Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Who is the Greatest Batman Artist of All-Time?

CSBG's countdown concludes, revealing the best Batman artists of all-time! Who made the top spot? Jim Lee? Neal Adams? David Mazzucchelli?

Full article here.

I have zero complaints about numbers 1-3. Adams and Aparo are always at the top for what I consider "The Classic Batman", and I'll always love Mazzuchelli's Year One.

I'm actually surprised that Neal Adams is number one. I like his work, but number 1? Kind of weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Badguy View Post
    I'm actually surprised that Neal Adams is number one. I like his work, but number 1? Kind of weird.
    He's #1 because he's #1.

I have a tough time telling the difference between adams and Aparo... but regardless, they are definitely my top 2... in some order or other

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Pretty funny that Jim Lee is that high on the list. I like and respect Lee for what he has done in comics, but well, that's just funny

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Badguy View Post
    Why is it weird? Like the article says, his Batman work was like a seismic shift. Decades later, the Batman we have today is the one Adams defined.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Pretty funny that Jim Lee is that high on the list. I like and respect Lee for what he has done in comics, but well, that's just funny
    Never really thought of Jim as a big Batman drawer either. I could have seen Kelley Jones or Tim Sale on the list instead of Jim.

I have never been a big Jim Arpo fan. His work always looked boring and stiff to me, but I think a lot of people rank him so high due to the amount of Batman output he produced over so many decades.

Neal Adams is by far #1 to me. Norm Breyfogle is #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Never really thought of Jim as a big Batman drawer either. I could have seen Kelley Jones or Tim Sale on the list instead of Jim.
    He did good work... and I think he was promoted a lot more he deserved for the 'amount' of work he did. 'Hush' and 'All Star' were MASSIVELY promoted and advertised and made into huge circuses...

Honestly, Lee "IS" one of the first ones that came to mind when I read the title... even if he didn't do as much Batman as some of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I have never been a big Jim Arpo fan. His work always looked boring and stiff to me, but I think a lot of people rank him so high due to the amount of Batman output he produced over so many decades.

Neal Adams is by far #1 to me. Norm Breyfogle is #2.

Possibly.

The Adams/Aparo 'look' is Iconic. When I think of Batman THOSE are the images that I see in my head and have for decades.

I had a feeling that Adams would get the top spot, but for some reason, I've always liked Aparo a bit better. I have no idea why.

Incredible Member

Adams would have been my #1 as well. When I think Batman artists his is the first name that pops up. Good list but I would have taken out Mazzucchelli and replace him with Marshall Rogers.

I feel like we've had this poll before.... regardless, my favorite would be Tim Sale or Neal Adams.
    Formerly known as YMCMB

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I'm not so much amused as relieved that he didn't come any higher