Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Cavill really is amazing in the role. And he's not as pretty as a lot of the other actors who've played Superman; he looks like he could have grown up tossing hay on a farm, but he's still good looking. I really hate a "pretty boy" Superman; let the guy look like he knows what hard work is, you know?
    henry cavill is one of the most handsome supermen, maybe only behind christopher Reeves.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

If it's just his origin story, sure. Although if they did a depowered Superman, I think he would look better with a leather jacket over his T-shirt though.

Retired

In the movies and TV shows, the heroes spend a lot less time in their actual costume than they do in the comics. We often see them only wearing part of their costume--especially when they're just hanging out with their cohorts. Or we see the hero called upon to do some stunts while he's in his civilian garb.

I put this down to the costumes being such a pain for the actors, that they try to shoot as many scenes as possible where the actor doesn't have to be sweating in full costume.

There's no reason Superman has to have one costume. The special outfit with all the detailing and the cape could just be his formal dress uniform. There's no reason he has to suit up for every scene--and some informal action outfit might be in order.

BANNED

It should happen in the future. And I think moviegoers will happily accept it, the general public already thinks he's lame. I think this look would appeal to them. The look is shaping up to be iconic.
    Last edited by Starchild; 02-28-2016 at 03:29 PM.

Okay, yeah, something like that could definitely work, though if things are serious enough for Clark to be beat to hell and bleeding and his costume is shredded,
    Could be elements of the old 'Panic in the Sky' coupled with 'Return'.

how a pair of Levi's and a t-shirt are going to hold up is beyond me. They'd have to use some clever camera angles for Superman's modesty and the PG-13 rating.
    This is where the bio-aura comes in useful - and Clark's trousers, while tattered, were reasonably intact (in key areas) in MoS after the fire on the oil rig, so maybe he has a little bit of that in the movieverse

Back for noon feeding The Shredder's Avatar

Considering Hollywood's track record with film adaptations of Superheroes often changing the look or costume of Heroes/Villains, I'm sure the T-shirt and jeans look could easily be incorporated in the Extended Universe of films if that's what WB/DC chooses to do.

Do I particularly want to see Henry Cavill battling say, Brainiac/Bizarro/Metallo/Parasite/ect in a Superman shirt and jeans? Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    It should happen in the future. And I think moviegoers will happily accept it, the general public already thinks he's lame. I think this look would appeal to them. The look is shaping up to be iconic.
    What exactly are you basing this on?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What exactly are you basing this on?
    Seems pretty obvious to me. It's a look that emphasizes his connection with the common man- and nothing's more important to Superman than that.

And I think it looks pretty good in Truth as well as Superman and the Men of Steel. I wish it had stayed around longer, but since it didn't, I'm really glad they brought it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Seems pretty obvious to me. It's a look that emphasizes his connection with the common man- and nothing's more important to Superman than that.

And I think it looks pretty good in Truth as well as Superman and the Men of Steel. I wish it had stayed around longer, but since it didn't, I'm really glad they brought it back.
    That doesn't make it iconic. given how little he's worn it compared to other costumes.

Yeah, its not going to end up anything iconic. I mean, I know it was fairly popular when Morrison did it for the origin, and that probably played a role into a version of the look returning for Truth, but there was never much chance of it ever being anything more than just a secondary occasional thing, and now that Truth has flopped as badly as it has, there's a good chance we never see it again period.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I think Truth is fascinating, and no worse than the earlier part of Pak's run. His first issue was about Superman, in a t-shirt, doing exactly what I want Superman to do, but failing to accomplish his goal for the story, and it was immediately followed up with a multi-issue story about Superman doing exactly what I want Superman to do, but failing to accomplish his goal and being regarded with distrust and suspicion- and everybody loved it and I was ambivalent. Now that he's been telling the exact same kind of story, everybody hates it- and I'm ambivalent.

But I'm going waay off topic of course.

I suppose you're right that the t-shirt look isn't exactly iconic, whatever that means. I think it's a powerful image, and I think it's the kind of image that cannot stay away for too long, now that we've hit on it. It's too good.

Do I want it in movies? I don't know. But I know I want it in comics, and lots of them.

DC certainly seems to understand how popular the t-shirt looks has become; they're always looking for excuses to go back to that look.

Pak's first issue.

The first arc of Superman-Batman.

Future's End.

Truth.

H'el on Earth (or whatever the arc was when Superboy was wearing Clark's costume for a bit).

That's at least five returns to the t-shirt in as many years by at least three creative teams. Now, Truth's failings might mean that we don't see the costume return, but H'el on Earth wasn't exactly lauded as a massive success either and we've seen the t-shirt since then.

Now, is it iconic? Not even a little bit. Could it eventually become iconic? I think maybe it could be, if DC continued to push that look and it began to seep into other media formats. It'll never rival the classic costume, and I doubt it'll ever become instantly recognizable to the general public, but I think it could very well become a regular facet within the comics and something that comic fans, even those who don't read Superman, recognize and immediately associate with the character (as opposed to Superboy or an Elseworlds or whatever). Much like Batman's big mech suits, the t-shirt could end up being one of Clark's "go to" costume alternatives.

And who knows, in another seventy years it might be extremely well known. I doubt it, but its possible. I already have a magnet on my fridge with that costume so who knows?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

DC certainly seems to understand how popular the t-shirt looks has become; they're always looking for excuses to go back to that look.

Pak's first issue.

Future's End.

Truth.

H'el on Earth (or whatever the arc was when Superboy was wearing Clark's costume for a bit).

That's at least five returns to the t-shirt in as many years by at least three creative teams. Now, Truth's failings might mean that we don't see the costume return, but H'el on Earth wasn't exactly lauded as a massive success either and we've seen the t-shirt since then.

Now, is it iconic? Not even a little bit. Could it eventually become iconic? I think maybe it could be, if DC continued to push that look and it began to seep into other media formats. It'll never rival the classic costume, and I doubt it'll ever become instantly recognizable to the general public, but I think it could very well become a regular facet within the comics and something that comic fans, even those who don't read Superman, recognize and immediately associate with the character (as opposed to Superboy or an Elseworlds or whatever). Much like Batman's big mech suits, the t-shirt could end up being one of Clark's "go to" costume alternatives.

And who knows, in another seventy years it might be extremely well known. I doubt it, but its possible. I already have a magnet on my fridge with that costume so who knows?
    But I don't like Superman in a T-shirt, because it makes him look too much like me!

/sarc off

BANNED

Pak's first issue.

Future's End.

Truth.

I don't think jeans and t-shirt are popular, but DC probably things the high sales on the morrison were because of it ahhahah oh DC

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    But I don't like Superman in a T-shirt, because it makes him look too much like me!

/sarc off
    Um....then congratulations on being super ripped?

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    I don't think jeans and t-shirt are popular, but DC probably things the high sales on the morrison were because of it ahhahah oh DC
    I have no idea how popular it is. I know that a lot of people here seem to like it, and a few other sites I've been to also seem to like it, but that's far from a scientific measurement. And I very much doubt you can back up your claim either. You're just assuming the majority think like you do. Granted, Im not doing much more than that, but I am taking into account how often DC has worked that costume back into their stories, which is telling, if far from proof.

And no, Im quite sure DC understands that Morrison's success was because of Morrison. Its Grant frikkin Morrison; he's one of the most prolific writers in the industry and most likely the biggest name currently working, as Moore and Gaiman and Ellis barely do comics anymore. Bendis and Johns certainly have the most mainstream appeal, but from a technical/critical standpoint they're working with coloring books while Morrison is painting ceilings in Italy.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.