Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

The costumes serve a purpose
    1 Civilian can tell the heros apart from themselves
    2 you can tell diff team members from further away or mixed in a crowd
    3 some like Storms lockpick holder or Banshee's wings serve a point
    4the Xmen are a family not a military they should be should have some personal expression on the outfit
    5the argument that the costumes are not realistic or seem silly does not hold up because it' not realastic to shoot lasers out off ur eyes or turn to steel ect.

image.jpg

Ultimate Member

This debate is a little redundant now seeing that Fox themselves are actually embracing "some" of the color of the X-men costumes.

Deadpool was literally the character brought to life and X-men Apocalypse has some of the team wear their comic costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This debate is a little redundant now seeing that Fox themselves are actually embracing "some" of the color of the X-men costumes.

Deadpool was literally the character brought to life and X-men Apocalypse has some of the team wear their comic costumes.
    As far as I can see, hey haven't really embraced all that much.

Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post

True, looks like black all around.

Well, at least we have Deadpool.

True enough. Deadpool's costume looked awesome. Yeah, there were a lot of practical elements, but the full-on red was awesome in live-action.

I remember a friend of mine kept on saying "Hey. X-Men: Apocalypse takes place in the 80s. Maybe they'll use bright, neon colours." Dang, no such luck.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Do you see any "X" on the costumes? No because they're likely from Moira/CIA/etc. The main plot of the film is the establishment of the X-Men (Hank said it in the trailer, the only time that one of the X-Men calls them "X-Men"). There's also a leaked photo of Jean Grey in the inspired 90s costume. I'm pretty sure we'll see the colored costumes, Cyclops having his visor,... at the end of the movie

Well, there is a price for having Psylocke dressed like that, you know.........................................

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
    How do you figure? Thor looked like Thor. Hulk looked right. Iron Man and War Machine worked well. Captain America looked great (I prefer his helmet over the "wings"), Black Panther looks good, Black Widow works just fine as well as Thanos, Loki and Ant-Man.

Now, take a picture of the Fox X-Men and cover up their faces (retract Wolvies claws) and tell someone with just basic comic book X-Men knowledge to identify which characters are wearing the costumes, and I would happily bet that most couldnt do it correctly (including myself if I had never seen them before).
    Thor and Loki didnt had helmets, Hulk is just purple shorts and CGI, Black Widow is no different from SHIELD agent, and if Thanos counts then Apocalypse also counts then.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Thor and Loki didnt had helmets, Hulk is just purple shorts and CGI, Black Widow is no different from SHIELD agent, and if Thanos counts then Apocalypse also counts then.
    Yes they did. Granted, Thor only wore his helmet for a short ceremony but that wasnt too distracting as it would have fallen off a lot in battle anyways. Loki wore his helmet much more in the films, save for "Thor: The Dark World".
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    To say any, and every, suit can make the transition is false.
    Yes, it is false to say that . . . . . which is probably why nobody has said that.

Amazing Member

This feels like a case that brushes up against something that bothers me but doesn't really get there. As a rule I prefer when mediums get "live action movies" I dislike when they make them more like the live action movie then the source. I like super hero comics but at the same time I find the current slate of action movies rather boring by comparison. So most of the marvel films period have fallen short of expectations to me.

But at the same time, the costume aesthetic itself doesn't bother me that much. If they wrote the characters and movies like they did the comics but had them wear more realistic clothes, I don't think that would really affect my liking of it or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKINKARUS View Post
    Fox-Men fans say this all the time, but it's not even remotely the same stuff. Marvel makes the comic costumes more practical, but they still significantly look like the original comic source. Fox completely throws out all comic costumes, no matter who the character is, or what the character looks like, and slaps black leather on them. You can look at a Marvel costume, and instantly distinguish who the character is. On the other end, unless the character has adamantium claws or blue skin, then all of Fox's costumes look exactly the same.

Personally, I couldn't care less about practicality, and today's casual audiences have proven that they obviously don't care much neither. So the whole "will not/cannot translate" excuse for comic costumes on a post-Marvel cinema stage is absolute bull. I'm also really sick and tired of people spittin' the whole "yellow spandex" drivel, because nobody is askin' for that neither. Any and every character has had a dozen different costumes over the years, many of which can, and will, translate to film.
    Scott still has his visor, Ororo still has her white hair and arm drapes, Jean is still a red head, Beast is still blue. Not to mention the different powers and fighting styles the characters employ. You don't need different costumes to make the character stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Yes, because Hawkeye, Falcon, Quicksilver, Thor, and Scarlet Witch look so much like the comic versions, right? The best adaptations are of those of characters that have the best look that can make the transition.

To say any, and every, suit can make the transition is false.
    Actually Hawkeye and Falcon were based on their Ultimate counterparts, Thor seemed to be a mix of 616 and Ultimate and Scarlet Witch seemed at least somewhat based on her Marvel Now costume minus the tiara. Quicksilver's the only one who seemed to have an entirely original look.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, there is a price for having Psylocke dressed like that, you know.........................................

Loki used his helmet for some good time. Hulk looks great. Black Widow looks like a SHIELD agent but the SHIELD agents costumes are mostly awesome.

New JerZ. You KNOW something! Tell me what you know!

That's all well and good, but the Batman and Robin movie fiasco is a distant past. There have been a number of box office smashing superhero movies made since those days. The excuse that "Batman and Robin made me go the other way" is over, especially since the Raimi Spider-Man movies and the MCU have proven that you can do colourful costumes and still be immensely successful. Batman and Robin, on top of being a garish looking movie that did not fit the movie at all, was also an awful movie.

If you catch even small glimpses of what the junior X-Men are wearing X-Men: Apocalypse, you can see the kind of abominations that they are. Ugly, ugly abominations.
    We haven't seen the film yet. The outfit isn't an X-Uniform, obviously, because it looks to have been provided by Moira or Mystique and NOT Xavier (if we're to take the trailer into account). There's a reason why Scott doesn't have his visor: the outfits were chosen spur of the moment to save the day. Keep in mind that this Xavier doesn't want to have heroes or a military, he wants to run a school; therefore, it doesn't make sense to have outfits at all.

The tone of the X-Films isn't as light as the MCU films or Spiderman and there isn't anything wrong with them straying from that aspect (the colourful costumes) of the comics. And this is the 80s: I don't see the point in them getting outfits until the series moves into the 90s.

Deadpool was filmed before this and it took a chance because it had significantly smaller budget: I'm pretty sure FOX will follow suit after Apocalypse, when it comes to character design. Now they see there's a market for that in-house.
    Author of X-Forums.

Follow Goddess on Instagram.

These dismarvel's fanboys will always complaining about anything Fox's X-men. Even if the cast wearing comic book accurate costume, they will find another thing to complain. Like when Psylocke wearing her comic book accurate costume.

They (dismarvel's fanboys) are not true X-men's fans, they just butthurted that Fox's X-men doing great while their so called "great" marvel's movies are just children sugar coated treat.

True X-men fans like moi, while we want comic accurate costume, but we don't whine everytime Fox reveal something about their X-men movies. We understand the change, and we know perfectly that the movies are in different universe, and we happy and support the movies because it's X-men. Not because it's Fox or it's dismarvel.
    ꦩꦒ꧀ꦤꦺꦠꦺꦴ ꦩꦺꦩꦁ ꦧꦼꦤꦂ