Default OMNIBUSes/TPBs and Conventions - an OCD question for the frequent convention geek

In a few weeks I'll be hitting up my first convention in years and I couldn't be more excited. I'll be meeting various creators and getting their signatures on various types of publications - comics/floppies, trades (standard sized), hardcovers (IDW and standard sized) and omnibuses (re: Marvel sized), and an oversized.

I will be lugging them around in my backpack and do not wish for them to freely moving, given possibility of damage. Ideally I'll be hitting up the grocery store for several casserole type plastic containers to haul the gear around in.

For folks that attend shows often and run into this issue - what do you recommend to purchase? Do you a particular brand, style, size, etc?

I find out of character if one of us didn't pipe up with "yeah, the XYZ brand is best for Omnis, the ABC is good for floppies, and the lid doesn't pop off" sure as the sun would rise or us piping up when someone argues it doesn't matter if Han shot first (said with geek love, and tongue-in-cheek).

Given your experience - what have you found works for you?

Regarding me - I will be taking one omnibus, one IDW hardcover, three trades, three hardcovers, a handful of floppies, and blu ray covers that I want signed.
    I love comics and make art. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ARose...9658123?ref=hl

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by arosenbarger View Post
    In a few weeks I'll be hitting up my first convention in years and I couldn't be more excited. I'll be meeting various creators and getting their signatures on various types of publications - comics/floppies, trades (standard sized), hardcovers (IDW and standard sized) and omnibuses (re: Marvel sized), and an oversized.

I will be lugging them around in my backpack and do not wish for them to freely moving, given possibility of damage. Ideally I'll be hitting up the grocery store for several casserole type plastic containers to haul the gear around in.

For folks that attend shows often and run into this issue - what do you recommend to purchase? Do you a particular brand, style, size, etc?

I find out of character if one of us didn't pipe up with "yeah, the XYZ brand is best for Omnis, the ABC is good for floppies, and the lid doesn't pop off" sure as the sun would rise or us piping up when someone argues it doesn't matter if Han shot first (said with geek love, and tongue-in-cheek).

Given your experience - what have you found works for you?

Regarding me - I will be taking one omnibus, one IDW hardcover, three trades, three hardcovers, a handful of floppies, and blu ray covers that I want signed.
    That's a lot of books to carry all at once. You probably need a rolling suitcase unless you want to murder your back with a standard backpack. Though some cons are starting to ban rolling suitcases. I once carried two Omnibuses and a standard HC in a backpack for one day along with other odds and ends and I wouldn't do it again. Just not worth it. Unless you're going to a multi-day thing and are only taking certain books on certain days, then it might be more feasible.

Maybe you need extra protection for TPBs and any floppies that aren't bagged and boarded, and those loose Blu-Ray covers if they're not in the case. Otherwise, if the stuff is relatively snug in a backpack or suitcase, you don't really need to go overboard with protection. As long as you remember not to slam your backpack on the ground, the contents be fine. Hardcovers can withstand someone accidentally bumping into your backpack when you're drowning in a sea of people on the convention floor.

I've personally never seen anyone use plastic casserole type containers - that seems like overkill in a standard backpack. Plus you'd have to line the Tupperware with packing material to fill up any extra space. If you bring a sweatshirt or sweater, which you certainly won't want to wear on the convention floor when it's full of bodies heating the place up, that's usually a good item to use as extra protection for your items in a backpack.

The other thing to consider is time. Unless these writers and artists are relatively obscure or un-promoted, you're going to spend a lot of time waiting in lines, whether it's at an official company booth signing and often times at artist alley type tables as well. I once spent hours in a line because the writer/artist was also unexpectedly freely doing sketches for everyone. It was a cool experience and totally worth the free sketch, but it killed like 2/3rds of my day. If there are panels or presentations you want to see, waiting to get a dozen signatures is likely going to hamper that experience - unless your plan is to ambush the people after panel presentations where they may or may not be nice enough to sign your stuff.

If you're hoping for multiple signatures from the same person, also check ahead to see if there are limits to the number of things they'll sign. Some people will sign dozens of things for free. Some will have cut off limits. Some will charge money after a certain number of free ones. Etc.

Last year I took a few omnibi to get signed and sketched on. It was such a pain. I just carried them back and forth from my car whenever I got a set signed.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

Besides getting stuff signed and meeting creators, whats there to do at conventions? Buy books? Look at stuff? Idk what goes on at one becuase ive never been.

Get a program for the events of the day.Panel discussions,presentations,etc.Whatever you're interested in.My advice to you would be to knock out your signings first.I waited for Darwyn Cooke for 40 min.in Baltimore,and the rest of the day was open for me.
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion564 View Post
    Last year I took a few omnibi to get signed and sketched on. It was such a pain. I just carried them back and forth from my car whenever I got a set signed.
    this is the same thing i did with my absolutes \ idw artist editions. get their early and park as close as you can

All-New Member

My go to autograph item has been dvd/blu ray covers for a couple of years now. The last few conventions I have brought several to possibly get signed, then decide, once I see the lines, which ones to actually wait for. I always take the cover art out of the keep case and leave the case at home. I put the cover art between two pieces of cardboard, and then in a USPS priority mail envelope that I got for free at the post office. I then have a heavy cardstock oversize envelope that I put the three or four priority mail envelopes in. Put that envelope in my backpack. Haven't had a problem yet.