may skip these. I tried to find a list but haven't found anything. All my info is mainly just from comparing Amazon and InStockTrades listings of the old trades compared to the new trades. Any help would be great!
    The Spider-Man stuff is essential to the story in my opinion. Not sure how/if it is getting reprinted for the new cycle of books but it adds a lot of understanding to what is going on.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    The Spider-Man stuff is essential to the story in my opinion. Not sure how/if it is getting reprinted for the new cycle of books but it adds a lot of understanding to what is going on.
    I'm a huge Spider-Man fan, so that's a given. I already have the "Amazing" part of the series covered in my JMS trade collections. With the reprintings going on, it seems stupid that there's no listing for Spider-Man Civil War TPB with the Sensational and Friendly Neighborhood arcs included with the Amazing arc, but as of now it looks like they're going to make separate trades. Hopefully I'm proven wrong, as sometimes Amazon doesn't have updated solicits of reprinted trades until after they hit the market.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Is this Marvel official reading order accepted by everyone:
    http://marvel.com/comics/discover/11...complete-event

I'm thinking of custom binding Civil War eventually, but just with the heroes/franchises I like and leave out the rest.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

All-New Member

I'm in the same boat as the OP. What I did was get the Civil War TPB. this one: http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Mark...ords=civil+war I read it and enjoyed it. I contemplated getting some of the other character Civil War books, but realized that some of them are not going to be in the movie, so I decided not to. I did get the Amazing Spiderman Civil War book though. This one: http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spider...rman+civil+war . Mostly because my LCS is destroyed in the story.