Thread: New to DC

Incredible Member

Default New to DC

So I have gotten into the Batman books in the New 52. I was wondering which stories are still considered canon from pre-52 that I should read. I've tried researching over the internet but there's just mixed answers everywhere.

Amazing Member

It's kind of hard to say. A few of the old stories were simply reworked into Batman: Zero Year (pretty much his entire first year in Gotham I guess), including "No Man's Land" and the Joker's origin story. Most of the Batman Inc stuff happened in one way or the other. "The Killing Joke" definitely happened in some form as well, and I believe that "Gates of Gotham", "The Black Mirror" and most of Bat-Dick (Grayson) as Batman happened to an extent.

Not sure about stories like "The Long Halloween" and such, but I think the general idea for DC's Batman line is that most of the major stories still took place, just in a slightly different form/over a compressed time frame. All stories involving Cass Cain and Stephanie Brown have either been erased, or took place in a different way, not involving those characters.

Incredible Member

Didn't Two Face get a new origin story tho?

Amazing Member

I believe he did. Skipped it though, so I'm not too sure how it played out. Also, I believe Falcone was never killed in the new continuity. There still might have been a Holiday killer of some sort though.

no one knows...it wasnt planned...maybe batman rebirth will start a clearer path for the dark night!
    MY Pull List: MARVEL: Amazing Spider-man, Spider-Man 2099, Star Wars DC: Earth 2: society, Superman, Action, Batman, Batman Beyond, titans, teen titans; IMAGE: Lazarus, Outcast, Southern Bastards IDW: Star Trek: Boldly Go VALIANT Ninjak

Incredible Member

Interesting

We are 50 issues in and the whole history is still a mystery. Now I'm trying to figure out where Darkseid War fits into the batman timeline and that's 5 years into this whole debacle lol.

''I shall become a bat.'' masahikotahara's Avatar

I really hope DC will let the Rebirth event be less drastic for continuity, maybe even roll things back some.

With the mess they've made starting with The New 52 (if only for the 5-year timeline and Tim Drake never being Robin), I was moving on from continuity freak to just enjoying good stories without too much thinking about where/when/if stories counted, at least post-Flashpoint.

I know that's the way you should read comics anyway, according to a lot of people, but I like the timeline idea, like the history of the Robins and the emotions and family ties that brings.

Come on, DC! Be great again!

2000px-DC_Bullet.jpg.jpg
    Visit my website: http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com for a timeline of Batman comics from Batman: Year One to Flashpoint,
    The New 52 and Rebirth!

CANON! CHRONOLOGY! READING ORDER!

...AND MORE...

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    So I have gotten into the Batman books in the New 52. I was wondering which stories are still considered canon from pre-52 that I should read. I've tried researching over the internet but there's just mixed answers everywhere.
    Mixed answers because little as far as official comments on this topic. The Killing Joke, Knightfall, Black Mirror, No Man's Land, Hush, A Death in the Family, The Cult, etc...biggies like this...all still happened (Snyder confirmed many in various social media places around 2011). I'd say DC would say that anything that was really popular still happened (Snyder said this too). I'd recommend reading any popular pre-FP Batman stories as all or most happened and all are just great reads. Read Monster Men and Mad Monk, read Long Halloween, read Prey, read Blades, read Man Who Laughs, read Year One, read Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, read Blind Justice, read The Cult, read Son of the Demon & Birth of the Demon, read Tales of the Demon, read Strange Apparitions, read Going Sane, etc.

Didio and/or Snyder said DC took that view that the franchises that would change the least were the ones that sold the best (weren't broke), and of course Batman (and family) comics sell the very best.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-03-2016 at 08:27 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Mixed answers because little as far as official comments on this topic. The Killing Joke, Knightfall, Black Mirror, No Man's Land, Hush, A Death in the Family, The Cult, etc...biggies like this...all still happened (Snyder confirmed many in various social media places around 2011). I'd say DC would say that anything that was really popular still happened (Snyder said this too). I'd recommend reading any popular pre-FP Batman stories as all or most happened and all are just great reads. Read Monster Men and Mad Monk, read Long Halloween, read Prey, read Blades, read Man Who Laughs, read Year One, read Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, read Blind Justice, read The Cult, read Son of the Demon & Birth of the Demon, read Tales of the Demon, read Strange Apparitions, read Going Sane, etc.

Didio and/or Snyder said DC took that view that the franchises that would change the least were the ones that sold the best (weren't broke), and of course Batman (and family) comics sell the very best.
    Cool thanks man. Too bad some of this books are OOP and paying $150 for a trade is insane.