View Poll Results: Which extended Batman run did you like better? Grant Morrison's or Scott Snyder's?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • I liked Grant Morrison's only

46 56.79%
  • I liked Scott Snyder's only

14 17.28%
  • I liked both equally

16 19.75%
  • I did not like either one

5 6.17%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Which extended Batman run did you like better? Grant Morrison's or Scott Snyder's?

I know both runs were very popular to Batman readers. I am just curious which extended run resonated more with Batman readers. Feel free to also share your opinion for either one here.

I liked both but its thanks to morrison that i will almost always give batman and its characters a chance no matter what genre it is or era it is.
    And i liked how he inverted batman and robin with a lighter batman and darker robin.

I like Snyder's run, but i like Morrison's better.

I like them both but Morrison is better.Few weeks ago Snyder said Grant wrote Batman better than him.

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/stat...66125962502144

I don't write as well as Grant, but his guidance helped me write what I was passionate about, even if risky
    Last edited by H4l3quin; 02-27-2016 at 11:23 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Morrison by a landslide. So far it's been the best balance of writing Bruce as a compelling, awesome character while surrounding him with the Bat-Family. The interactions between Bruce, Dick, Damian and Alfred were the highlights of his run. The new villains he created, though in dire need of some depth, were fun with their garish designs and gimmicks. It is probably overall my favorite run of Batman comics outside of some Bronze Age stuff and stand alone graphic novels.

Extraordinary Member

Morrison easily.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Well, I liked Morrison's better, but that isn't an option in your poll. You have "I liked_____only" as an option.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Snyder has at times done very good work but I'll probably remember the Snyder era more for the truly great art of Capullo. Morrison had one of the truly all time great runs on the character, it was of the quality the likes of which is rare as hen's teeth.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

I like both, but, yes, Snyder's misstep is the lack of the Bat Family team chemistry in his stories. Even his new characters, in Harper, and Duke, barely interact with Bruce.

Damian missing from Superheavy is quite striking, but I blame this on editorial. Snyder, and the Bat Office, wanted him dead, but I'm sure the higher ups said "No, bring him back...we have animated movies to force him into."

Still, I love his Bats/Joker relationship, and how his take on Batman emphasizes that while he's cool, and awesome, it's a major burden. Bruce is far more grounded, and relatable, in some aspects, under his pen. Once/if he gets back on Tec, we'll only see him do much better, too!

I'd rather he did Jason Todd tho...

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

When Morrison's run started, I told myself (and other people) I wouldn't keep up with it. And, for a few issues, I didn't. Then I ran back to get those issues and stuck with it nonstop for everything else through to the end. Gets a lot of rereads, too.

When Snyder started, I intended to give it a shot. I'd heard good things. And, I couldn't bother. It was probably good, it just wasn't for me.

I have enjoyed some of Snyder's Batman, and some things he engineered with other writers, but things like the Court of Owls just turned me off cold. I'm almost antagonistic to some of those comics, the way they hit me, only being tempered by how much he has excited other readers.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    I like both, but, yes, Snyder's misstep is the lack of the Bat Family team chemistry in his stories. Even his new characters, in Harper, and Duke, barely interact with Bruce.

Damian missing from Superheavy is quite striking, but I blame this on editorial. Snyder, and the Bat Office, wanted him dead, but I'm sure the higher ups said "No, bring him back...we have animated movies to force him into."

Still, I love his Bats/Joker relationship, and how his take on Batman emphasizes that while he's cool, and awesome, it's a major burden. Bruce is far more grounded, and relatable, in some aspects, under his pen. Once/if he gets back on Tec, we'll only see him do much better, too!

I'd rather he did Jason Todd tho...
    No,Morrison wanted him dead,the Bat office wanted him alive. Tomasi and Gleason fought for him back in the day and it had nothing to do with animated movies,Jesus people need to let go of their inferiority complex.

Morrison easily. I still remember seeing the Batman and Robin issue with the villian Flamenco on the cover for the first time and hearing Prince's, When Doves Cry, in my head.

BANNED

Morrison a million times over. Snyder was a really good standard Batman run. Morrison was a transcendent run that was a complete deconstruction and rebuilding of a character in a purer form.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I've really liked both, but love Grant's run far more. Of course this poll's answer options are quite insufficient.

Morrison was a transcendent run that was a complete deconstruction and rebuilding of a character in a purer form.
    Yup. And a run just chock full of great moments of every variety...funny, bad@ss, sad, romantic, etc. And the run was a true genre exploration with Batman, going thru all the types of stories you can do with this amazing hero.

Grant doesn't get enough credit for all the old characters he enriched in the run...Kathy Kane (he made an amazing character out of her!), the Club of Heroes characters (like Batman Inc #7 with MofBats & Raven....just a great little story), Joker, Darkseid, Talia (albeit Grant took her to an extreme place in order to play out this super-divorce, a place some were not quite used to (though she'd been quite veering toward that direction since the 90s)).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-29-2016 at 07:19 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I've really liked both, but love Grant's run far more. Of course this poll's answer options are quite insufficient.

Yup. And a run just chock full of great moments of every variety...funny, bad@ss, sad, romantic, etc. And the run was a true genre exploration with Batman, going thru all the types of stories you can do with this amazing hero.

Grant doesn't get enough credit for all the old characters he enriched in the run...Kathy Kane (he made an amazing character out of her!), the Club of Heroes characters (like Batman Inc #7 with MofBats & Raven....just a great little story), Joker, Darkseid, Talia (albeit Grant took her to an extreme place in order to play out this super-divorce, a place some were not quite used to (though she'd been quite veering toward that direction since the 90s)).
    Yep, this is why I prefer Morrison, too.

I think snyder's great, but his stories are quite often the same tone, whereas Morrison was able to tell a variety of stories with the character.

I also really admire his approach that ALL Batman stories existed. The necessary squaring of circles there led to some really interesting stuff.
    I'm on Twitter! @alex_jamieson